Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,600 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will move to NYC soon and I will work at Columbia University. I am looking for housing (1bedroom, shared flats, studios) preferably in UWS and Morningside Heights.

I am considering also the Upper East side (the area is very nice, like it a lot), and my question in this case is very simple: how easy is commuting to Columbia from the UES? I see from google maps that bus M4 brings you to directly to the university. Are these buses crowded/well maintained/frequent?

Any advice is well accepted. Thanks a lot.
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM

298 posts, read 706,731 times
Your quality of life will be MUCH better without four rides on a bus full of degenerates every day.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiara11 View Post
Hi All,

I will move to NYC soon and I will work at Columbia University. I am looking for housing (1bedroom, shared flats, studios) preferably in UWS and Morningside Heights.

I am considering also the Upper East side (the area is very nice, like it a lot), and my question in this case is very simple: how easy is commuting to Columbia from the UES? I see from google maps that bus M4 brings you to directly to the university. Are these buses crowded/well maintained/frequent?

Cheers
Buses run up Madison Avenue on the UES (northbound) and down Fifth Avenue (southbound).

mta.info | Manhattan Bus Schedules

During day and evening the waits can be "ok" but IMHO often lacking. That is you wait for awhile and nothing. Then two, three or more buses come in a pack, then nothing..... *LOL*

Long as you are travelling during daylight hours or even early evening you should be fine. Fifth and Madison Avenues can become rather desolate late or overnight. Therefore advise keeping aware of surroundings if walking from say Fifth Avenue east towards your apartment.

Another work around is to take one of the cross town buses through Central Park and then take the "Sixth Avenue subway (A, B, C, trains) that run along Central Park West back and forth to Columbia/Morningside Heights. Benefit of this method is that the crosstown buses run from East End Avenue to West End Avenue so you won't have to walk say from Fifth Avenue to First Avenue. When you use a Metrocard transfers from bus to subway (or vice versa) are free which means you don't have to pay another fare.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Buses run up Madison Avenue on the UES (northbound) and down Fifth Avenue (southbound).

mta.info | Manhattan Bus Schedules

During day and evening the waits can be "ok" but IMHO often lacking. That is you wait for awhile and nothing. Then two, three or more buses come in a pack, then nothing..... *LOL*

Long as you are travelling during daylight hours or even early evening you should be fine. Fifth and Madison Avenues can become rather desolate late or overnight. Therefore advise keeping aware of surroundings if walking from say Fifth Avenue east towards your apartment.

Another work around is to take one of the cross town buses through Central Park and then take the "Sixth Avenue subway (A, B, C, trains) that run along Central Park West back and forth to Columbia/Morningside Heights. Benefit of this method is that the crosstown buses run from East End Avenue to West End Avenue so you won't have to walk say from Fifth Avenue to First Avenue. When you use a Metrocard transfers from bus to subway (or vice versa) are free which means you don't have to pay another fare.
Wrong subway - they would definitely want to take any cross town buses over to Broadway and take the 1 train, which leaves one right outside Columbia's gate. Or the M104 bus. The ABC trains would involve a 15 minute walk across 110th or a bit shorter walk through Morningside Park, which one probably would not want to do if at dusk... Depending on where on the east side they are coming from, the 4 bus would be the best option.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Wrong subway - they would definitely want to take any cross town buses over to Broadway and take the 1 train, which leaves one right outside Columbia's gate. Or the M104 bus. The ABC trains would involve a 15 minute walk across 110th or a bit shorter walk through Morningside Park, which one probably would not want to do if at dusk... Depending on where on the east side they are coming from, the 4 bus would be the best option.
Thank you for correcting my error on the subways. My problem with the M4 again is that service can often be rather spotty. That and again if one lives say Third to Fifth Avenue then the walk to Madison or Fifth isn't that bad in any sort of weather. But from Second to East End is another matter especially late a night or early in the morning.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,600 times
Thanks a lot for all advice!!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:30 PM

275 posts, read 415,831 times
If you commute from the UES, consider getting a bike. That's probably the fastest way.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:51 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Don't move to upper east side..they still working on second ave subway

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiara11 View Post
Hi All,

Cheers
Buses in Manhattan LOL here is a better idea take the F/M to 14th for 2/3 to 96th for the 1. Or B/D to 59th to 1 train AVOID any Manhattan bus they are never reliable.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Buses in Manhattan LOL here is a better idea take the F/M to 14th for 2/3 to 96th for the 1. Or B/D to 59th to 1 train AVOID any Manhattan bus they are never reliable.
So you're saying to go all the way down to the 63rd/Lex station for the (F) (which could be very far from where the OP is on the UES), take the train all the way downtown to 14th Street, just to catch a train going uptown, and transfer again, just to avoid taking the bus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: