Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 09:58 PM

457 posts, read 736,802 times

Advertisements

At that point when someone makes that kind of money, they really don't need a helping hand anymore.

You'd truly make Obama proud at that salary range.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 PM

163 posts, read 271,162 times
Conclusion from all that, for me personally, by my best interpretation:

Basically I could potentially sign a 2-year lease next month, and the day after move-in I could accept a job that pays a median income and my boyfriend could move in and join the lease (note to self: find boyfriend). I will never be forced to move, I'd still pay $640 for the full two years, and in 2017 our rent MIGHT go up to $959 (plus rent stabilization % increase) at the worst.

I read on in the guidelines and the only thing I can't do is MOVE units once I am making over 140% of my bracket. Which brings up a new question...can anyone get onto a sort of intra-HPS transfer waitlist once they are a resident? I know a lot of people took less than ideal arrangements just to have a unit, but would rather have more bathrooms/a view/more bedrooms, etc...

Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
At that point when someone makes that kind of money, they really don't need a helping hand anymore.

You'd truly make Obama proud at that salary range.
At which salary range? 140% of my current income limit ($29,400 max for studio) is $41,160. It's of the income limit, not of AMI.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 PM

10 posts, read 14,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
My interview was July 31...when do you think it's appropriate to bug my agent about progress?

Mine was exactly one week ago. I have already contacted her still waiting for a reply though.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:53 PM

101 posts, read 159,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
Thanks for sharing, ridiculous view!

Anyone know how utilities work in these buildings, since the climate control units are two in one (heating and cooling), does that mean that we're using electricity for both and hence will be paying for both, or is heating separate and won't incur additional charges?
I was told by someone who saw my pictures that it looks like I'll be seeing a thousand dollar electric bill in the winter because of the window unit, I told them that the heat and cooking gas is included in the rent according to the lottery. He said they lied to you. I'm hoping they are wrong and that it's not the case.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:14 AM

101 posts, read 159,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICCAT View Post
You made the right choice. You could have been waiting years before a one bedroom opens up at HPS in your income bracket. I find moving in first I made better furniture decisions and really knew what worked instead of buying before the move.

In your studio with the walk in closet do you also have the smaller linen closet.
These are photos of my walk-in closet, I have no other closet. Sorry they are not that great.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-20150811_162708.jpg   Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-20150811_162656.jpg  

Old 08-20-2015, 12:53 AM

It is strange for them to say heating is included when it's actually part of the electric bill via that unit. So unless they are further subsidizing the electric bill? You know, our rent prices technically do have a utility allowance subtracted, meaning they'd be almost $100 higher without the built-in utility subsidy. I wonder if that's how they consider heating being "included"? Usually it's included cuz it's a radiator.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 AM

76 posts, read 127,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
It is strange for them to say heating is included when it's actually part of the electric bill via that unit. So unless they are further subsidizing the electric bill? You know, our rent prices technically do have a utility allowance subtracted, meaning they'd be almost $100 higher without the built-in utility subsidy. I wonder if that's how they consider heating being "included"? Usually it's included cuz it's a radiator.
So I looked into the heat thing. From the IslandAire website (the maker of our A/C heater combos), I found a model that looks like ours and it says "The GS model utilizes gas heat to create high efficiency warmth for your home." If that's the case, it makes sense why the lease would say "heat included" because our gas is included. I'm piecing information together, so I obviously don't know for sure, but that's how I'd interpret it.

You can see it here:

http://islandaire.com/ptac/product/ezgs/?

Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 AM

457 posts, read 736,802 times
Heat and gas is free, but since you have a new AC/heat unit built.into the wall and not the old NYC traditional heaters where you turn the knob, the heat is basically electric since it's electric powered. Expect a cheap con ed bill in March, April, September and October only.

Now if you would only channel that energy you used in doing your research to landing a job that pays 6 figures, you'd be all set for life.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:14 AM

9 posts, read 14,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
So I looked into the heat thing. From the IslandAire website (the maker of our A/C heater combos), I found a model that looks like ours and it says "The GS model utilizes gas heat to create high efficiency warmth for your home." If that's the case, it makes sense why the lease would say "heat included" because our gas is included. I'm piecing information together, so I obviously don't know for sure, but that's how I'd interpret it.

You can see it here:

Islandaire Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners (PTAC) | EZ Series GS
Mystery solved! Good work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery