Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:06 PM

105,720 posts, read 107,717,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you have 8 points for the 31 mph over the speed limit, only 3 points away from a suspension

you can still take a class to reduce up to 4 points so you can bring it down to 4. then you cannot take the class again for point reduction until after 18 mos

insurance companies don't look at points. points are only a DMV index to determine how close to a suspension you are

some insurance companies forgive the first offense

if you are carrying 8 points by the time you renew your registration (18 mos from the ticket issued) you will have to pay a driver assessment surcharge for each point over 6. something like $100 plus $25 per point over the 6. surcharges start at 6 points
where you got the idea insurance companies don't look at points escapes me but it is not true at all once you are over 154 mph.

Under Insurance Law § 2335, speeds of 15 mph or less over the limit (i.e. 80 in a 65) should not affect your rates. over that and it is up to whether your company picks up on it

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-29-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,547,633 times
if you get your point total down to 4 with the class, if you do this again in the next 18 mos (31 mph over) you will have 12 points and they will suspend your license.
even after completing the class you will be carrying around 4 points, not zero, so you have to be extra careful on the road

wear your seatbelts--2 points for a violation

stop for a stopped schoolbus even if its on a 2 directional road. i do this despite people honking me. 5 points for a violation

Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,547,633 times
they look at violations, suspensions and whether you took the class to figure out surcharges, discounts

the points only serve as an index for the DMV of how close to suspension a motorist is. its the DMV that suspends a license not the insurance company. mere points don't mean anything to an insurance company but its the offenses(how many, what type) that caused the points that means something

Old 09-29-2014, 06:34 PM

yes, they look at violations. however only up to 15mph is not surchargable.

N.Y. ISC. LAW § 2335 : NY Code - Section 2335:

No insurer authorized to transact or transacting business in this state, or controlling or controlled by or under common control by or with an insurer authorized to transact or transacting business in this state, which sells a policy providing motor vehicle liability insurance coverage in this state shall increase the policy premium in connection with the insurance permitted or required by this chapter solely because the insured or any other person who customarily operates an automobile covered by the policy: (a) has been found guilty of a traffic infraction under any of the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law provided, however, that this provision shall not apply to a conviction for a violation which occurred during the thirty-six month period ending on the last day of the fourth month preceding the month of the effective date of the policy if such conviction consisted of: (1) operating a motor vehicle at a speed of more than fifteen miles per hour in excess of the legal limit; (2) operating a motor vehicle in excess of the speed limit, or in a reckless manner, where injury or death results therefrom; (3) operating a motor vehicle in excess of the speed limit, or reckless driving, or any combination thereof, on three or more occasions; - See more at: N.Y. ISC. LAW § 2335 : NY Code - Section 2335: Motor vehicle liability insurance rates; prohibition of surcharges for certain traffic infractions

Old 09-30-2014, 01:15 AM

8 posts, read 6,694 times
You may want to reach out to the attorney from notspeeding.com

I was facing 9 points plus suspension and they were able to get my violation reduced to a parking ticket, which was $115. It cost me $700 for the attorney, but it was well worth it since no points were reflected on my record.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 AM

99 posts, read 143,093 times
Ahahaha

Yooooo the same thing happened to me !!! 82mph in a 50zone.

Was he hiding right before the 'bridge' part with his lights off by the trees ? ? ?
I think it was right around Erskine exit if im not mistaken.
Those scumbags been there all week doing a 'ticket blitz'.

6 points and Driver Assessment Fees for 3 years @ $100 per year. Plus court fees. Yeah were screwed bro.
1st offense or not...im just keeping it real.
Have about $600 ready. Thats not including how GEICOS gonna rape us and increase our rates.
AAhhhhh man i feel for you! i really do!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba82 View Post
You may want to reach out to the attorney from notspeeding.com

I was facing 9 points plus suspension and they were able to get my violation reduced to a parking ticket, which was $115. It cost me $700 for the attorney, but it was well worth it since no points were reflected on my record.
was this recently in nyc ,since they don't use a judge anymore?

even the attorney sites tell you this upfront if you hire them to fight a ticket.

tilem assoc are one of the most popular and here is what they say.

"
CONCLUSION

The TVB is a very difficult place for motorists to appear without an attorney. Should you receive a ticket in NYC, it is best that you have an attorney experienced with NYC tickets and the TVB system represent you. You should know that even the most experienced attorneys have difficulty winning dismissals in TVB. There is no plea bargaining and, in reality, the standard of proof is fairly low. Please contact us to discuss your particular ticket or with any other questions about NYC traffic tickets.
"

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-30-2014 at 02:55 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,307,571 times
On Saturday/Sunday mornings, around 7 AM, driving on the Belt Pkwy is quite nice. No one is being a jerk and most people are able to do 70-75 mph without a problem. Everything is so smooth and a drastic departure from the M->F crawl. Sometimes you don't even realize how fast you're going because you're just kind of going along with the flow of traffic and before you know it...

If you're going east, there are always cops at that time. Sometimes westbound at that time but ALWAYS eastbound. Two weekends ago I saw three different people pulled over just in my drive home along the Belt.

Close to exit one, right before you'd merge onto the BQE, is where they really like to do their business. There is often a cop there and there will be days where all he does is pull someone over, reverse and wait for the next guy. I will hear his siren go off all day, since I'm nearby. Don't be at the end of a line of cars---he'll pull you over even if you're all going the same speed. When they're doing their ticket blitz, instead of fighting real crime, it's even worse.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:33 AM

5,841 posts, read 3,259,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
On Saturday/Sunday mornings, around 7 AM, driving on the Belt Pkwy is quite nice. No one is being a jerk and most people are able to do 70-75 mph without a problem. Everything is so smooth and a drastic departure from the M->F crawl. Sometimes you don't even realize how fast you're going because you're just kind of going along with the flow of traffic and before you know it...

If you're going east, there are always cops at that time. Sometimes westbound at that time but ALWAYS eastbound. Two weekends ago I saw three different people pulled over just in my drive home along the Belt.

Close to exit one, right before you'd merge onto the BQE, is where they really like to do their business. There is often a cop there and there will be days where all he does is pull someone over, reverse and wait for the next guy. I will hear his siren go off all day, since I'm nearby. Don't be at the end of a line of cars---he'll pull you over even if you're all going the same speed. When they're doing their ticket blitz, instead of fighting real crime, it's even worse.
Funny,,,people don't even know how understaffed HWY is. If they ever brought it up to the levels that its supposed to be there would be the Niagra Falls of tickets! At night I remember there sometimes is just one HWY car per boro. Pretty crazy!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 8,967 times
Yes that's around where it happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateNYPD View Post
Ahahaha

Yooooo the same thing happened to me !!! 82mph in a 50zone.

Was he hiding right before the 'bridge' part with his lights off by the trees ? ? ?
I think it was right around Erskine exit if im not mistaken.
Those scumbags been there all week doing a 'ticket blitz'.

6 points and Driver Assessment Fees for 3 years @ $100 per year. Plus court fees. Yeah were screwed bro.
1st offense or not...im just keeping it real.
Have about $600 ready. Thats not including how GEICOS gonna rape us and increase our rates.
AAhhhhh man i feel for you! i really do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: