Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 05:34 PM

200 posts, read 374,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edl1572 View Post
Just a quick update for anyone who may be in a similar situation. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to get someone at HPS to explain to me why I received a rejection letter for not sending in all my necessary documents. I tried to point out that I, in fact, did send all requested documents, but all they could tell me is that I have to go through the appeal process. I finally gave in and submitted my appeal, only to be told that due to the high number of applicants appealing their cases, it could take up to 2 months to hear back from them. Given the sheer number of applicants, I don't think I'll have much of a chance 2 months from now. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement, especially since I did everything correctly to begin with. If anyone has any experience with the appeal process, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you.

The fact that there are so many people appealing goes to show there is something wrong with their logic.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 PM

170 posts, read 315,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
We were given floor plans of units available and shown only a model apartment that had a different layout and shown only for the purposes of finishes, etc. so yes, we signed only based on floor plans.
Just chiming in to say I had the same experience.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:15 PM

44 posts, read 243,914 times
question, i have an interview for low income housing in the bronx. i have nycha preference because im on their waiting list. it was extremely hard to get in contact with my employer hr dept being that its in another state. i work from home. i was able to get a verification of income letter, have all my pay stubs, bank statements showing direct deposits. will they request any more income verification? my fear is trying to get in contact with my job will hold up the process even longer.
thanks

Old 04-27-2015, 07:43 AM

63 posts, read 110,593 times
I am feeling a bit discouraged now.
Yesterday I heard back from a friend who went to her interview on Sunday April 19th. Twelve days after I went to mine. They are a couple who have a kid that doesn't always live with them. On Wednesday April 22 they got an email with an offer of an apartment. They declined the first two options they were mailed. The first one they didn't like because it had only one bathroom (they want two) The second one they declined because they didn't like the layout and finally the third one they accepted, yesterday. So it took them exactly ONE WEEK between interview and apartment selection. I cannot understand how some people are still waiting to hear back from Related (including myself) and others get this speedy treatment. (They have CB preference and the move in date is October 1st. I don't know which building)

Any news from anybody here in the forum?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 34,719 times
BrandNewCitizen111, don't get discouraged yet.

I went in yesterday to sign my lease. The whole process was less than a month for them to notify me that I was selected (4/6), check my materials and sign a lease on an apartment (4/26) for a move-in date of May 22. It was terrible timing for me, but very fast. At least the waiting and not knowing is over. But, I think it depends on a whole lot of different factors including your income, preferences, what type of unit you want, what units are available, your personal credit history, etc. Also, the rep that signed the lease with me said that there was a huge allotment for CB preference in these buildings. You should hang in there if you're still waiting to hear back. Have a couple of plans in your pocket so that if they call you tomorrow for a May move-in you know what you need to do!

I wasn't overly thrilled about either of the units I was offered, and I asked about the availability of other units and he said that which units you get offered has a lot to do with your income and other things that all go into some "algorithm". Then they put you in line based on your log number, etc. In the end, I don't think any of these apartments are going to be a bad deal. And he said once you are in, you can put in a request to transfer to a different unit if one becomes available. Also, I signed a 2 year lease because he said there would be such a long waitlist for these apartments it would be no problem at all to find someone to assign the lease to in the event that I needed to move.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:00 PM

101 posts, read 159,457 times
I have a log# of 155 and I have not been called or emailed. I lost all hope when my ex (the man kicking me out of his house after 18 years) said his friend who works in the MTA and makes triple my salary got an apt already. To say that I am depressed is an understatement. I earn 32k a year but have no preferences and in one year still have not found an apt to rent, and have to be out by the end of May. I don't have kids or pets, never been to housing court and my credit score is over 750. At this point I'm starting to think it's who you know in these lotteries.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM

Hi Divina50 - if your income is 32K you will notice in the qualifications for these buildings at HPS that that income for a one person household isn't covered. It looks like you either have to make under $30K or over $55K. It doesn't seem fair at all, but that's probably why you didn't get called.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 PM

101 posts, read 159,457 times
Yes, perhaps that is why. Still, I have entered 17 lotteries so far, we will see.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 PM

63 posts, read 110,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarvelon View Post
BrandNewCitizen111, don't get discouraged yet.

I went in yesterday to sign my lease. The whole process was less than a month for them to notify me that I was selected (4/6), check my materials and sign a lease on an apartment (4/26) for a move-in date of May 22. It was terrible timing for me, but very fast. At least the waiting and not knowing is over. But, I think it depends on a whole lot of different factors including your income, preferences, what type of unit you want, what units are available, your personal credit history, etc. Also, the rep that signed the lease with me said that there was a huge allotment for CB preference in these buildings. You should hang in there if you're still waiting to hear back. Have a couple of plans in your pocket so that if they call you tomorrow for a May move-in you know what you need to do!

I wasn't overly thrilled about either of the units I was offered, and I asked about the availability of other units and he said that which units you get offered has a lot to do with your income and other things that all go into some "algorithm". Then they put you in line based on your log number, etc. In the end, I don't think any of these apartments are going to be a bad deal. And he said once you are in, you can put in a request to transfer to a different unit if one becomes available. Also, I signed a 2 year lease because he said there would be such a long waitlist for these apartments it would be no problem at all to find someone to assign the lease to in the event that I needed to move.
Thank you mmarvelon!

I was contacted on 03/27 and went to my interview on 04/07. Sent in all additional paperwork on 04/13. I spoke to my housing coordinator today and she said she was currently working on the file of applicants with lower log numbers than me. But you are right, it all depends on the income bracket you fall into. I was just very impressed, after reading so many complaints about rentsafe, that this couple, friends of mine, had been approved in two days. What about all the verification letters they are supposed to send out? I had affidavits to sign, they contacted my previous residences for the past 3 years, I mean, this takes TIME. And I wish I were able to sign something for May or June. I have to move out of the current place soon, probably before June 1st. I have to bunk with other friends while this process continues because I can't sign a lease now just to break it in a few months.

But I hear you. Patience has never been one of my virtues, so I have a really hard time not knowing where I will be living in the next few months.

***sigh***

Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM

I was in the same situation, BrandNewCitizen111! I couldn't get an answer out of the HPS people and I needed somewhere to live in May. So I signed a lease for May 1. Now I have another lease I have to find someone to take over, which is a pain, but I think it will be worth it in the end. And I have someplace to sleep for 3 weeks in May!

I think that perhaps I got approved quickly because I've had the same job for 12 years and had been in my last apartment 5 years and so my paperwork was not very complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery