Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 AM

250 posts, read 269,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The new legislation doubles the maximum fine for landlords found guilty of tenant harassment from $5,000 per unit to 10,000, and also doubles the minimum fine from $1,000 to $2,000 for repeat offenders. But that's not all! The names of The Guilty, along with the address of the building at which the harassing took place, will be published on HPD's website, which would probably be more effective if anyone ever looked at the HPD website, ever.

As a stopgap alternative for apartment-seekers, erstwhile Public Advocate Bill de Blasio also maintained a Worst Landlords Watchlist, though it's currently out-of-date. (A spokesperson for the current public advocate, Letitia James, assures us it will be updated this fall.)

While there are plenty of landlords across this city who do the right thing by their tenants, we know there are select, consistent bad actors that make life hard in a city where finding quality, affordable housing is a challenge,” said Councilman Jumaane Williams, who sponsored the bill along with Councilwoman Margaret Chin. “I am proud to cosponsor a bill that will combat harassment from landlords and will reduce the financial incentive to harass tenants out of their homes by raising violation fines. This bill is not meant to fine landlords the maximum penalty for every violation, but will give judges the discretion to levy the fine against the most egregious bad actors."
New Law Will Publicly Shame Landlords Who Harass Tenants: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
nice! always in support of shaming scumbags

To be fair, we also need a public list of tenant scumbags. You know who you are - move in alone, pay first month + security, next thing you know you're 6 people living there and don't pay a single rent check and stay rent free until your eviction 18 months later

Old 09-24-2014, 11:30 AM

197 posts, read 517,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
nice! always in support of shaming scumbags

To be fair, we also need a public list of tenant scumbags. You know who you are - move in alone, pay first month + security, next thing you know you're 6 people living there and don't pay a single rent check and stay rent free until your eviction 18 months later

Unfortunately landlords are always the "bad" guys and "tenants" are the good guys. I wish they had a list for tenants as well, but I don't think any politician wants to touch that.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Landlords who abuse tenants already by and large receive media coverage, so what else is new?

Once again this progressive City government thinks it has all the answers. However in the end they will have their eyes opened for them when the law of unintended consequences kicks in.

Sooner or later the ever increasing "control" of the NYC rental market will drive out smaller landlords as properties are sold to larger. Large property owners/mangers are much more focused on value for money. Instead of a local landlord with a "personal" touch you'll get an office of "professionals" along with a army of attorneys. Pay rent late? You'll get a Three Day Notice automatically. A bit short until your next gig or until your baby's daddy gets his check? Tell it to the judge.

All this and or they will simply decide to take where viable buildings out of the rental market and go condo or co-op.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:59 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Good. All for it.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
how do they prove that a landlord harrassed a tenant? is there some kind of accusatory instrument available to the public once a judgment of harrassment is made(similar to a criminal court file)? i know landlord tenant harrassment usually involves ploys to get the tenant to move

Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Sooner or later the ever increasing "control" of the NYC rental market will drive out smaller landlords as properties are sold to larger. Large property owners/mangers are much more focused on value for money. Instead of a local landlord with a "personal" touch you'll get an office of "professionals" along with a army of attorneys. Pay rent late? You'll get a Three Day Notice automatically. A bit short until your next gig or until your baby's daddy gets his check? Tell it to the judge.

All this and or they will simply decide to take where viable buildings out of the rental market and go condo or co-op.

This is happening already.

I am not sure "unintended consequences" is quite right, though.
They do know but want to make the political gesture.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:46 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is happening already.

I am not sure "unintended consequences" is quite right, though.
They do know but want to make the political gesture.
Yeah like 20 years ago. The poster above is no doubt talking outerboroughs, because in Manhattan there are essentially no landlords who are going to waste their time dealing with the idiot tenants that ruin it for everybody, that's what you pay a property manager for

Old 09-24-2014, 08:06 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Oh I don't know about that.

Can take you to at least ten UES/Yorkville buildings that are still owned by a small landlord and managed by same and his wife/family. They do the maintenance work, put out the rubbish, clean the sidewalks, and oh yes collect the rents.

They are all old school Irish, Italian, German, Hungarian, and other European-Americans that have been in the area since the El trains ran on Third and maybe even Second Avenues. That or their parents own the property. Some have other buildings in the area and make their money managing the lot. What you also see however is that the wife works in a office or somewhere which not only brings in a steady paycheck but provides health insurance.

Their numbers may be small and shrinking but not every rental building in Manhattan is owned by the large Jewish or other real estate families and or managed by companies.

This recently played out on Second Avenue in the 80's where Icon Properties has been buying up the east side of the Avenue between 81st and 80th Streets for a new development. Of the several buildings a majority were owned by "small" families and in one case they wouldn't sell forcing (from the word on street) a change in plans.

Owner of Divino's restaurant owned that entire building with rental apartments above.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 4,372 times
wont happen housing court favors bad landlords i have police reports photos tape recordings and they do nothing all because I let in the DOB without knowing what wasgoing on was hurrying home from work he said he had papers showed them he had to get in for an inspection asked how many apartments in the walk up said four then after his inspection told allthe tenants we were renting illegal conversion apartments no we did not know and no we got nothing for free paid market rental rates each month. go to housing court for help we get told get out so what they keep your security and collected over 15oo a month in rent from each of the tenants yet you got low life tenants milking the system being evicted for non payment ad they get months of free rent screw over the landlords and those of us who work pay taxes get punished we all work pay our taxes paid our rent on time had to wait weeks for repairs never called 311 and in return he harassed threaten each of us and the cops could not do a damm thing said housing court will handle it yeah right they wont even attempt to listen to any of us yet these lowlifes who rent then say i cant afford it my landlord wont fix a b c so i dont pay or but i have money to blow on what i want. get the hell real. bad landlords and bad tenants need to be held accountable and good landlords and good tenants should not pay the price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: