Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:28 PM

15,794 posts, read 14,402,286 times

Advertisements

This is true. The LL will have to go to court and get an eviction. That process can take several months.

However, once he's taken to housing court, his records will be in the system for an eviction. This information is collected and sold by companies used by landlords for tenant screening purposes. This will make renting another apartment exponentially harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
An apartment is an apartment. Just because it is in a 2 family home doesn't mean there aren't laws that apply to the LL.

He can give you 30 days' notice. That doesn't mean you have to be out in 30 days'. Do a search for a new place. If you can't find one in 30 days', just pay the next month's rent and get a receipt. Tell them you have been looking but haven't been able to find a place yet and you will continue to look. He cannot put you out on the street without an eviction order from the court --- and that can take many months to get, especially if you are paying rent.

I can't believe this wasn't discussed or told to you guys before the sale. That would have been the decent thing to do. The new owners knew they wouldn't want tenants and they should have told that to the seller so the seller could have told you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 12:28 PM

13 posts, read 21,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
You are renting part of someone's house without a lease... why would anyone think they have a right to stay indefinitely?

Too much entitlement going on here. Even if you can fight it and drag it out, why would you want to put the new owners through that? Do they not have rights?
The question was is there a way to get more time? Who wants to stay somewhere they aren't wanted? Of course we don't want to burden anyone, but finding a new place to live is sometimes difficult in nyc, especially if your taking care of someone elderly. Location, transportation, adjustments, etc... if we would've known from the time the sale contract got signed we couldn't stay then that would have been fair and enough time.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,033,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunaqnz View Post
The question was is there a way to get more time? Who wants to stay somewhere they aren't wanted? Of course we don't want to burden anyone, but finding a new place to live is sometimes difficult in nyc, especially if your taking care of someone elderly. Location, transportation, adjustments, etc... if we would've known from the time the sale contract got signed we couldn't stay then that would have been fair and enough time.
You need to speak to the new owners...

Old 10-04-2014, 12:33 PM

555 posts, read 613,969 times
Quote:
I would just talk to them, most people are reasonable. I wouldn't get courts involved here as that will just make the situation extremely uncomfortable and you have no legal ground to stay

Old 10-04-2014, 12:40 PM

15,794 posts, read 14,402,286 times
The new owners bought the house for their own use. Maybe they'd give the OP's dad a month or two. But they want the apartment back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
You need to speak to the new owners...

Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 PM

19,106 posts, read 16,937,593 times
Quote:
The previous owner sold the house under the condition that the tenants stay. Which is why this is a huge surpirse to me. i thought maybe they would raise the rent a few...not tell us to vacat.
The buyer did allow you to stay after the sale you said "The day after we paid our first months rent they left a letter under our door stating that they have relatives coming and will want us vacated in one month'

Nothing is in writing and if the buyer allowed you to stay 1 day after the sale then they didn't lie. As others said speak with the owner secure a reasonable window of time and start looking.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:24 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,033,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The new owners bought the house for their own use. Maybe they'd give the OP's dad a month or two. But they want the apartment back.
Yes but in regards to getting more time, OP needs to speak to them.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,707,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is true. The LL will have to go to court and get an eviction. That process can take several months.

However, once he's taken to housing court, his records will be in the system for an eviction. This information is collected and sold by companies used by landlords for tenant screening purposes. This will make renting another apartment exponentially harder.

True but I'm not telling him to wait to get evicted. I was responding to the imbecile who said his property will be "on the street" and they will be locked out once the 30th day hits.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:08 PM

257 posts, read 682,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
You are renting part of someone's house without a lease... why would anyone think they have a right to stay indefinitely?

Too much entitlement going on here. Even if you can fight it and drag it out, why would you want to put the new owners through that? Do they not have rights?
Because for better or worse that's what the law is. The owners should have done their homework on the tenant situation and realized that they could be getting into a sticky situation. They had the right to walk away from the sale. Now they have tenants which may or may not want to cooperate with them - trouble.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,000,432 times
Quote:
I live in Queens with my dad who is 76 and retired. We have lived in a 2nd Floor apartment of a 2 family house in Queens for about 25 years now. I help him pay the rent as well as other expenses. The landord sold the house and now the new owners have moved in. The day after we paid our first months rent they left a letter under our door stating that they have relatives coming and will want us vacated in one month.

Is there anything we can do as far as getting more time? It seems one month is not enough time. I am not worried about myself as I can always crash with a friend until I find somewhere to live. Are there any laws that protect evicting senior citizens from homes, like my dad?
Dial 311 and ask for a place called HOMEBASED.

They should be able to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City