Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:27 PM

251 posts, read 341,852 times

Advertisements

Although I would add that if you have a background in education you will be in demand for editorial roles with textbook publishers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:11 AM

23 posts, read 35,396 times
Hi rrv224 -

Thank you for your response. What area did you work in and how was it? What was your job title? I don't know which area I'm interested in yet which is why I would like to hear personal experiences for any area.

For example, if someone on the board said they were interested in higher ed, I would respond this is my job title and this is the pros and cons of what I do.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:16 AM

222 posts, read 714,845 times
My husband worked in publishing for over 25 years as a warehouse manager and in production. He loved his work both for a textbook and trade publisher. The warehouse manager positions are few because that work is done by fulfillment centers outside of NYC.

Another friend works for Wiley as a book editor for botany textbooks. If you have good writing and people skills, this might be a good direction for you.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 PM

251 posts, read 341,852 times
My stint in consumer magazines was short-lived and it was quite a while ago so I don't know if I would offer any insight that would be relevant today.

I worked on the editorial side of things, at an entry-level position. It was a lot of administrative, research and project management work. I didn't get to edit or write anything.

Editorial positions are going to vary at magazines, depending on the type/content of the magazine. Do you have a specific interest line? News? Lifestyle? Sports? Womens? A beauty editor at a womens magazine has a very different job than an international editor at a news magazine. It would really help to learn more about what it is you want to do.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:30 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
All I keep hearing is that they are downsizing. One friend lost his job at US News & World Report, another at McMillian a few years ago. Wiley is nice if you can get in. They have cut back in certain departments. I am currently taking a class with a whole bunch of people trying to get out of publishing because they are concerned about job security at their current jobs.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:27 AM

23 posts, read 35,396 times
Thank you all for your insights. I have also heard good things about Wiley. As I said before, I'm still exploring options so all information is good information. Fortunately, I'm in a situation where if things don't work out, I would be okay. I can always return to what I'm doing now.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:44 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,190 times
Scholastic/Scholastic Education may also be a good contender. I specify the education division because there are a lot of great programs for students/kids. They do a lot of great work with local schools and across the country. Also, there are quite a few people who come from a teaching background. The only downsides I would say is that there are more temps than actual permenent employees, but thats kind of expected at this point. Also depending on how you view it, the offices are located in Soho..that can be good or bad.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitonyc View Post
So I take it you are not in publishing and are not interested in being helpful. I'd love to hear from others who are actually in publishing, and I'm over responding to this type of conversation. Feel free to continue, but I'm not being pulled into a weird debate.

I have worked in publishing, and I'd be happy to be helpful in a way that I thought would actually be helpful. However, I don't feel like giving out personal information about my job to strangers on the internet. General experience isn't really relevant for you, and it's amusing that you're asking for our information without telling us anything about yourself. You're in education, you say, but your opportunities might be vastly different depending on whether you're an elementary school principal, a high-school algebra teacher, or a college professor teaching 19th century British literature. I suspect you're fancying yourself as an editor, but you don't say that, either. Publishers, like all big companies, have many of the same jobs - legal, publicity, accounting, human resources, etc. We have no idea if you have any particular expertise.

The only piece of general information that occurs to me offhand is that magazines seem to generally be higher stress than book publishing.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I have worked in publishing, and I'd be happy to be helpful in a way that I thought would actually be helpful. However, I don't feel like giving out personal information about my job to strangers on the internet. General experience isn't really relevant for you, and it's amusing that you're asking for our information without telling us anything about yourself. You're in education, you say, but your opportunities might be vastly different depending on whether you're an elementary school principal, a high-school algebra teacher, or a college professor teaching 19th century British literature. I suspect you're fancying yourself as an editor, but you don't say that, either. Publishers, like all big companies, have many of the same jobs - legal, publicity, accounting, human resources, etc. We have no idea if you have any particular expertise.

The only piece of general information that occurs to me offhand is that magazines seem to generally be higher stress than book publishing.
Cida,

Same thing I was thinking.

This poster wants people to tell everything about themself but yet doesn't give enough background to have one give a suggestion.

As Cida has said there are many different positions at publishing companies requiring different experience. Also what others have stated many publishing companies are downsizing, the printed word is going out of style since the Internet and many newspapers and magazines have either folded or are only circulated on the internet.

Sounds like you want to pick someone's brain to fake your way into a position which will not work.

Last edited by luvnyc; 09-25-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: