Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:33 PM

199 posts, read 518,985 times

Advertisements

Good job for someone looking for a career.
http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf_exams/5606.pdf
https://erecruit.mtabsc.info/psc/ERP...ENU.HRS_CE.GBL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 09:08 PM

20 posts, read 129,075 times
Any current B&T officers out there on this forum who could shed some light on how the job is?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Thanks for the application.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:45 PM

199 posts, read 518,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Thanks for the application.
No problem. I took this test a few years back, passed the test but ultimately tuned it down. I was offered a job with Local 3 elevators at the same time as I was being called for B&T O. Local 3 had a higher starting pay and with 2 kids I went with the money. Hindsight I should have taken this. After 9/11 the economy slowed people were slowly getting laid off, so I took the Sanitation test and was called for DSNY. I have friends working as a B&T O, they like it. I would of have around 14-15 years on if I would have taken the job. I kind of regret not taking it but I love working for the DSNY. Filling for DSNY exam 5001 is open till the 31st of October. Defiantly apply for both.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:25 PM

5,116 posts, read 4,964,964 times
"The current minimum salary for Bridge and Tunnel Officers is $34,903 per annum increasing to $41,062 after eleven weeks of training. Incumbents will receive salary increments, reaching $65,037 per annum after completion of five years of employment........"

I think all those smart kids interested in non-marketable skills such as art/history/social work should consider trying for this job first so by the time they turn 23, or around graduation time, they will make a decent living not to mention all the benefits coming along, instead of finishing a 4-yr money draining college education and stay unemployable and live with parents with no social/health insurance.

In a way this kind of low-skilled jobs pays overly well at the cost of tax payers contributions and the exhaustion of the maintenance funds for the MTA facilities/services.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 AM

172 posts, read 590,007 times
Hey I've been a Bridge and Tunnel Officer for about 10 years and the job has it's Pros and Cons like any other job.. I'll try and give a quick rundown

most ppl driving thru the bridges and tunnels of NYC see us out there and have no idea what we actually do... I often hear the question "are you guys cops or toll collecters? Well the answer is that we're both and more. This job is a unique combo of many jobs. You Will take tolls at some point, make arrest, write summonses,vehicle patrols of the bridges and property near your facility, checkpoints.We also enforce Ez pass rules. Direct Traffic. Tow cars, drive snow plows and shovel snow! To me this is one of the strengths of the job because if you want to be supercop then you can go on arrest but if you just want to hide out in a toll lane or tow cars you can do that too. There's something for everyone.

Another pro is the money. There's plenty of overtime but some facilities have seemingly unlimited ot, while others have next to none. It depends. But the money is there if you want it. 1 con is also the ot. There is a lot of forced overtime, 4 or 8 hours past your tour. The Mta will own you!

Another con is the weak, bloated, petty, bumbling civilian management that oversees the officers. It's the MTA - nuff said. The exist to make a decent job miserable. Another con is with tech advances in Ez pass, will they need officers here in 10 years? Who knows? There is already 1 all ez pass, no officer bridge at the Henry Hudson. Will there be more? Anyway if you're a cop buff stay away. Join nypd, you won't get glory or save the world here. But if you don't mind locking up drunk drivers or taking tolls or playing in traffic lol and make decent money doing it then sign up!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 AM

154 posts, read 361,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
Hey I've been a Bridge and Tunnel Officer for about 10 years and the job has it's Pros and Cons like any other job.. I'll try and give a quick rundown

most ppl driving thru the bridges and tunnels of NYC see us out there and have no idea what we actually do... I often hear the question "are you guys cops or toll collecters? Well the answer is that we're both and more. This job is a unique combo of many jobs. You Will take tolls at some point, make arrest, write summonses,vehicle patrols of the bridges and property near your facility, checkpoints.We also enforce Ez pass rules. Direct Traffic. Tow cars, drive snow plows and shovel snow! To me this is one of the strengths of the job because if you want to be supercop then you can go on arrest but if you just want to hide out in a toll lane or tow cars you can do that too. There's something for everyone.

Another pro is the money. There's plenty of overtime but some facilities have seemingly unlimited ot, while others have next to none. It depends. But the money is there if you want it. 1 con is also the ot. There is a lot of forced overtime, 4 or 8 hours past your tour. The Mta will own you!

Another con is the weak, bloated, petty, bumbling civilian management that oversees the officers. It's the MTA - nuff said. The exist to make a decent job miserable. Another con is with tech advances in Ez pass, will they need officers here in 10 years? Who knows? There is already 1 all ez pass, no officer bridge at the Henry Hudson. Will there be more? Anyway if you're a cop buff stay away. Join nypd, you won't get glory or save the world here. But if you don't mind locking up drunk drivers or taking tolls or playing in traffic lol and make decent money doing it then sign up!
Why did you have to make an arrest and how often? that seems like a tough part of the job to me

Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,544,666 times
I think i'm going to apply - I missed the last test - at one point i was a temp BTO worked every tour and got mandated for OT of course nothing near the real deal BUT I got an inside look at how things really run in there and how some SGT's were lazy and some were plain ol NASTY (attitude wise) - Like any other job you have the bad apples and you gotta watch your back with those that are miserable.
I got to know alot of real cool and good BTO's and learned ALOT from them. I always saw myself doing this job long term, everyday is different!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 24,589 times
my question is I AM city employee my time and pay will go with me if I become a BTO?

Old 10-21-2014, 02:22 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,684 times
Is anyone else having a hard time paying the app fee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City