Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 AM

5 posts, read 14,579 times

Advertisements

Hey all--

I'm making the move up to NYC next month, and need some help figuring out what area is best for me.

I'm on a tight budget, looking for a small studio/room in the 800 a month range. One thing I have going for me is that I'm a writer, so commute isn't an issue.

So far, people have recommended Bay Ridge, Astoria, or LIC.

While commute and apartment size aren't much of an issue, I really want to live somewhere that I enjoy. I'm a little hipster-y (though I hate using the word), meaning I love my indie rock and the bars/clubs that come with it, the record stores, ethnic restaurants, comic shops, and quirky stuff that comes with it. I just want to live somewhere that reflects my tastes.

Bay Ridge sounds kinda cool in a non-pretentious way, but is that kind of stuff up there? LIC sounds nice (and close to Manhattan), but everyone keeps telling me Brooklyn is a better fit for me. I've never even been to the city, so I have no idea...

All your help is really appreciated, seriously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 06:58 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I live in Central/North Riverdale in the Bronx and pay $825 for a studio. It's not a hipster area per se though

Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 26,325 times
Van Cortlandt Village in the Bronx. It's ideal for your budget and some of your requirements. PM me for more info.

Last edited by StillAmFreak; 12-26-2007 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, all-- please keep them coming!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,116 times
Check out the Park Slope + Windsor Terrace section of Brooklyn. You will find many hipster types there.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks... I think Park Slope is out of my price range, but I'll check out Windsor Terrace.

Any others?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
What exactly is a room/studio? If you are looking to spend $800 for a share - meaning you have your own room but are living with roommates in a 2 or 3 bedroom apt., that is very very different in terms of budget than $800 for an entire apartment, no matter how small the apartment is.

I think it's nearly impossible to find a decent $800 apartment anywhere near a subway stop in Queens or Brooklyn, though there was a poster on here recently who did find one in Astoria for $750 that she's happy with, so I guess it's not entirely impossible.

I think you would get more responses if you clarified. $800 for an apartment is just so low that I can't even recommend any neighborhoods (and I don't know the Bronx or Staten Island so can't comment on those.)

Old 12-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What exactly is a room/studio? If you are looking to spend $800 for a share - meaning you have your own room but are living with roommates in a 2 or 3 bedroom apt., that is very very different in terms of budget than $800 for an entire apartment, no matter how small the apartment is.

I think it's nearly impossible to find a decent $800 apartment anywhere near a subway stop in Queens or Brooklyn, though there was a poster on here recently who did find one in Astoria for $750 that she's happy with, so I guess it's not entirely impossible.

I think you would get more responses if you clarified. $800 for an apartment is just so low that I can't even recommend any neighborhoods (and I don't know the Bronx or Staten Island so can't comment on those.)
I'm looking for either a small studio (shared bathroom or kitchen is ok), or a room in an apartment with roommates. I've found studios in Bay Ridge for less than 800 on Craig's List, actually-- but since I'm not in NYC til next week, it really doesn't matter, as I definitely want to see any place before I move in. I'm mainly just looking for neighborhoods to check out. For instance, I found a good deal in Bed Stuy, but several people warned me that while it's not terrible, it's definitely not the safest.

And like I said, I don't really need much. I currently share an apartment with two other people, and they complain they never even see me-- I live in my own room and always eat out/am always gone, so it's not like I need much. I'm also pretty quiet-- for all tv and music I use headphones, for instance.

I'm not even that worried about train commute time, since I don't need to go into the city all the time, or at rush hour. That said, I would like to say I live in New York, you know? And I admit I'm a wee bit partial to Brooklyn just because everyone I know lives there or in Manhattan.

Point is, the only thing that really matters to me is being near a good selection of things to do that interest me, and a relative amount of safety. The rest I'm not at all picky about.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
your options will open up quite a bit if you live with roommates.

I did just look at the $800 studios in Bay ridge on craigslist and I guess they do exist. However, if you are working from home you have to make sure you don't end up in a place that's depressing with no light etc. where you will be too sad to get any work done. (maybe that's just me projecting but still. .. )

You should also look at Prospect Lefferts Gardens and Prospect Park South. The studios might fall into this price range and if you want to know more about the neigbhorhood, there are some blogs out there like Planet PLG or something like that. They are sketchier areas than some, but nicer (in my opinion) than alot of Bed Stuy and Crown Heights. Comparitively, you will find Bay Ridge to be more upscale and quieter. (and no, it is not full of the indie stuff you crave, but it does have some nice restaurants and great views of the water and places to walk.)

For roommate situations in bklyn that you can afford, you might be able to find something nice in Prospect Heights, parts of Williamsburg, parts of Park Slope, and Greenpoint and Ft. Greene. All of those areas have the things you crave - indie hipster stuff, though Park Slope is more yuppified the closer you get to 7th ave. You will also be able to find shares in many other areas that aren't as nice (in my opinion) such as Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Gowanus, Bushwick.

those are my opinions. others may disagree.

I also think you are better off starting in a share since you won't have to worry at the beginning about all the furnishings, the 40x rent requirements to get the place, all the upfront costs, etc etc. Of course the roommate thing can be a disaster if you are in the wrong place, but you could always sign on for something more of a temporary nature while you look for something else. I think that's what I would do.

and I know you really like brooklyn (I do too) but do consider Astoria and check out astorians.com if you have a chance.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:45 AM

Thanks so much! Great advice.

One question: is there a big difference between Williamsburg and East Williamsburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: