Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 30,890 times

Advertisements

Me and my GF are visiting NY for a few days and staying at a hotel near Times Square. We've never been to NYC before, so I'd appreciate some help navigating the train and subway system.

We're parking in Hoboken and using the PATH train, which gets us to 33rd Street.

We'll have luggage, so I don't want to walk the 1/2 mile from 33rd Street to Times Square. Instead, I'd like to take the subway. I am told, we can just "hop on" the "N", "R", or "Q" subway line.

My 1st question is how to "hop on" exactly? Do we come up out of the PATH station into Greeley Square, and then walk to some subway station nearby? Or is the subway station underground in the same location as where we'll get off the PATH train?

2nd question: Where exactly can I buy the metrocard tickets to use the subway? Is it like an automated kiosk that accepts credit card?

3rd question: Will it be a problem to bring rollabord-style luggage onto the subway? (Not a ton of luggage, just maybe 3 bags for the both of us.)

Thank you for your assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 AM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
You're best bet is to just walk (rolling your luggage) the nine blocks up to times square. If you want, you can take the F train, which is in the same station as the PATH at 33rd street, one stop up to 42nd, and walk the one Avenue over. And there's no problem taking your rollie bags onto the subway. You'll just have to muscle them up and down the stairs.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
With the PATH, there's signs directing you to the subway trains in the same station. Make sure the trains are going to "Uptown & Queens"

Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Why would you be bringing your luggage with you, from Hoboken to Times Square?

Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Best is to walk the 9 blocks really. It would be less than 15mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Exactly what i was thinking.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I'm not taking my luggage to Times Square. I'm taking my luggage to our hotel on Times Square. The DoubleTree Hilton if you are curious.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:09 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh3h View Post
I'm not taking my luggage to Times Square. I'm taking my luggage to our hotel on Times Square. The DoubleTree Hilton if you are curious.
Sooooo assuming you're taking your luggage to wherever your hotel is, and your hotel is in Times Square, then aren't you indeed taking your luggage to Times Square....?

Old 09-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Thank you for the information about the subway station.

Can someone clarify for me where exactly the exit/entrance to the 33rd Street PATH station is? Is it stairs that lead up to Greeley Square? I can't tell from google maps.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Sooooo assuming you're taking your luggage to wherever your hotel is, and your hotel is in Times Square, then aren't you indeed taking your luggage to Times Square....?
Yes, but I don't understand the point being made? Do people for some reason think it's strange that I'm taking luggage to my hotel? I've stayed in dozens of hotels all across the US and Europe and I've never once gone to a hotel without luggage... Why are people asking me why I'm bringing luggage to my hotel and/or to the Square where my hotel is located?

I can understand if the asker did not read the part in my OP that my hotel was located on Times Square, and thought I was simply bringing my luggage to Times Square (sans hotel). In that case, yes that would be strange. Otherwise, it's quite an odd question to wonder why someone would bring luggage to their hotel.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
I can understand if the asker did not read the part in my OP that my hotel was located on Times Square, and thought I was simply bringing my luggage to Times Square (sans hotel). In that case, yes that would be strange.
I did misunderstand your question. Walk. Better than dragging your luggage up & down stairways into & out of the subway.
Quote:
our hotel on Times Square. The DoubleTree Hilton
http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-york/doubletree-suites-by-hilton-hotel-new-york-city-times-square-LGASFDT/index.html
1568 Broadway is a straight walk up Broadway past Macy's & through Times Square. Enjoy!
http://library.gc.cuny.edu/34th_st/archive/files/httplibrarygccunyedu34th_stimages34222ac_25301dd83 6.jpg
I walked from Koreatown to 45th St. this past Wednesday. Plenty of tourists wheeling suitcases.
GoogleMap the street view.

Last edited by bigjake54; 09-28-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: