Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 PM

300 posts, read 374,742 times

Advertisements

One of our neighbors (elderly man) was discovered dead in his apartment yesterday and had been dead for almost two weeks. There was a sign from the NYPD with a padlock on the door. I spoke with a neighbor who said that the super tried to get in but couldn't and that the authorities had to break down the door and when they did, they discovered him dead and covered by flies. The building is being ventilated to get rid of the pungent stench, but the question is what responsibility does the management have to ensure that no other residents are become ill from this situation? I imagine that an autopsy has to be done first to determine the cause of death, and once they NYPD clears the apartment, management can go in take it from there and clean the apartment, etc. What are they required to do to make the apartment and the other residents safe? are they required to do a gut job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Did the body explode ? That's usually what happens when it is hot . If so,it will be extremely difficult to get rid of the stench because the fluids tend to permeate walls,floors,ceilings,etc in addition to clothes and furniture.The stench can sometimes remain for many,many months.

Unfortunately,I don't think there is any law requiring a gut in such situations although it is often the only solution.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:24 PM

31,896 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Nothing can be done until the NYPD releases the apartment back to the building. This can take days or weeks because not only is it a potential crime scene (until death is ruled natural causes), but to help ensure the deceased property is not stolen.

The rest is explained here: What Happens When A New York Tenant Dies

Basically either until a named survivor or executor of the deceased estate is appointed nothing is legally supposed to be removed from the apartment. If anything is taken the landlord incurs liability.

An older gentleman in the building next to ours passed a few years ago. Basically the same (and frequent) story, died alone and was found a few days later..... The apartment remained sealed for >two months according to persons we know in the building whilst the deceased affair's were sorted. He did have a child *somewhere* but IIRC they were not close. Since by law he or she was the legal survivor efforts had to be made locate.

As for the balance of your query given the age of NYC and its housing stock persons dying at home either alone or otherwise (from natural causes or otherwise) happens all the time. Landlords go in, clean things up and rent or sell the unit. Lather rinse and repeat, life goes on.

If the property owner wants to say take a RC or RS apartment out of those programs usually the place will be gutted and renovated. This has less to do with the demise of previous tenant than wanting to obtain higher rent and getting out of RS.

You can check but *think* NYC passed some sort of whacky law several years ago where property owners must disclose if asked if a death occurred to prospective renters and or buyers. Think this came about from some the stuff and nonsense of certain persons being ill at ease in living in a place where a death occurred.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:47 PM

This whole process could take MONTHS before this guy's things are removed! I'm just concerned about the sanitary conditions. One of our neighbors stated that he had odors coming through his vent and took action to close it somehow. I would have to think that something could be done in the meantime to deal with the odor and keep the apartment as sanitary as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Did the body explode ? That's usually what happens when it is hot . If so,it will be extremely difficult to get rid of the stench because the fluids tend to permeate walls,floors,ceilings,etc in addition to clothes and furniture.The stench can sometimes remain for many,many months.

Unfortunately,I don't think there is any law requiring a gut in such situations although it is often the only solution.
I'm not really sure, but that sounds grotesque. How would the heat cause the body to explode?

Last edited by hhp3333; 09-04-2014 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Addition of new text

Old 09-04-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
This whole process could take MONTHS before this guy's things are removed! I'm just concerned about the sanitary conditions. One of our neighbors stated that he had odors coming through his vent and took action to close it somehow. I would have to think that something could be done in the meantime to deal with the odor and keep the apartment as sanitary as possible.

I'm not really sure, but that sounds grotesque. How would the heat cause the body to explode?
Organic matter produce gases as they decompose, it is a simple chemical reaction. If that process takes place inside an enclosed vessel it will explode unless the pressure is released. Heat accelerates the decomposition/rotting process which is why bodies break down faster in warm climates/conditions than cold. Hence to prevent bodies were once put on ice but now we have modern refrigeration (morgues).

Passing wind and or belching is the removal of gasses from the digestive system by ejecting them out of the body. After death as the gut becomes filled with gasses related to decomposition (rotting if you will) and it must go somewhere.

While lying in state Henry VIII's rotting body exploded. Covering the guards and everyone else in the chamber will all sort of foul matter.

In a warm conditions the human body will totally decompose in < two days. Warmer temperatures obviously accelerate this process.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Where is the apartment located? Do you know what the asking rent will be when back on market? Does it get good natural lighting?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Where is the apartment located? Do you know what the asking rent will be when back on market? Does it get good natural lighting?
*LOL*

Too funny. Reminds one of how years ago persons looking for apartments in NYC (in particular Manhattan) would scan obituary notices to learn when apartments were becoming vacant. This went on right through the 1980's IIRC. That or persons cultivated relationships with supers/building care takers to find out when there was a death in a building to get a leg up on an apartment.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*LOL*

Too funny. Reminds one of how years ago persons looking for apartments in NYC (in particular Manhattan) would scan obituary notices to learn when apartments were becoming vacant. This went on right through the 1980's IIRC. That or persons cultivated relationships with supers/building care takers to find out when there was a death in a building to get a leg up on an apartment.
It would creep me out to know that I live in a space that a dead guy occupied.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

There are actually industrial power chemicals meant for cleaning up after corpses (human, animals) and that will also act as a deodorant as well as the latter just for dealing with the stench. Exterminators for instance can purchase products meant to deal with the stench of rotting rats and mice when they die inside walls or such. Am told you wouldn't believe the stench from mice but rats or just one rat is horrible. This is why it is strongly suggested that poisons not be used for rodents indoors but trapping instead.

The stench from a rotting human corpse is bad. But once the thing is removed and the area properly cleaned, disinfected and aired it most always goes away. Real problems are if the body rested on a porous surface such as an unsealed wood floor. If the corpse water seeps into the flooring, sub-flooring, joists etc... then you may have to rip the things out to get rid of the smell.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
It would creep me out to know that I live in a space that a dead guy occupied.
We're all creeped out and we're just the neighbors. We have taken numerous steps to rid the complex of the smell. Doors are being left open (Thank God we live in a safe neighborhood) and all areas have been thoroughly mopped twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The answer to all of your questions is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: