Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:56 PM

900 posts, read 2,365,858 times

Advertisements

That poor baby has a disability where he can't make sounds and couldn't cry out to his mother when being repeatedly bit.

There was someone from my childhood that was bit in her crib as a baby. The rat bit her in the middle portion of nose, between the nostrils, looked like someone used some pinking shears on her.

My building is above the subway and this building is bad with mice. Thank God not as bad as the building this person's in the article, in that building the rats are chewing through the walls!

I sealed up gaps with plaster and steel wool so if those things start chewing they're going to chew into some steel wool too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 01:12 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,597,742 times
Last year there was a story about some female in Manhattan who slept with her window open. Apparently a rat came in (via fire escape?) and crawled into bed. The woman woke up from the animal's movements and let out a scream that could have woke the dead! *LOL* This as she ran out the door and down the halls of her building!

Me? Again that would have it far as one would be concerned. Am out!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:17 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,882,013 times
And things like this are why cats in NYC make the bet pets.

I still remember when I use to live in Brooklyn and woke up to find my cat caught a random mouse with its eyes missing.

Good kitty

Old 09-15-2014, 08:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,856,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Rats can chew through anything. The source of the infestation is from the abandoned subway station which is below the building. There is little the tenants can do about it other than to pressure their negligent owner to gut the entire premises. Maybe sue Wavecrest Management if nothing is being done about it. Caulk and rat poison will do little to sway the rats. Rats are a big problem in the city and it seems like there is very little being about it.
They cannot chew through concrete or steel. Rats are not magic.

Apartments can be reasonable sealed against rodents. They typically come in in openings around drains or other areas. These areas can be SEALED!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,856,704 times
Just because something is on the internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all sources are credible.

What makes me dismiss those claims as false is they don't state HOW LONG it takes a rat to chew through these things. There's no way a rat is chewing through 4 in concrete in a day. I suppose if the rat had nothing better to do that chew at the same spot day after day it might eventually chew through. But I'd like to see proof that attempting to chew through concrete repeatedly actually even happens. But that is false advertising, leading people to believe that monster rats are going to instantly chew through all substances. And that is false.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 PM

250 posts, read 268,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They cannot chew through concrete or steel. Rats are not magic.

Apartments can be reasonable sealed against rodents. They typically come in in openings around drains or other areas. These areas can be SEALED!

Rats can chew through most building materials such as plastic, wood, sheetrock, and cables. They can definitely chew through caulk or any adhesive if the rat is determined. Based on what the article says, it looks like the severity of the infestation is high.

Anyway, I don't want to debate endlessly about rats and what they can and can't do because that isn't the point here. I am not a wildlife expert here. What I do know is rats are ferocious creatures that can gnaw their way through most materials inside a building. The building in question is above an abandoned subway station that was plagued with rats for years. Closure of the station didn't contain the rat problem and the negligence of the building management company made it worse. Besides, Ms Abreu is currently looking to relocate to another building under Wavecrest Management. The building management company has so many poor reviews that I don't think we have heard the last of this.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,046,728 times
My question is WHY did the rat bite the child? I Googled "why do rats bite children" and read that most of the time rats bite when they are frightened. Maybe the rat crawled in the bed to get food (?) and then the child flailed his arm during sleep and the rat was scared?

Rat Mythology | Rat Myths & Information | Answer to Do Rats Attack People?
MYTH: Rats are Aggressive and Attack Children and Pets
FACT: Some rats, if provoked and cornered, will fight their way out of the confrontation, as will many wild animals. But most rats do not outwardly attack humans. Young babies, bed-confined elders, and the homeless sleeping in doorways and alleys, however, are occasionally bitten by unprovoked rats. Most likely these individuals fall asleep with food residues on their hands or faces, and foraging rats attempt to lick or chew the food residues off the sleeping individual.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,046,728 times
This article covers which building materials rats can gnaw through. This is gross! I never knew this about rats, and am thankful I don't live above a rat-infested abandoned subway entrance. Floors That Rats Can't Chew Through | Animals - PawNation

Making your home rat-proof is next to impossible, but you can take steps to keep the pests at bay. They can chew through most building materials, including wood, plastic, weak concrete such as cinder blocks, aluminum sheeting, and even some glass. Changing your flooring to a rat-resistant material can discourage the rodents from making your home their home.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 AM

33,695 posts, read 46,937,859 times
Why are their teeth and jaws so damn strong???

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,472,955 times
The city should be responsible for cleaning up the subway station. You can try to seal up the apartment as much as you want, but as long as the rats are in that station they are going to make their way into the building. And that is simply disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City