Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 PM

25 posts, read 11,834 times

Advertisements

NYC has become such an ugly city to live in because of the ghettos. These ugly projects are everywhere. They should not be built near shops and other residentials. The mayor can do a better job of safer neighborhoods. Just remove all the ghettos from these areas and send them back to where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 02:56 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Move out of New York then

Old 09-21-2014, 02:59 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
I had been in miami for the last month and just got back end of last week. Walking around, I just don't understand the obsession of packing as many people into this city as possible. And poor people at that.
For the life of me, I can't understand why the policies designed to attract even more low / no income people here, eg hear boring illegal immigrants, building affordable housing for 800k people.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:11 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I had been in miami for the last month and just got back end of last week. Walking around, I just don't understand the obsession of packing as many people into this city as possible.
You'd almost think we're living on a damn island.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:34 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
I had been in miami for the last month and just got back end of last week. Walking around, I just don't understand the obsession of packing as many people into this city as possible. And poor people at that.
For the life of me, I can't understand why the policies designed to attract even more low / no income people here, eg hear boring illegal immigrants, building affordable housing for 800k people.
When in doubt, the answer is always money. Somebody is eating real good because of this. Steak with all the trimmings.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-21-2014, 04:49 PM

25 posts, read 11,834 times
Quote:
I agree. It's ridiculous that the city is that stupid in letting these ghettos live here and trash and commit crimes. If I were mayor I would eliminate crimes by getting rid of these people. No reason why people should be worried about safe neighborhoods bc of these knuckleheads.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:40 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2873 View Post
NYC has become such an ugly city to live in because of the ghettos. These ugly projects are everywhere. They should not be built near shops and other residentials. The mayor can do a better job of safer neighborhoods. Just remove all the ghettos from these areas and send them back to where they belong.

"Has become"? As opposed to when? Are you saying that NYC was gorgeous in the 1970s, but deteriorated because of some new ghettos? And I guess you also think that the city set out to build ghettoes, right near where you don't think they should be? And, hm, a better job of safer neighborhoods? I guess you haven't seen crime statistics for the last decade?

Exactly how well do you know NYC? How long have you lived here?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:58 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
back in the 60's - 70's Manhattan was not really deserireable place to live. pj's were built all over there...

ie: 9th ave 17th street, totally un deserireable- but now all of a sudden the area is hot an jumping....well the pj's were there first,
Chelsea 8th ave 16/17th street, my BFF lived in one of those tenements, totally un- deseriebale, I lived in a house in Staten Island, tell me who had the better quality of life......but now, you cant touch Chelsea..........

so in regard to the the first poster, Manhattan is geared more to the rich and richer.....aint no more poor people moving in......who was ever there is staying......

Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
The real deal is that many of the PJs were built originally in undesirable areas like Harlem, the Lower East Side, Red Hook, Long Island City, etc. Projects were erected in Coney Island because it was far away from the desirable areas of the city. And East New York was not exactly a bed of roses before the projects. The city just grew and now a lot of public housing abuts nice areas. There really is nothing to be done about that poverty right next to affluence. That's a hallmark of New York and will be for a long time

Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The real deal is that many of the PJs were built originally in undesirable areas like Harlem, the Lower East Side, Red Hook, Long Island City, etc. Projects were erected in Coney Island because it was far away from the desirable areas of the city. And East New York was not exactly a bed of roses before the projects. The city just grew and now a lot of public housing abuts nice areas. There really is nothing to be done about that poverty right next to affluence. That's a hallmark of New York and will be for a long time
That is not wholly accurate.

Housing projects were located NYC as elsewhere back in the day based often upon two primary reasons; as part of slum clearance/urban renewal they replaced tenement or slum housing, and or where land could be found in large parcels cheaply.

Many of the "projects" in Harlem, Chelsea, UWS, Yorkville/Spanish Harlem, etc... and others not located along the waterfronts were built for the former reason. Those along the East River, Coney Island, etc... were sited because of mainly the second, land then could be found cheaply enough to build large scale developments.

At the time the main way of getting land for housing projects usually involved HUD/Urban Renewal schemes under eminent domain. For that to work the area must be declared blighted. Well parts of Harlem, Bronx, Hell's Kitchen, UWS and so forth... certainly fit that description. As did much of the waterfront areas not only of Manhattan below mid-town but also in Brooklyn in places such as Red Hook running north up and around to Fort Greene, to Clinton Hill etc...

Staten Island at the time was one of the few places with lots of undeveloped property so citing projects was a bit easier. IIRC Todt Hill, Berry and West Brighton Houses were built on empty or barely occupied (low density) areas.

When Super Storm Sandy blew into NYC and caused widespread flooding of several NYCHA properties the question was raised in several media reports and elsewhere why such high density housing was built near bodies of water. The answer from NYC and others who were in position to know was simple, at the time it was where cheap land could be had.

If is wasn't for the current red hot RE market in much of NYC especially most of Manhattan those low lying areas downtown would still be "cheap land". But as we have seen with Battery Park City (which struggled for years by the way) market rate housing could easily survive today in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City