Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:08 PM

31,635 posts, read 26,478,552 times

Advertisements

Here is another news post that fleshes the story out a bit better: Brooklyn Mother Says Rat Bit Young Son While He Slept | NBC New York

Basically the building's management has been proactive in hiring an exterminator and so forth but the structure seems to be infested as is the surrounding area.

At this point the entire building needs an "industrial strength" rodent plan that includes finding and sealing points of entry, trapping, and so forth. If the infestation is bad as tenants say inside the walls/building then probably nothing short of a full scale fumigation will rid the place of rats.

What happens in all rat situations is what we often seen in nature. Once a local population reaches a critical mass younger/weaker rats are forced out by older to find new territory. This happens especially when there is only a limited food/resource supply in relation to population within a territory.

Obviously rats have found ways into the building (probably from gaps around pipes/in the foundations/basement walls, etc...) of this building and have "moved on up" floor after floor. Usually when this happens (again) it means the populations in the cellars have reached a point where the above is happening (younger/weaker forced out).

Either way this is a nasty business However this quote from the above linked story is telling :

"Abreu wants to maintain her rent-stabilized rate with the current building management company, and is on a mission to be relocated to another building. "

So this woman/mother is willing to not only live with rats but put her child at risk even after all he has been through for the sake of keeping a RS lease?

Me? I'd have moved to temporary diggings and got an attorney to begin legal proceedings for LL violating "warranty of habitability" clause of my lease. There simply would be no way I'd remain in that apartment with my child. But hey, that is just men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:38 PM

250 posts, read 268,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The city should be responsible for cleaning up the subway station. You can try to seal up the apartment as much as you want, but as long as the rats are in that station they are going to make their way into the building. And that is simply disgusting.

The MTA basically said, "Here, it's all yours. Enjoy the rat reunion."

Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 PM

250 posts, read 268,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Here is another news post that fleshes the story out a bit better: Brooklyn Mother Says Rat Bit Young Son While He Slept | NBC New York

Basically the building's management has been proactive in hiring an exterminator and so forth but the structure seems to be infested as is the surrounding area.

At this point the entire building needs an "industrial strength" rodent plan that includes finding and sealing points of entry, trapping, and so forth. If the infestation is bad as tenants say inside the walls/building then probably nothing short of a full scale fumigation will rid the place of rats.

What happens in all rat situations is what we often seen in nature. Once a local population reaches a critical mass younger/weaker rats are forced out by older to find new territory. This happens especially when there is only a limited food/resource supply in relation to population within a territory.

Obviously rats have found ways into the building (probably from gaps around pipes/in the foundations/basement walls, etc...) of this building and have "moved on up" floor after floor. Usually when this happens (again) it means the populations in the cellars have reached a point where the above is happening (younger/weaker forced out).

Either way this is a nasty business However this quote from the above linked story is telling :

"Abreu wants to maintain her rent-stabilized rate with the current building management company, and is on a mission to be relocated to another building. "

So this woman/mother is willing to not only live with rats but put her child at risk even after all he has been through for the sake of keeping a RS lease?

Me? I'd have moved to temporary diggings and got an attorney to begin legal proceedings for LL violating "warranty of habitability" clause of my lease. There simply would be no way I'd remain in that apartment with my child. But hey, that is just men.

But that costs money, time and commitment which the building management doesn't have the patience for. As for the mother maintaining her rent-stabilized lease, you can't blame her. It's either that or find place to stay and pay a higher rate without the city's help.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 PM

33,396 posts, read 46,826,601 times
I still want to know where the building is located....I know it has to be somewhere near the A/C or G trains....because those are the only underground subway lines in Bed-Stuy.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I still want to know where the building is located....I know it has to be somewhere near the A/C or G trains....because those are the only underground subway lines in Bed-Stuy.
Could be any of these: OLD AND ON A TRAIN | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Scroll down to "Myrtle-Willoughby station on the G"

Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,821,316 times
Is there a phobia for rats or rodents?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:15 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,611,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
Yes, it's a condition called Ionlywanttoliveinthesuburbitis

Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,611,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just because something is on the internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all sources are credible.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post

Suriphobia, or musophobia.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:37 PM

431 posts, read 654,899 times
That apartment building needs to be burned down. WTF!!! Horrible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City