U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,596,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
How on earth did you get an apartment for $750? Maybe a SHARE for $750, but not an apartment on your own. Unless of course you have had it for awhile, and your rent has increased that much.

new york craigslist > queens > housing: search for "astoria"
I just moved in December 1st. I found the ad on craigslist through a broker. I had to pay one month's fee, but it was worth it. It's like a semi-basement, but not really. I'm on ground level. I have gas, heat, and possibly electric included (can't remember what the landlord said is included, and I haven't received any electric bill as of yet). It's a 3 family house. When I mentioned to the landlord how cheap it was compared to most apartments in this area, he said he isn't looking to make a profit and just wants to give someone a place to live. He's a nice guy. He told me the owner next door is renting the same exact apartment I have for $900.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 PM

975 posts, read 3,583,016 times
don't forget the overpriced bodegas and generic steam table buffets

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Granted. But when I think Midtown, I think "all the office locations I have ever worked". (I freelanced for about 5 years and in that time, I worked almost exclusively in the midtown area.) So in those areas, and the Rockefeller area too, I never found many ameneties that would accomodate residency. Mosty very expensive takeout places, lots of "Boltons" and handbag stores. A few shoe shine places and cleaners.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:39 PM

975 posts, read 3,583,016 times
I think LosAngeles should look into the West Village. It's close to downtown and has all the things he/she is looking for.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
UES

19 posts, read 60,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
I've heard about Roosevelt Island, do you guys think a good option too? Just a remind, I don't have car
Roosevelt Island is a terrible idea. If you are going to be actually working on Wallstreet (i.e. downtown), the best advice you have received so far is Hoboken, NJ. Cheaper than Manhattan (where $2000 a month doesn't go very far), closer to work than any of the outer boroughs and much of Manhattan and you will pay less income tax.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,408,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I just moved in December 1st. I found the ad on craigslist through a broker. I had to pay one month's fee, but it was worth it. It's like a semi-basement, but not really. I'm on ground level. I have gas, heat, and possibly electric included (can't remember what the landlord said is included, and I haven't received any electric bill as of yet). It's a 3 family house. When I mentioned to the landlord how cheap it was compared to most apartments in this area, he said he isn't looking to make a profit and just wants to give someone a place to live. He's a nice guy. He told me the owner next door is renting the same exact apartment I have for $900.
You have an unusual situation. I don't think most people can expect to rent (alone) for less than $900.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM

473 posts, read 1,603,224 times
manhattan is actually just 1/5th of nyc. there is more to nyc than manhattan. I hope the out of towners can realise that. no wonder the real estate over there is just out of this world because people HAVE TO LIVE IN MANHATTAN.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 104,057 times
Guys, no matter what apartment I rent and its location, should I have consider other taxes on rental (in NYC) besides broker fee and usual bills (electricity etc)?

Another thing, I was afraid when I used the tax calculator (https://www.paycycle.com/external/bu...alculators.jsp) to check my net pay. My income will be 105k year (bi-week) and my calculated net pay was $2,678.30 (I used an imaginary value for both health and dental plan, 100,00 and 50,00). Is my net pay correct? Maybe that is a stupid question, but sorry I am not from the US.

Many thanks,
LosAngeles

Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,408,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Guys, no matter what apartment I rent and its location, should I have consider other taxes on rental (in NYC) besides broker fee and usual bills (electricity etc)?

Another thing, I was afraid when I used the tax calculator (https://www.paycycle.com/external/bu...alculators.jsp) to check my net pay. My income will be 105k year (bi-week) and my calculated net pay was $2,678.30 (I used an imaginary value for both health and dental plan, 100,00 and 50,00). Is my net pay correct? Maybe that is a stupid question, but sorry I am not from the US.

Many thanks,
LosAngeles

Do your already have a job? I would think that your insurances would be more. Don't forget about deductions from your check for TransitChek, 401K.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM

12 posts, read 104,057 times
Yes, I do. Couple days ago my employer said to me that my net pay would be about 5,500.00. Maybe I didn't fill out the form calculator correctly, but if I did correctly this net pay won't be enough to live in the US at all and I will give up the job offer.

Thanks,
LosAngeles

Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM
UES

19 posts, read 60,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
manhattan is actually just 1/5th of nyc. there is more to nyc than manhattan. I hope the out of towners can realise that. no wonder the real estate over there is just out of this world because people HAVE TO LIVE IN MANHATTAN.
Personally I wouldn't pay all those city taxes to live anywhere in the city other than Manhattan. I would chose Hoboken, NJ over Brooklyn and Stamford, CT or Whiteplains over the Northern Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City