Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:02 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times

Advertisements

They should connect the L and 3 trains at Janius/Livonia to allow ease of transfer.

Any trickle of gentrification will come from either Bed-Stuy (A train) or Bushwick/Ridgewood (L/J train), not Crown Heights due to a barrier called Brownsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 05:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Funny thing is that poverty is growing in big cities. Poor people are not moving out. Unless if you want to call the middle class poor . It's the middle class who are moving out of NYC.
I can only see it growing if the city continues to provide free or subsidized housing. If the middle class are leaving due to costs of living issues, the working and lower classes would definitely would.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Funny thing is that poverty is growing in big cities. Poor people are not moving out. Unless if you want to call the middle class poor . It's the middle class who are moving out of NYC.
Absolutely not true. Many poor people move out, and to tell you the truth many people who claim middle class status are poor. If they could afford to live in safe, nice areas these people would not be leaving (or if they can afford even the hood).

Because sadly, a rental voucher in the hood by government programs can be $1100 or more, depending on the family size. But Section 8 is closed to new applicants, so minimum wage people not already on Section 8 or in the projects cannot rent a place. So many leave.

Oh, and the number of buildings in the city taking Section 8 and other programs has dropped here big time. Look at all the threads here with people on government programs having extreme difficulty finding housing. So those poor people with family or friend connections that will accomodate them are leaving in big numbers.

Also, many poor people leave if they can because staying here in the hood means raising kids that become criminals and end up getting locked up or dead. So some parents want to save their children.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Absolutely not true. Many poor people move out, and to tell you the truth many people who claim middle class status are poor. If they could afford to live in safe, nice areas these people would not be leaving (or if they can afford even the hood).

Because sadly, a rental voucher in the hood by government programs can be $1100 or more, depending on the family size. But Section 8 is closed to new applicants, so minimum wage people not already on Section 8 or in the projects cannot rent a place. So many leave.

Oh, and the number of buildings in the city taking Section 8 and other programs has dropped here big time. Look at all the threads here with people on government programs having extreme difficulty finding housing. So those poor people with family or friend connections that will accomodate them are leaving in big numbers.

Also, many poor people leave if they can because staying here in the hood means raising kids that become criminals and end up getting locked up or dead. So some parents want to save their children.
If plenty of poor move out of Nyc how come the poverty rate has not declined yet but continue to rise rise in this city? You're ivy league educated! Let's see if you can answer my question?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

People move out for reasons other than financial. Like for peace and quiet, reduced crime, sanity.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
You're ivy league educated! Let's see if you can answer my question?
There is a big disconnection with that comes along with that top tier education.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:01 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They should connect the L and 3 trains at Janius/Livonia to allow ease of transfer.
Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Any trickle of gentrification will come from either Bed-Stuy (A train) or Bushwick/Ridgewood (L/J train), not Crown Heights due to a barrier called Brownsville.
"A train" rides through Northern CH/Southern Bed-Stuy, once you reach North Central Bkln. So, I don't quite see your distinction there about the "A" advantage.

If Brownsville's a "barrier" it bumps into Flatbush, more than CH.

Bushwick/Ridgewood L/J reach Midtown Manhattan best; but to work in Lower Manhattan, the 3 and 4(express) bring in quickly from Crown Heights, stopping in downtown Brooklyn first.

All that said, the real hope is for Downtown Brooklyn to employ ENY residents, shorter commute than to Manhattan, for same types of office/retail/service jobs. Time will tell, I guess.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-22-2014 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
All that said, the real hope is for Downtown Brooklyn to employ ENY residents, shorter commute than to Manhattan, for same types of office/retail/service jobs. Time will tell, I guess.
You also have Williamsburg and Jamaica Center with further potential to develop as other alternatives for locations of employment.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:52 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,107 times
Listen... I live within " NYC" limits... 25 minutes from midtown. Make about 55K a year. Pay 12% of my income in rent. I enjoy riding the train to new parts of the city " Not all who wander are lost" . I enjoy savoring the many ethnic eateries in our great city and so much on my list to still try. I enjoy the hustle and bustle of living in the greatest city in the world. I every month splurge on a shopping trip to get either sneakers , jacket or some T's ( I prefer Soho or Urban Outfitters and the BX for sneakers). I always go out and have a drink and enjoy good music. .... I am also not struggling and am very greatful for this. Some might see my finances and think " he's poor" ... this is all relative.

Of course I'm not going to say where I work or where I live.... just know that its all about your mentality and sanity in a city that is obsessed with money. I Will NOT get caught up in these income wars because most of you all seem miserable ...whats the money good for if you are miserable.

All I am saying is forget about prices and the new hot condo in Brooklyn... just EAT , LOVE & PRAY ... Life is beautiful enjoy it ... because when its all said and done ..> THIS IS YOUR LIFE... NOW in THE PRESENT

Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Yeah, compare that to the Bronx which has already hit rock bottom and can only improve.
I agree. There's a lot of upside for the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City