Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertHarrisontheThird View Post
They did 80 years ago. Black-on-white violence was very rare before the 60s. Whites couldn't be destroyed by nonwhites calling them racists. Every week we some notable white figure getting called a racist and losing his job or worse. The only time I see nonwhites suffer from being accused of racism is if they offend Jews. If they only offend white gentiles nothing happens to them.

Nonwhites are protected by the Jewish establishment. Accept the obvious.

Nonwhites fear being called antisemites, which is why they tend to be very submissive to the Jews.
As I asked before, do you advocate lynching, rape and other abhorrent behaviors as a means of control or fear? Because that's what was used 80 years ago. I don't fear anyone but if that's supposedly due to the Jewish establishment, then eh ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I'd argue that it's because Jews have the power in this country. Whites still hold power but can now be held accountable for their racism as opposed to the past, so now that racism is more subtle, everyone would like to declare that racism doesn't exist and we're all one big happy family. What a load of crap. Racism is alive on ALL sides.... Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians... Same crap. Just more undercover. To some degree I think blacks don't fear whites as much or are just fed up with the uneven playing field and just don't care, and as a white male I'd say that the playing field is certainly not even, at least not here in NYC. Just look at who has the high paying jobs here overall. Whites still get the good paying jobs in the corporate world, live in the nicer neighborhoods, have the connections to get ahead and so on whereas blacks generally don't have that and I believe that there is a level of resentment there, so even something as small as them not turning down their music can be a moral victory for them.
Listen, I don't believe that racism doesn't exist and that we all can hold hands. I don't believe we're all borgs, one and the same. There are differences but I think that is cultural more than racial. At the same time, racism in my opinion is a pox on society and just doesn't have a place. Everyone should be held accountable for clearly racist speech and acts. There needs to be middle ground, but I'm not sure when we,ll find it.

In the meantime I'm going to live my life. I own all my successes and failures. I don't have time to be resentful or wonder if someone's out to get me. Both my husband and I, nonwhite, are doing ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 03:09 PM

300 posts, read 374,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Those denying the clear ethnic and cultural undertones in this city baffle me.
Just take a look at the neighborhoods.

This is what makes NYC so palatable for immigrants. Everyone can live in their own bubble.
It's true. I guess some people think that because neighborhoods are gentrifying and people of various colors are living in the same neighborhood that somehow we're making progress. Even in those cases things can be segregated. One group may live on one side of the neighborhood and so on. I have a friend who moved to Williamsburg when it was gentrifying and he would make comments about how he didn't stray past certain streets, even though it was part of the same neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:17 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
It's true. I guess some people think that because neighborhoods are gentrifying and people of various colors are living in the same neighborhood that somehow we're making progress. Even in those cases things can be segregated. One group may live on one side of the neighborhood and so on. I have a friend who moved to Williamsburg when it was gentrifying and he would make comments about how he didn't stray past certain streets, even though it was part of the same neighborhood.
Gentrification is simply whites trying to re-position themselves as a result of their dwindling numbers (in the outer boroughs) and being "pushed" out of their old neighborhoods.

Take me as the perfect example. When I'm done with my MS in Finance, it's either Manhattan/Downtown Brooklyn for me or moving out of state. I find myself much more drawn and culturally comfortable in majority white neighborhoods. Call me whatever you want but it's simply a personal preference. I'm the son of immigrants (from Eastern Europe) but I refuse to live among immigrants; even white immigrants (do they exist in NYC? lol) I love immigrant food but that's about it.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
Sounds like the guy was a tool. He knew he was being rude and choose to be. I don't know if the race angle has anything to do with it. But it wouldn't surprise me if him carrying on the way he did was an underlying factor.

Last year at this time I had a young black women repeatedly knock on my door and ringing my doorbell because she was trying to get me to switch to a different power company. People had been doing this for a several times a week for the past few months. Sadly for her she bore my full wrath, one because I had enough of solicitors knocking on my door, 2 because she kept knocking and ringing the doorbell, 3 I was working round robins and trying to sleep before I went back at midnight and finally my dog was going crazy barking at her.

She called me a racist and I did not utter one race baiting word at her. I did call her the C word. Which apparently is a nuclear bomb to a black women. But whatever you rang my bell so **** you ****.

I had to call the cops about her and file numerous complaints with the company she was selling for, but they denied she was an employee just a contractor and not responsible for her actions or anyone else going door to door for them. I had to have my attorney send the power company a strongly worded letter because when she was going nuts on my porch she made various threats at me, my dog, house etc...so I had to make sure I covered all my bases.

She started off all sweet but went straight to gangsta hood rat when I told her to **** off. But like I said earlier the ***** rang my bell, so **** you ****. Most of the incident was caught on various cameras on my neighbors houses, If I wanted to I could have put her down when she was going buck wild and making threats. I remained calm and dialed 911, Cops never responded by then her co-worker working the opposite end of the street got her out of there.

Only good thing to come out of this was that once my the letter my attorney sent out was received and replied to it stated that my development would no longer be solicited by this company any longer.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
I'm losing brain cells reading some of this braintrash.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Gentrification is simply whites trying to re-position themselves as a result of their dwindling numbers (in the outer boroughs) and being "pushed" out of their old neighborhoods.

Take me as the perfect example. When I'm done with my MS in Finance, it's either Manhattan/Downtown Brooklyn for me or moving out of state. I find myself much more drawn and culturally comfortable in majority white neighborhoods. Call me whatever you want but it's simply a personal preference. I'm the son of immigrants (from Eastern Europe) but I refuse to live among immigrants; even white immigrants (do they exist in NYC? lol) I love immigrant food but that's about it.
Same here. I don't think there's anything racist about it either.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
How cute. Henna doesn't like being called out. Getting a taste of her own medicine for a change. It's about time someone stood up to you. Such a bully.
I just reported you for a personal attack. The bully is YOU!

All I did was express my opinion, which matches some of other opinions in this thread. I don't know what your problem is. All you've done today is attack me, and you think you are somehow in the right.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Same here. I don't think there's anything racist about it either.
No one really cares, honestly.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I just reported you for a personal attack. The bully is YOU!

All I did was express my opinion, which matches some of other opinions in this thread. I don't know what your problem is. All you've done today is attack me, and you think you are somehow in the right.
My "attack" was in response to your condescending comments to other posters which I have seen in a number of your responses for some time now and after you came for me with that snarky remark in the informal dress thread, my frustration blew over and I simply expressed my opinion about it, which I have a right to do. The worst I said was that your censoring tactics were that of a bully. If that's an attack then so be it.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:39 PM

NYC is very segregated, so I find it funny that people have preconceived notions about southern states. And assume the city is one big melting pot because you see so many different faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City