Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 02:03 PM

357 posts, read 654,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyknit View Post
Hi everyone,

Been lurking on this thread for a VERY long time, and I'm so grateful for the information you've shared. So now, I'd like to return the favor and share some information now that I've signed my lease and have moved in!

So the basics: low income applicant, log #: 44,070, CB preference

May 4, 2015: Received an email from Related requesting I make an appointment to meet with a coordinator to submit my documents.

May 12, 2015: Went to Related office in Chelsea and submitted all paperwork (income tax, paystubs, etc.)

June 17: Was out of the country and arrived this date. Checked my voicemail and found 2 messages from a Related leasing agent, asking if I was interested in seeing a unit they were considering offering me.

June 18: Went in and viewed the studio apartment they had in mind for me. I said I was interested and to proceed with the application. Agent said that he needed some paperwork to be approved and that he would call me to schedule an appt if I moved onto the next stage (i.e., city approval).

June 25: Went in to sign the final documents for city approval. Was told that I would have to wait anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks.

August 7: Got a call (about a month and a half later!) stating that I was completely approved and to come in and sign the lease. They gave me a move-in date of August 16.

August 10: Went in to sign the lease. Could pick up the keys on August 15.

August 15: Picked up the keys to my shiny new studio.

August 16: Started to move in some things, but have needed to buy some more things that will fit my size/layout.

Overall, it was a pretty smooth experience (excepting that 1.5 month wait).

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear. Patience is most definitely a virtue in this case.
Congrats and thank you for sharing. Glad to hear that people of all income ranges are being awarded units on high floors. There are people in this forum who are under the impression that their "high-middle" income is what got them a certain apartment. Welcome to HPS!

Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 PM

50 posts, read 68,012 times
how do people deal with their landlords when their lease is due to be signed and you're still waiting here? Why won't they tell you what the current log is in your category so you can make a decent judgement?? Being told mid- July I'm approved and I should be able to pick apt in week, and now told they don't know whether they'll have anything available in my preference but I have "good" chance with my number in non preference group. I feel like I'm being played with.i need to know then what number they are up to for middle or moderate income one bedrooms so I can judge. Why should that be a secret?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:41 PM

457 posts, read 735,042 times
It's just ridiculous. The entire process.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:47 PM

218 posts, read 471,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
Was told this would happen sometime in November
Thank you!

Old 08-21-2015, 02:56 PM

46 posts, read 70,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
Congrats and thank you for sharing. Glad to hear that people of all income ranges are being awarded units on high floors. There are people in this forum who are under the impression that their "high-middle" income is what got them a certain apartment. Welcome to HPS!
Actually that's exactly how it works. It's a 66/33 split, meaning, by law the building is not allowed to lump all the lower income tenants into the bottom or less desirable areas of the building, so 66% will be in those areas and the lucky 33% will be mixed into the "better" parts of the building.

Doubt you'll meet any upper moderate income folks on the lower floors facing the back of the building or for that matter, any lower income folks with private terraces.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM

163 posts, read 270,317 times
Quote:
Actually that's exactly how it works. It's a 66/33 split, meaning, by law the building is not allowed to lump all the lower income tenants into the bottom or less desirable areas of the building, so 66% will be in those areas and the lucky 33% will be mixed into the "better" parts of the building.

Doubt you'll meet any upper moderate income folks on the lower floors facing the back of the building or for that matter, any lower income folks with private terraces.
Interesting, I didn't know about that! Maybe 33% of the terraces go to low income?

ALSO something just occurred to me...did they segregate even for the application process? I'm wondering, did the middle income people have all their meetings in that main Related office with the scale models of the buildings? And did all the low income people have to go all the way down that long hallway into that dungeon where cubicles go to die? :P I just assumed everyone's meetings were in that weird separate office, but maybe not?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:16 PM

110 posts, read 217,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileenandherbie View Post
how do people deal with their landlords when their lease is due to be signed and you're still waiting here? Why won't they tell you what the current log is in your category so you can make a decent judgement?? Being told mid- July I'm approved and I should be able to pick apt in week, and now told they don't know whether they'll have anything available in my preference but I have "good" chance with my number in non preference group. I feel like I'm being played with.i need to know then what number they are up to for middle or moderate income one bedrooms so I can judge. Why should that be a secret?
I'm mid-income and have a log # of about 14K, no preferences. I qualify for any of the studios or a 1br in that range. I'm hoping to be offered a place as soon as tomorrow. What is your log #?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 14,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyknit View Post
I'm on the 21st floor; the view is awesome!
What is your square footage?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:35 PM

142 posts, read 198,226 times
Quote:
When I met with my agent, it was made very clear that each income level had a specific pool of apartments designated to them. And why not? That makes sense, because folks that are paying the highest amount of the moderate income bracket should get the best units, since they are saving the least compared to market rate units.

It bugles my mind how anyone in the low income bracket can complain about anything, and even those in lower or higher brackets of moderate income. You're not happy with something? Then just don't move in, and leave the apartment to someone who will be grateful for the opportunity to be there.
I think the few people in the lower income bracket are thankful but are a little surprised when they first walk into the studios that are 280-300 sq ft. It becomes a real challenge once below 375 sq ft for anyone to live.

I'm sure having to buy new furniture to fit is a burden financially. I live in 500 sq ft and to go down 150-200 sq ft would be a challenge as well. Most people are buying new furniture these days due to bed bugs.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 PM

50 posts, read 68,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyDNYC View Post
I'm mid-income and have a log # of about 14K, no preferences. I qualify for any of the studios or a 1br in that range. I'm hoping to be offered a place as soon as tomorrow. What is your log #?
22000 municipal preference..I hope tomorrow you get an apt..middle income, I bedroom. My one week to choose hasn't come in 6 weeks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery