Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
But how did NYC become attractive to them?
TV shows.

MSM has really pushed onto my generation that city living is the cool, socially and readily accepted way to go when you become an adult. Look at all the shows in the 90s. All of them featured being in the big cities, glorifying it. All the shows about the rural areas where depressing, and made that living undesirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertHarrisontheThird View Post
I think you're on to something. Nobody I knew in the 90s listened to grunge, and I consider myself a pretty middle-of the-road GenX'er. Was there a music type that most GenX'ers latched onto?
Probably just pop music, which is why it was deemed pop music. And I am pretty sure, when the Gen Xers were teens they listened to 80s and early to mid 90s music. I guess some grunge was mixed into that, but I hardly doubt you could live the lifestyle. Unless, you are Guy Fieri that hair style and clothing will not be accepted in the work place.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Actually, I dont even believe Gen X was into grunge unless they of course had a large trust fund too like the modern hipsters. Grunge really was marketed towards the teens and that mostly was still Gen Y in the 90s.

I mean, seriously, how could any self respecting, working Gen X adult be into something like grunge unless he was basically a spoiled rich kid who did not have to work for a living? Of course that did probably exist, but not in the numbers for which you can claim grunge was Gen X

The modern day Gen Y hipsters, were probably some of the grunge kids back in the 90s when they were in middle and high school.
All I know is that goth scene of the 80s and grunge scene of the the 90s was mainly Gen x. Even though I'm an early millennial I do remember some early millennial of my cohort who were part of the grunge scene. Today your average millennial likes that hipster stuff with whimsical baby music playing in the background with trips to Boston, Portland, San Francisco and Brooklyn.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXsoul View Post
where these mofos come from?
I remember this question being asked about certain racial/ethnic groups, before the Bronx, Brooklyn & Queens became the BX, BK & Frushing!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 AM

80 posts, read 156,874 times
Bohemians have been around for decades in all the familiar incarnations (hippie, punk etc.), making culture. When the internet came along and began doing its pernicious twist on human thought, bohemian and otherwise, the hipster was born, rising like a facial-haired phoenix out of the digital flames.

Bohemians + internet = hipsters

Bohemians = analog

Hipsters = digital

Bohemians = brew or steep to taste

Hipsters = just add water and stir

Captain Obvious says it's the internet what created hipsters.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
All I know is that goth scene of the 80s and grunge scene of the the 90s was mainly Gen x. Even though I'm an early millennial I do remember some early millennial of my cohort who were part of the grunge scene. Today your average millennial likes that hipster stuff with whimsical baby music playing in the background with trips to Boston, Portland, San Francisco and Brooklyn.
I thought the Goth scene was a part of the mid 90s lifestyles like skating, and such. I was not aware they had goth in the 80s. My first thought of Goth was Marilyn Manson, and ilk.

Of course it was Gen X and prior generations that worked behind the scenes to perpetuate the grunge scene, but it was the Gen Yers sucking it up, and making their parents spend money on it. All the musicians most definitely came from the Gen X, no doubt (pun intended, the band haha). Green Day, Offspring, Pearl Jam yes, those are Gen X musicians. But I thought this was about the fanboys.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXsoul View Post
Lol I never get tired about this subject. It's like life greatest mystery lol

where these mofos come from?

How did it all stared?

Will my neighborhood be next?
rofl

I just moved back to NYC. Took my wife to Williamsburg and I swear, those same questions went through my mind. In that order too.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
But how did NYC become attractive to them?
It's not just nyc. I was in Miami before moving back to the city. They are in large numbers on the east side of Miami, specifically edge water, south beach and wyndwood areas.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 PM

275 posts, read 416,262 times
If you look at the statistics, hipsters -- that is, millennials -- aren't really responsible for surging rents and housing prices in NYC. The investment banking boom that started in the 1980's was probably the one of the first "culprits." During the late 1970's, there was a lot of uncertainty about the future of NYC (and cities in general). Soon after this initial influx of capital, people began to look at buying New York real estate as an "investment." Then, wealthy foreigners from places like Russia decided to join in on all the fun and began to "park" their money here. The crack wars subsided in the 1990's and with all this money coming in, NYC became an attractive (and cleaner) place to live again. Finally, during the 2000's, rising gas prices made walkable cities like NYC even more desirable.

The hipster phenomenon is likely tied to the transition from a manufacturing economy to a service one. Until the 1960's and 1970's, most Americans went straight from high school into a factory job or trade. Working a 9-5 factory job isn't really conducive to hipster activities like "personal expression" and sleeping in till noon.

From its founding, New York City has been attractive to all types of transplants. Hipsters are one type of transplant, so it's not surprising they flock here in large numbers (just like everybody else)

Old 09-28-2014, 07:05 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
It's not just nyc. I was in Miami before moving back to the city. They are in large numbers on the east side of Miami, specifically edge water, south beach and wyndwood areas.
True. Isn't Portland considered the mecca for hipsters? Hipsters are all over the place but I think they're no longer quite as hip or morphed into something else. And goth first started in the early 80's. I recall seeing them everywhere in the East Village area. So, they predate Marilyn Manson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City