Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM

300 posts, read 374,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Well, the theme of this protest is global warming and the companies that profit off of it. Don't think Apple plays a significant part in that. However, in general you make a strong point
Actually they do. Think about how many cell phones aren't recycled and are just thrown in landfills. The radiation from cell phones is not exactly environmentally friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
With the prevalence of hackers nowadays and how easily data can be recovered from used electronic devices, I'll never hand over my phone to be recycled. I was almost tempted to trade my current iPhone in for a free 6 from Verizon, but decided that I cannot hand my phone over to anyone. When I'm done with it, into the trash it goes smashed to a million pieces.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 PM

300 posts, read 374,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
With the prevalence of hackers nowadays and how easily data can be recovered from used electronic devices, I'll never hand over my phone to be recycled. I was almost tempted to trade my current iPhone in for a free 6 from Verizon, but decided that I cannot hand my phone over to anyone. When I'm done with it, into the trash it goes smashed to a million pieces.
I can't do that. I try to recycle as much as possible including all of my plastic containers from take out. I save them, wash them out let them dry and then put them in the recycling bag. New York City esp. creates so much garbage from take out and other things that it isn't even funny. They should really enforce recycling more. There was a show on cable I watched a few years ago that opened my eyes to how much waste we create and what problems we will have in the near future if we don't start recycling more. I always recycled but now I make a conscious effort to recycle everything possible instead of just the usual items.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
I too recycle everything. I even have my own compost bin which creates fertilizer for my garden. As idealistic as I am regarding recycling, I don't let it cloud my thinking when it comes to the stark reality of the damage the wrong person can create if they get their hands on your used smartphone. Unfortunately the environment is going to have to take this one on the chin as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:07 AM

314 posts, read 546,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
Actually they do. Think about how many cell phones aren't recycled and are just thrown in landfills. The radiation from cell phones is not exactly environmentally friendly.
Fair enough. But what for profit company doesn't create waste? The amount of waste from cell phones can't be anywhere near the amount that comes from packaged food. Most people keep their smartphones several years, when you buy a can of coke you toss it out 5 minutes later.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
But if it is for tomorrow, then why is there so much traffic today Sunday midtown and south? Will it be jammed up tomorrow as well?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Maybe they have trust funds.
I am willing to bet half of these OWS foot soldiers are there for the social aspects of it. I wonder how many hit up the bars and night clubs on Thurs to Sun in between the 9-5 protesting.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
You mean those evil oil companies that provide gasoline to tens of millions of American every day? Those corporations?

These nut jobs would be happy if the CEO of ExxonMobil were arrested, with the charge of planet destruction.

Love the obtuse way you say they "provide" gasoline, as if it's something they're doing out of the kindness of their hearts, from a sense of public duty.

Yeah, I'd certainly be happy if some top executives at all kinds of companies were charged with some of their wrong-doings.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
These climate change people don't really believe in the cause of stopping climate change. Most jump on the bandwagon because they use it to fill an empty void and to be part of some politically correct socially forward group. If these people cared about stopping climate change they would focus on china because china produces more greenhouse gases in 1 year than the US (including its corporations) produce in 10 years.

Their effort to stop climate change only causes more of it because of the literature they print and distribute and all the power they use and transportation they take.

Targeting corporations for climate change is about 50 years too late. Most of those factories moved to China years ago and what's left using the most efficient technology to minimize fuel and power needs to save costs. People need electricity and people need gas for their cars, planes and buses. People campaigning against it isn't going to change those facts.

The best way to support a clean environment and fight against climate change is to install energy efficient appliances and lighting, install a solar power system, maybe a solar water heater. Over the next 20 years a lot of the cola plants will be replaced by solar and wind power but it takes time in as big of a country as the US. Ethanol fuels are not the way to go since they use a crop which is necessary for food production and that's why corn prices have tripled in a short period of time.
I agree with your first paragraph. But this is a global economy now. All the multi-nationals are interlocked with each other. All of finance is basically a cartel. They are all a part of it. If there is something to a part of that is.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:34 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
The overall theme of the OWS movement is that the super rich (the 1%) has taken advantage of the downtrodden poor and middle classes. I'd you're wealthy enough to have a trust fund, you may not be in the top 1% (388K+) but you're very, very likely to at least be in the top 10% (140K+). You really think that children from these backgrounds are likely to be protesting? They'd essentially be protesting against themselves.
Sorry, not buying it.

You do sometimes get people from privileged backgrounds, or people who have worked themselves up the ladder, who understand that the economic disparity is bad in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City