Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Yeah, I agree. I saw that about the old timer. Over pain meds? BTW Bluedog, Is this a nice part of the area? Mostly apt buildings?
Yes,it's a pretty nice block with a couple of co op buildings. It's not the best in the area but the buildings are pretty nice and the block is well taken care of.

This is the building where it happened:http://goo.gl/maps/YnE9T

Seems like the cops really fell down on this one too.Evidently there was a very loud party going on all Saturday night and the cops were on the scene twice because the whole neighborhood was calling.Someone on another news outlet said they couldn't believe the party didn't get shut down because it was all teenagers and not an adult in sight.Supposedly they were all drinking and smoking weed and the cops just told them to turn the music down.All hell broke loose only about 20 minutes after the cops had been there for the second time.I don't know,maybe they sensed it was a potentially volatile situation and didn't want to precipitate a major confrontation.It's like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

None of the people who got stabbed were from the neighborhood…they were all from Wakefield.The kid who is dead lived on 243rd st.

It was a wild Saturday night in the neighborhood.A few hours before the party mayhem a pedestrian was killed after being hit by two cars on Pelham Parkway.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-29-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 11:08 AM

300 posts, read 374,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
I am in Bedford Park / Norwood / Mosholu area and yes of course price was one of the major reasons I moved there. My situation is somewhat unique so the physical location also works well for me for a number of other reasons. I assume you must have read my Bronx thread if you know I live in Bedford Park, that has the details.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Price is usually the #1 factor for anyone looking at where to live. I never claimed that Bedford Park is the best neighborhood in NYC or the Bronx is the most desirable borough on its own merits. With an unlimited budget there are plenty of better options but all that is painfully obvious. Given my situation, budget, and personal preferences, Bedford Park was the best option for me and right now I'm very happy there.
I never said you did.... I'm just saying that if it wasn't for the price, I don't believe people would be moving to the Bronx the way that they are. I'm in the neighborhood I'm in by choice, as I prefer a more suburban community, and while I could afford Manhattan, I have no desire to live there.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM

624 posts, read 982,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I never said you did.... I'm just saying that if it wasn't for the price, I don't believe people would be moving to the Bronx the way that they are.
You're not mistaken at all. Price is the number 1 reason people will start "pioneering" into the Bronx but that much should be obvious. They want the NYC experience but they cannot afford to live in the prime locations. It's the same reason why people who can't afford Williamsburg / BK Heights / Park Slope compromise and move to Bushwick and Bed Stuy. Now people are talking about Brownsville and ENY which blows my mind. Those areas are much worse than anywhere in the Bronx.

The good news is that once enough people start moving in, the QoL will improve. But with that so will the prices..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I'm in the neighborhood I'm in by choice, as I prefer a more suburban community, and while I could afford Manhattan, I have no desire to live there.
Some like the city, some like the burbs. Its just a personal preference. I'm a city person myself and that's also another reason I choose west Bronx over east. It has a more urban feel.

Since I choose the city lifestyle, I have to make compromises. City living is extreme in many degrees and its not for everyone. Technically I could afford to live in a better neighborhood but I choose not to. I'd rather live in the Bronx and have money to enjoy my life, save, and build wealth. The alternative is living in a fancier neighborhood and being trapped in my too expensive tiny closet cockroach apartment, starting out the window at all the amenities I cannot afford to enjoy.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
So the best areas in the Bronx are northwest (In the direction of Riverdale, Woodlawn, Spuyten Duyvil, Kingsbridge, Van Cortlandt Village, ect) and southeast (In the direction of Pelham Gardens, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Parkchester, Throggs Neck, Pelham Parkway, ect) ?

Of course the neighborhood doesn't have to be wealthy. It can count areas that aren't too bad and has potential.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
So the best areas in the Bronx are northwest (In the direction of Riverdale, Woodlawn, Spuyten Duyvil, Kingsbridge, Van Cortlandt Village, ect) and southeast (In the direction of Pelham Gardens, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Parkchester, Throggs Neck, Pelham Parkway, ect) ?

Of course the neighborhood doesn't have to be wealthy. It can count areas that aren't too bad and has potential.
I wouldn't get too giddy and start walking around through the Bronx as if it's eh ok to do so. There are pockets that are great and A LOT of NOT SO GOOD neighborhoods! For example you could be fine walking in Woodlawn, then take 233rd street east and walk up the hill and be in a complete ghetto.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yes,it's a pretty nice block with a couple of co op buildings. It's not the best in the area but the buildings are pretty nice and the block is well taken care of.

This is the building where it happened:http://goo.gl/maps/YnE9T

Seems like the cops really fell down on this one too.Evidently there was a very loud party going on all Saturday night and the cops were on the scene twice because the whole neighborhood was calling.Someone on another news outlet said they couldn't believe the party didn't get shut down because it was all teenagers and not an adult in sight.Supposedly they were all drinking and smoking weed and the cops just told them to turn the music down.All hell broke loose only about 20 minutes after the cops had been there for the second time.I don't know,maybe they sensed it was a potentially volatile situation and didn't want to precipitate a major confrontation.It's like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

None of the people who got stabbed were from the neighborhood…they were all from Wakefield.The kid who is dead lived on 243rd st.

It was a wild Saturday night in the neighborhood.A few hours before the party mayhem a pedestrian was killed after being hit by two cars on Pelham Parkway.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the coppers. I would expect a hand off approach from them.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the coppers. I would expect a hand off approach from them.
No,I'm not blaming them.There is plenty of blame elsewhere,like the parents of the dead kid and the parents of whoever's birthday party it was or whoever is on the lease…..and probably the landlord too,who is obviously letting the wrong kind of people into the building. Like I said ,I know the cops are damned when they do and damned when they don't. I understand the complexities under which they operate. As a law abiding citizen though ,I just regret that they didn't have the ability to shut the whole scene down before it got so out of control.Probably because of other recent incidents around the city , they took the hands off approach.

Looks like they will get the perp soon at least.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:51 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,I'm not blaming them.There is plenty of blame elsewhere,like the parents of the dead kid and the parents of whoever's birthday party it was or whoever is on the lease…..and probably the landlord too,who is obviously letting the wrong kind of people into the building. Like I said ,I know the cops are damned when they do and damned when they don't. I understand the complexities under which they operate. As a law abiding citizen though ,I just regret that they didn't have the ability to shut the whole scene down before it got so out of control.Probably because of other recent incidents around the city , they took the hands off approach.

Looks like they will get the perp soon at least.
Your 100% correct.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:18 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
The only person to blame is the individual who did the crime.
Blaming others for what someone else does is just crazy talk.

You blame the parents and the landlord, so you should blame your
parents and your landlord for saying what you said and doing what
you did and thinking how you think.

See how silly that sounds?

Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 PM

What does the landlord have to do with people causing problems coming from other neighborhoods? There isn't anything that the landlord can do about that, not unless bluedog thinks that some how the landlord could screen better for ghetto tenants? If so what criteria would a landlord use? Higher credit scores? Higher income levels? Lower debt to income ratios?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City