Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:51 PM

300 posts, read 374,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Isn't there a biking trail from Van Cortlandt Park to Carmel through Westchester?
You clearly don't know the geography of Riverdale. The OP lives up in Spuyten Duyvil near Knolls Crescent where there are several local parks near by that are MUCH closer than Van Cortlandt Park. He would have a long schlepp getting over to Van Cortlandt Park, not to mention getting back up the steep hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,974,832 times
I always wondered what is there to do in northwest Bronx. Beautiful and unique area in NYC without a doubt. What's the main street with storefronts in Riverdale, North Riverdale, Fieldston, Spuyten Duyvil ?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I always wondered what is there to do in northwest Bronx. Beautiful and unique area in NYC without a doubt. What's the main street with storefronts in Riverdale, North Riverdale, Fieldston, Spuyten Duyvil ?
Central Riverdale is the main shopping area which isn't large but it's quaint with a nice mix of small businesses (several restaurants are along Johnson Avenue, along with a Starbucks, and a supermarket is on West 235th) and a few chains. That would be Johnson Avenue and West 235th street, along with Riverdale Avenue from West 236th to West 238th. All of the banks are around that area too (Chase, Wells Fargo, HSBC, Bank of America, Capital One, and two other smaller banks). The locals call it Central Riverdale or "Downtown Riverdale" as it is in the heart of Riverdale and very walkable and outside of Fieldston (the estate area) is probably the most expensive part of Riverdale. There are numerous luxury condos in the area east and west of the Henry Hudson Parkway and tons of co-ops as well.

Greek Express is a favorite of mine for take out. Tin Marin's is iffy but people go there to hang out late along Riverdale Avenue, and there is another bar along the Avenue that stays open late. Also a few pizzerias in the area that are ok, but if you're from Manhattan then these places are just ok, but there are plenty of options here in terms of eating. The thing is most places close very early (another example of the more suburban style living here) so it gets quiet fast at night. You will see people walking their dogs or coming home from Manhattan via the express bus or Metro-North, but other than that it's nice and quiet here and really beautiful. Another of my favorites is the Riverdale Vintner, which is one of the local wine shops. The prices are great, and the owner has several free wine tastings during the month.

Aside from that explore the greenery and the abundance of parks that we have here. I'm a member of Wave Hill and go there to relax and enjoy the views of the Hudson. Absolutely STUNNING! There's also the estate area in Fieldston where one can take walks and enjoy the mansions.

Last edited by hhp3333; 09-28-2014 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM

^ Thanks for the information. After doing some research I found out there is a Yo-Burger and it has good online score. Have you ever tried it ?

Old 09-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
^ Thanks for the information. After doing some research I found out there is a Yo-Burger and it has good online score. Have you ever tried it ?
Actually I have not, simply because I have much better options to chose from, so I haven't bothered with that place as a result. I have burger places in the city that I frequent and prefer. I'm a bit of a food snob so I compare a lot of places here to what I could get in Manhattan, and if they aren't four stars and above, I generally don't bother with them, as I hate wasting money on crap food. In my mind one of the best places here in Riverdale is Greek Express. I frequent An Bocht Beal, moreso for the environment rather than the actual food. The food is okay for brunch at An Bocht Beal if I'm staying local within Riverdale. I love chatting with the locals, listening to the live bands, and the prices really can't be beat for the quality of the food and the booze. I can't get Chimay in the bottle for $8.00 anywhere in Manhattan. I only use Greek Express for take out, as the place is basically a hole in the wall (nice but too small for me to consider eating in), but if you don't live in Riverdale some people go there. From what I've heard the service can be slow. Delivery however is usually pretty quick and I've only had one mix-up in the years that I've been ordering from there.

I'll be honest in saying that a lot of places here aren't that great, though the two bagel places get good reviews along with Liebman's if you're into Jewish cuisine, and there's the Corner Deli and another place next door along Riverdale Avenue for other kosher goods. There have been quite a few places that have opened and closed because the businesses take our patronage for granted and think that people will pay anything just because a new place opens with poor service and subpar food. I like many Riverdalians like to support the local businesses, as they help to make this neighborhood unique, but unlike some folks I am not throwing my money away to do so. From what I've heard Yo-Burger is overhyped, but is frequented mainly by the local high school crowd and is usually quite busy. I'd probably rate it on par with the overhyped Shake Shack to give you an idea with its greasy burgers and blah skinny fries.

Another thing that annoys me about several places here is they don't take credit cards or debit cards. CASH ONLY! I mean really in 2014, I am NOT schlepping to the bank to patronize your business. That's another reason I don't bother with some places here either.

As for shopping though I'll stay local here in Riverdale for the basics, as the supermarket carries more and more organic items, but for more elaborate shopping, the city is so close that it makes sense to go there, so that's what I do, which is what many Riverdalians do, or you go to Westchester.

Last edited by hhp3333; 09-28-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 PM

^ Thanks!

I will be spending more time in Van Cortlandt Park in the upcoming weeks. This is actually one of the few parks in NYC which I rarely visited and know little about. I'll check out the Greek Express on my way there. Cash only ? That's pretty much like Peter Lugers Steak House in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I'm open minded when it comes to food and I'm a fan of Mediterranean cuisine.

Northwest Bronx is like a well kept secret, being so close to Manhattan and all, at least in my opinion. I can guarantee you that not a lot of locals (NYers and those from the metro area alike) know about this area. I believe Kingsbridge will one day will be a popular neighborhood with positive changes. It's proximity to Manhattan and wealthier areas on the Bronx will allow it to materialize. I've met a few 'new comers' who reside in Washington Heights and Inwood. That's right next door.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
^ Thanks!

I will be spending more time in Van Cortlandt Park in the upcoming weeks. This is actually one of the few parks in NYC which I rarely visited and know little about. I'll check out the Greek Express on my way there. Cash only ? That's pretty much like Peter Lugers Steak House in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I'm open minded when it comes to food and I'm a fan of Mediterranean cuisine.

Northwest Bronx is like a well kept secret, being so close to Manhattan and all, at least in my opinion. I can guarantee you that not a lot of locals (NYers and those from the metro area alike) know about this area. I believe Kingsbridge will one day will be a popular neighborhood with positive changes. It's proximity to Manhattan and wealthier areas on the Bronx will allow it to materialize. I've met a few 'new comers' who reside in Washington Heights and Inwood. That's right next door.
Just know that you need to climb very steep hills to get up to Riverdale Avenue. Riverdale has some of the highest elevations in New York City, and the further west you go the higher it gets. If you are driving then of course it isn't a problem, but if you are walking, you would get a serious workout. I see plenty of people literally out of breath trying to take the stairs or walk up the hills that don't live here. One thing you won't see a lot of are fat folks. I think a good amount of Riverdalians are in pretty good shape unless they drive around everywhere. The hills and stairs force you to keep in shape! While they aren't as steep, they're also noticeable along Broadway as well.

Greek Express isn't cash only. It takes credit cards, but for deliveries it's a $20.00 credit card minimum. Not sure what the minimum is within the store, but it may $15.00, so your best bet is just to bring cash. Just about every bank you need is here. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City