Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:46 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimscobie View Post
Oh, and also the J train is really slow, so if you have an interview leave yourself plenty of time to get there! I will update if I get a call, fingers crossed!
The J train? Isn't this building on Franklin near Fulton (C train)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 6,784 times
i just got a call from the management company- i got approved for the apartment. they told me i had to see it this week between 8:30-4:45 pm and move within 5-10 days of viewing it. after waiting over a year to hear anything this feels SO rushed to me. anyway, i managed to convince her to let me see it Monday. I will update as soon as i see it and the neighborhood.
also- jad2k the interview isn't at the apartment, it's at the management company's office.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:47 AM

49 posts, read 81,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimscobie View Post
i just got a call from the management company- i got approved for the apartment. they told me i had to see it this week between 8:30-4:45 pm and move within 5-10 days of viewing it. after waiting over a year to hear anything this feels SO rushed to me. anyway, i managed to convince her to let me see it Monday. I will update as soon as i see it and the neighborhood.
also- jad2k the interview isn't at the apartment, it's at the management company's office.
Thanks for the update and please let us know if you see the apartments! We are still waiting for a call back about the two bedrooms but if we don't hear soon we will need to sign a lease on another apartment. I did hear the two bedrooms are pretty small so not sure it would work out for us anyways.

The building is taking forever!!

Old 09-15-2015, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 6,784 times
OK guys... here's the bad news. I saw the studio yesterday, and it is 14x17 ft. I mean, it is ridiculously small. I couldn't even believe it when I walked in. And there is only 1 wall that I could put furniture against because the others either had 3 doors along it, a bunch of windows, or a huge AC unit jutting into the room. What a huge let-down. Besides the size, it's gorgeous- brand new wood floors, all new appliances (even dishwasher), there's a gym downstairs, a community room. The kitchen is tiny, as would be expected, but the bathroom is HUGE. This made no sense to me. Anyway, I turned it down because I cannot live in a tiny room that will literally only fit my bed. And when I called to say no thanks, the management company asked why and I told them- it's way too small! He then tried to offer me a different studio (of the same dimensions!) and mentioned that the building has a no pets policy. This annoyed me to no end because I have a cat and if it said no pets ANYWHERE, I would not have bothered applying. Also, if they had posted the floor plans ANYWHERE, I would not have wasted my time. I have no idea why they are keeping this information so secret, it's just wasting everyone's time. So that's the end of my experience with NYCHC. I hope you all have a better experience than I did.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 8,745 times
For anyone still interested in this thread, I was log #32000+ and have just been approved for a 2 bedroom unit (after nearly 3 months of back and forth about paperwork). I will see the unit on Wednesday next week and post about it here. Nervous that it's as tiny as the studios that kimscobie described. I assume no one has seen any of the 2 beds yet?

Old 10-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinTransit View Post
For anyone still interested in this thread, I was log #32000+ and have just been approved for a 2 bedroom unit (after nearly 3 months of back and forth about paperwork). I will see the unit on Wednesday next week and post about it here. Nervous that it's as tiny as the studios that kimscobie described. I assume no one has seen any of the 2 beds yet?
That would be great if you could let us know! Take pics lol. I heard they are small but no one has said anything else. For us it has been radio silence since our interview in August so I'm not sure what that means.

Keep us posted!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:27 PM

I just found these listings on StreetEasy... pics included. Doesn't say anything about square footage though!

2 Bed: 482 Franklin Ave. in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn | StreetEasy
Studio: 482 Franklin Ave. in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn | StreetEasy

Old 10-05-2015, 03:33 PM

Wow thanks. Those look really nice! I'm curious why they are advertising it publicly when they haven't even processed all the lottery applications. I mean we never even heard anything. Strange. I guess I'll just keep trying to bug my leasing rep.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhouse13 View Post
Wow thanks. Those look really nice! I'm curious why they are advertising it publicly when they haven't even processed all the lottery applications. I mean we never even heard anything. Strange. I guess I'll just keep trying to bug my leasing rep.
Santiago initially processed my paperwork, but after nearly 5 weeks of not hearing anything, I called and learned that he was no longer working there. My paperwork was just sitting for awhile! I suggest you call Wavecrest and get them to pull your file out from wherever it is!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinTransit View Post
Santiago initially processed my paperwork, but after nearly 5 weeks of not hearing anything, I called and learned that he was no longer working there. My paperwork was just sitting for awhile! I suggest you call Wavecrest and get them to pull your file out from wherever it is!
Oh my gosh! The same thing happened to me today. What is frustrating is that they still have his voice mail set up so if you call you think he is still working there. This is really ridiculous that it has been handled this way. The new rep was very nice though and seems to be taking our case seriously (finally). I am annoyed though, because there were some bigger 2 bedroom apartments that were available when we interviewed in August that are now gone because so much time passed with our case just sitting there. We are a family of four so I am not sure if the apartments left will be big enough for us. Oh well, things happen for a reason...

Anyway, thanks so much for your reply. I am not sure if there are that many people reading this forum or not but it is very helpful when people respond.

Is there anyone out there who has moved in that can share anything with us?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery