U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 AM

2,978 posts, read 1,066,770 times

Advertisements

Seventh....thanks for boiling down all the changes and investments that are occuring in Mott Haven to "How is Bruckner Bar & Grill contributing to solving the problems of the neighborhood." I seem to go in circles with many of you and/or you do not read or understand the posting. Let's try taking this to the Romper Room Level:

1-A new Rite-Aid changes nothing. Nobody is opening a Rite-Aid because it will solve the problems, nobody asserts that either. They are opening a new Rite-AId b/c they see an opportunity to make money = there is no competition and there is a demand for it.
2-A new bar changes nothing (see above for the reason)
3-A new "whatever" changes nothing. (see #1 for the reason)

But TOGETHER, all of the STEPS and improvements (none of which I will retype in this posting) are just that..STEPS in a process. People do not have to FLEE the nieghborhood, they can live in quality housing. People don't have to go outside of the Bronx or their community to find mainstream products, they are now available locally. People do not have to travel outside of their community for dry cleaning, decent supermarkets, restuarants, entertainment, etc...as they are now/or are becoming available locally. They can enjoy tree lined streets, community gardens, new parks, etc....as these improvements continue to be made.

Is this SOLVING any problems? No...its not suposed to be the single solution...they are STEPS in a process that will take TIME. Of course, we can always do nothing, prevent investment, and let things rot..b/c a new Rite-Aid, bar, Restuarant, Park, Tree, Home, Coffee Shop, etc changes nothing right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 65,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Seventh....thanks for boiling down all the changes and investments that are occuring in Mott Haven to "How is Bruckner Bar & Grill contributing to solving the problems of the neighborhood." I seem to go in circles with many of you and/or you do not read or understand the posting. Let's try taking this to the Romper Room Level:

1-A new Rite-Aid changes nothing. Nobody is opening a Rite-Aid because it will solve the problems, nobody asserts that either. They are opening a new Rite-AId b/c they see an opportunity to make money = there is no competition and there is a demand for it.
2-A new bar changes nothing (see above for the reason)
3-A new "whatever" changes nothing. (see #1 for the reason)

But TOGETHER, all of the STEPS and improvements (none of which I will retype in this posting) are just that..STEPS in a process. People do not have to FLEE the nieghborhood, they can live in quality housing. People don't have to go outside of the Bronx or their community to find mainstream products, they are now available locally. People do not have to travel outside of their community for dry cleaning, decent supermarkets, restuarants, entertainment, etc...as they are now/or are becoming available locally. They can enjoy tree lined streets, community gardens, new parks, etc....as these improvements continue to be made.

Is this SOLVING any problems? No...its not suposed to be the single solution...they are STEPS in a process that will take TIME. Of course, we can always do nothing, prevent investment, and let things rot..b/c a new Rite-Aid, bar, Restuarant, Park, Tree, Home, Coffee Shop, etc changes nothing right?
But you just said it yourself! IT IS NOT SOLVING ANYTHING. Who cares about new shops, when many of the residents can't afford the things in them anyway? How many shops have you seen open and close, in the blink of an eye? Our local government needs to step in and perhaps, as bx718 suggested, input more social programs. More meaningful employment. That might make more of a difference. And as for the $600,000 homes: why the hell would anyone want to buy something that costs that much for a NH that is consistently in a "rebuilding" stage? It makes no sense.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 AM

As I stated Dee...sounds like it is in your best interest, and your family's best interest, to move to another area. There are significant numbers of people/families leaving the housing projects, and similar negative housing situations, and finding a better life in places like Florida, Pennsylvania, and Georgia (Atlanta area). I know of quite a few people who have moved, and can now enjoy decent schools, decent neighbors, decent communities, decent housing, and a MUCH improved quality of life and all around better environment. It is challenging of course to move, but it will likely be worth it. There is a HUGE world out there...and alot of people are making the move to greener pastures. This may be exactly what you and your family need.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 AM

LoL, not actually laughing at you, but my husband and I (before our son was born) moved to Florida, Orlando to be exact, and wow, did we ever run back up here! Totally different culture, way of life etc. We didn't have a car either, so that didn't help. Don't get me wrong: I love NY, it's a great place.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 AM

Yes I did some time in Orlando....and yes you definitely need a car. So you left Orlando and ran back up to the housing projects of Mott Haven? Am I missing something here? That seems to me, judging from your very grave concerns about Mott Haven, and the housing projects in Mott Haven in particular, to be very unwise. Maybe you did not prepare properly to be successful in Orlando (not having a car seems odd)? Furthermore, maybe you did not prepare properly to return to the city, thus you ended up in the housing projects of Mott Haven?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:50 AM

Since you seem bent on being negative let me explain. We were homeless for a time. And I do mean homeless; living in a shelter and that. We were then placed in NYCHA. And quite to the contrary of what many people do; we are looking for other housing...this is just a stepping stone for us to move forward, not backward. One of the reasons we went to Florida is because we were having a difficult time in NY; we researched Orlando, it seemed a good idea at the time. But then, I lost my job and the wages my husband was making was not enough, hence, we came back to NY, ran into a bad patch and ended up being homeless. So there's the story. Happy now?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM

One thing I have never been accused of on this board is being negative! I hope you find the peace, stability, and safety that you seek.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM

6,704 posts, read 10,839,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee5543 View Post
Since you seem bent on being negative let me explain. We were homeless for a time. And I do mean homeless; living in a shelter and that. We were then placed in NYCHA. And quite to the contrary of what many people do; we are looking for other housing...this is just a stepping stone for us to move forward, not backward. One of the reasons we went to Florida is because we were having a difficult time in NY; we researched Orlando, it seemed a good idea at the time. But then, I lost my job and the wages my husband was making was not enough, hence, we came back to NY, ran into a bad patch and ended up being homeless. So there's the story. Happy now?
dag,

sorry to hear that. God willing things will get better.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM

182 posts, read 284,004 times
I avoid getting off the red line between Columbia and Riverdale, and never take the green line north of the park. Maybe I should change my tune.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the well wishes all. We are doing much better, stable employment and all that. The future is bright; we are excited about moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City