Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:52 PM

31,745 posts, read 26,697,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
/\ Rats? What time was this?

It's indeed filthy on Lexington around 86th St but I've never seen rats on the street... maybe they're hidden by crowds of people? In fact I rarely see them even at night when out and about in the city; not even in Chinatown when I sometimes would pass through at night, they're probably there lurking under the trash bags.

BTW, isn't this area near where the crazy screaming/ spitting lady is based? We have a 20 page thread going about sightings of her around the city.
You haven't seen rats at night in NYC? Manhattan? Again what city are you living in because I must be in some Twilight Zone version because see them everywhere. In fact am seeing them more and more which is rather disgusting.

Tend to walk a lot and at least on the UES, UWS, Yorkville, etc... see rats and mice all the time at night.

In tree beds, running around plastic rubbish bags, garbage left out for collection, coming out of sewer grates/catch basins, etc.... one cannot get away from them.

The other night walked along East 81st from Madison to East End to visit a friend. This was around 11PM or so and soon as one passed "Madonna's house" could hear and see them all around 81st street. On the corner of Third saw rats running in and out of the catch basins near Lens Crafters. Crossing the avenue and moving on they were running about both sides of 81st between Third and Second, in fact again could hear them squealing/squeaking as well. Don't get me started about between Second and First and really from First down to East End. If it wasn't mice running about it as rats. Saw plenty of notices posted that the area had been treated for rodents so there you are. The highlight of that nights journey was as one approached 81st and East End in front of the Gristedes supermarket were a stack of rubbish bags. In the clear ones one could see what one at first assumed were large roaches moving about, but no, it was mice. *LOL*

And so it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
/\

BTW, isn't this area near where the crazy screaming/ spitting lady is based? We have a 20 page thread going about sightings of her around the city.
Pick one, the UES has a whole host of character street persons. *LOL*

There is a black woman that screams/spits.

A drug addicted couple (he is white she is Brazilian or Latina something) who when not stoned out of their minds are fighting or causing other trouble.

Several Hungarian/Eastern European middle aged and elderly men that roam about rummaging through rubbish cans etc...

For those that seem to think the UES is so bland and clean they need to walk around here more often. *LOL*

Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 PM

300 posts, read 373,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Pick one, the UES has a whole host of character street persons. *LOL*

There is a black woman that screams/spits.

A drug addicted couple (he is white she is Brazilian or Latina something) who when not stoned out of their minds are fighting or causing other trouble.

Several Hungarian/Eastern European middle aged and elderly men that roam about rummaging through rubbish cans etc...

For those that seem to think the UES is so bland and clean they need to walk around here more often. *LOL*
It IS bland and clean, so long as you avoid anything EAST of Park Avenue. Come to think of it, that probably explains why I like the Upper East Side because I spend most of my time West of Lexington Avenue when visiting the area.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 PM

33,873 posts, read 47,070,732 times
86 and Lex has been a seedy corner since HMV days....it was always dirty. Reminds me of Midtown more than the Upper East Side. I saw a purse-snatching in broad daylight there once.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2014, 05:33 PM

9,242 posts, read 24,023,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
86 and Lex has been a seedy corner since HMV days....it was always dirty. Reminds me of Midtown more than the Upper East Side. I saw a purse-snatching in broad daylight there once.
Definitely a midtown vibe.Isn't there still an upstairs pool hall on 86th just East of Lex ? How many of those are left in Manhattan ? And of course Papaya King has a vibe all it's own,especially at 2 or 3 am. Thank god some things haven't changed.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 PM

33,873 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Definitely a midtown vibe.Isn't there still an upstairs pool hall on 86th just East of Lex ? How many of those are left in Manhattan ? And of course Papaya King has a vibe all it's own,especially at 2 or 3 am. Thank god some things haven't changed.
I haven't been on 86 and Lex in years....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times
Indeed, there is a pool hall mid-block on 86th, before you get to Papaya King, Eastside Billiards. Given the nature of the street, and the number of chain stores in the shopping district, not the same as more posh stores on the UES, it does tend to have a Midtown look, I agree. There is also a mental health training center/treatment facility on 86th, so that can tend to attract a population that would not otherwise venture into the area, i.e, some of the mentally ill people that are regularly seen in those environs, just like the methadone clinics tend to attract a particular demographic that is not always representative of the neighborhood. Add to that the subway on the corner, and the attraction of the shops, and it can tend to be more like Midtown than neighboring areas on the UES.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 PM

544 posts, read 1,523,151 times
Don't know if they are still there, but there used to be a food-vendor van always parked in that block, and I think another van on the other side of 86th st. (bet. 86th and 85th). So food wrappings and food were scattered around. Any major subway station is likely dirty with crowds of all kinds of people passing by or (homeless) wandering around.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 PM

Old School Pop Quiz!

Who remembers or knows what store was on the northwest corner of 86th and Lexington where HMV was then Best Buy is now?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Old School Pop Quiz!

Who remembers or knows what store was on the northwest corner of 86th and Lexington where HMV was then Best Buy is now?
That would have been the Uptown branch of Gimbel's that closed and was converted to apartments with retail on the lower levels, with the façade replaced to suit residential use.

I was asking my father about 86th Street, since he grew up in Carnegie Hill, and there were always an array of odd stores on that strip, from discount electronics stores to discount stores that one would not necessarily associate with the UES. So, it's nothing new, and despite the addition of various residential buildings over the years, has not changed too dramatically. I do not recall that much difference from my earliest memories of that strip to today.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City