Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I know this forum from a long time and i love to check it out very often just so that i can read all those interesting posts but now is time for me to write one post ,my first actually.

I am from a small country located in Europe - Romania. I studied here at my local university and i graduated with an excellent diplom and that is great for Romania but only for Romania not on international level. So i wanted to move to a big old city and start my life there, so i decided to pursue my master's degree elsewhere in a top world university. I won a scholarship for the University of Tokyo and i moved there. I studied finance like i did in Romania and it has been great here in Tokyo, amazing actually i met so many new people , i learned japanese even better ,i got a master's degree from Asia''s top university But..... I can't see myself living here and working here ... i still have my dream to live in a big old city and build my life there i worked really really hard to get to where i am and now i am not sure if it was hard enough. I now what the rankings are now for the University of Tokyo and i know it is a top uni i also do know that it is not Yale Oxford or Harvard .... So i have a plan to move to New York, and thats why i am writing in this forum , because i do not know anyone there ,for real and i was hoping to get an advice from you guys who live there and know the city. Is it a good idea to move there and start looking for a job ? I dont have a job there and i want to find, i want it so badly , but like i said my university in Romania is just a small university in ROMANIA not London or Paris, Romania, and my masters degree is from Todai , not Yale. I have some money saved, and i can live in NY for a few months with them but then its over, and if i dont find a job in that time i wont have another way but to go back in Romania, and i dont want to,i am alone and unhappy there, i would stay in Tokyo but if i spend my saved money i won't. So am i making a mistake , do you think i can find a job there with what i got ? Should i take the risk and move to NY ? Or i am just blinded by this idea of me in New York that i can't see the real thing? I don't know guys, any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:05 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,703,776 times
Get a job in Japan with a bank or other employer that has offices in the US and work toward a transfer. You will have the advantages of knowing English and Japanese and some experience in finance as well. That will make it easier for you to ask for a transfer. You may end up on the West Coast, in LA or San Francisco or Seattle, instead of NYC because of the heavier Japanese populations there and closeness to Asian trade and banking. But it would be a start in terms of getting to NYC. And those are three lively and interesting cities. It's not like you'd suffer to live in any of them.

Its never a good idea to move to NYC w/o a job, even with a top education -- and Tokyo U is well-known and respected among finance people in NYC -- because whatever savings you have can be eaten up very, very quickly and landlords here don't rent to people w/o jobs. Moreover, your job hunt would be more complex because you're not a US citizen and would need a work visa to be here legally.

So take your time getting here until you can do it right. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 PM

520 posts, read 597,231 times
Your best bet would be to attend university in NYC. You won't be able to work without a visa, and that will be difficult to get.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,415 times
Thanks guys, i've been reading a lot on this subject online the past few days and i think i've got a few options. Anyway i'll turn to some people i know in tokyo who can also give me some advice. Citylove101 i sure will take my time, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: