Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,934 times

Advertisements

Yes I agree the area needs alot of work...not sure what the answer it. It has a number of deep rooted societal dysfunction and not sure if there is any single answer. I can tell you the best way to handle a problem is to deal with it head on and not ignore it or walk away from it. It takes alot of courage, and commitment to the community and the city to make this kind of potentially life-long investment. We need more of these kinds of people to make back to these areas to show that people do care, to be the pillars of hope in these communities, and to show the positive side of life. If people of color who are FROM these communities won't do it...then who will?

I applaud their purchase...and had I had the time, patience, and resources, I may have done the same thing. It is not easy....it is extraordinarily hard..the costs, the permits/bureaucracy, flaky contractors/scam artists, and the never ending problems/renovations will be painful to say the least. But at the end of the day they are polishing up a part of history in this city...and maybe when this gem shines again...it may serve as some sort of motivation and inspiration for SOME members of the community....you never know until you try....and that's what its all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
that may be true, but they didnt buy the house because they had a stake in the community and wanted to settle there, they bought it cause they couldnt afford what they wanted. they considered it a steal to buy a house like that for 675K with an additional 200K for renovations. so while the renewed interest in the community is good i guess, its not always for the intentions that we think. i plan to buy a house in my neighborhood, but regardless of the fact that i may be priced out of anywhere else the time i'm ready to buy, the main reason for me is home is home. so if i grew up in east tremont i may have very well bought the mansion and you may have seen me in the times. but these people aint in it for the community.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 AM

I dont expect their sole purpose to be so noble as to single handedly save the community by buying and renovating this property. They bought what they considered a steal and are making the committment to see it through. However, if a by-product of the renewed interest in the community, and the inevitable interaction with the community, is to provide new hope and motivation for a community that is short on hope, resources, and visionaries...all the better. And I suspect that will be the case.

I think at the end of the day they WILL be in it for the community..as they have expressed this is a life-long commitment. So although their primary motivation may be a "cheap property"....the final result will likely be VERY different..and the impact on the community MAY be susbtantial....you never know..

Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,216 times
People buy homes in certain areas for various reasons. Some choose to stay in their neighborhood. Some are priced out of their neighborhood. Some want a home that's an affordable price. Some want to be in a good school area for their children.

The rehab of that mansion in East Tremont will, in the long run, be a blessing to that community. While it is true that there are a whole host of social issues in East Tremont, the couple buying that mansion and rehabbing it is a step in the right direction.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Yes Scatman..they are certianly not solving any of the social ills of the community....but it is a step in the right direction. What if ALOT more people did the same thing..new people moving into the formerly "off-limit" communities and seeking cheap housing (in comparison to most other NYC neighborhoods) investing, renovating properties, and becomingn part of the community..think about the substantial impact this will likely have on the community and the residents.

Oh wait...that's already happening all over this city. =)

Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
What if ALOT more people did the same thing..new people moving into the formerly "off-limit" communities and seeking cheap housing (in comparison to most other NYC neighborhoods) investing, renovating properties, and becomingn part of the community..think about the substantial impact this will likely have on the community and the residents.
The substantial impact on the community and residents would be its disapearance or rather its relocation elsewhere. Original residents do not gaze upon the purchase and renovation of a mansion and then suddenly morph into middle class aspirants. If anything, they see it as the beginning of the end of their neighborhood, whether good or bad, as they know it.

Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking gentrification. But its not exactly welcomed by the people already living there.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM

As my post ahs already stated, the purchase of this new home does not solve any of the ills that plague this city, nor was it the new owner's stated intention for buying hte property, nor does anyone believe this will happen.

Also, I do not believe that the residents believe the purchase of this ONE property, that is an anomoly pretty much for the borough, and definitely for the neighborhood, is the end of their neighborhood..let's be serious. If anything they are probaly tired of seeing the permanent eyesore..and welcome the interest in bringing this unique property back to life.

Although this may technically be classified as gentrification, by moving into this property they are not displacing anyone directly or indirectly. So this is not really gentrification....it is more of a rehabbing of a unique structure.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
Although this may technically be classified as gentrification, by moving into this property they are not displacing anyone directly or indirectly. So this is not really gentrification....it is more of a rehabbing of a unique structure
Ah but it could be. Gentrification always starts with a few brave souls who are willing to assume alot of risk for alot of alot of return. Just as Jamestown and Plymouth eventually begat Rancho Cuchamonga and its like, this mansion purchase might be the cornerstone of a reborn East Tremont replete with sushi bars, bistros and McSorleys North.

Of course, in the Bronx, it will be a tall order.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 AM

lol....well when the place is replete with sushi bars and bistros....I will eat my words and take you for some delicious tuna and salmon sushi!

By the way...whats wrong with having a little variety in the restuarant choices...just because there is a sushi bar, thai, or the other markers of gentrification does not mean the area is necessarily gentrified. I would really enjoy some thai and sushi in Mott Haven!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
a thai restaurant is usually the 1st thing that comes.....they have 3 thai restaurants within 3 blocks of each other on myrtle ave in fort greene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City