Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 05:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,369 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I have been reading this forum for a while now and taught I would get opinions on a few things.

Myself and my fiancé are currently weighing up the options of coming to New York for a couple of years not long after we are married (2016) if I am lucky enough to get a green card. She has duel citizenship and I would not move to the states illegally. We are currently in Ireland.

We both love New York and it is actually where I met her originally so it would be our first option to come back. I am currently working in a law firm and she has a degree in fashion design.
She used to live in Brooklyn and I lived with her for a few months and I have been coming to New York for about 5 years now so I would know the different areas well enough.

Obviously it is going to be a few years before a move is made but I would like to start saving right away if we decide on a move.

My first option would be to move to Brooklyn but as the recent trends are going it seems Greenpoint, Williamsburg etc. would be seriously expensive. How is the future looking price wise in areas like Bushwick and Bed-Stuy? Any other good upcoming areas? I don’t mind where I am living within reason but just would prefer a commute within an hour to the city and just be close to a few bars, gym etc.

I know it’s hard to gauge but what does everyone think it will be like in a couple of years in New York? Is it worth even planning for it? Is it hard to get into a law firm/bank in New York?

Any ideas/feedback welcome I know it’s probably a bit early to ask but I like to have a plan!

Our other option would be to move to Florida where she is from but I don’t really want to think about that option at the moment because we have friends in New York and I believe work opportunities are better and I don’t want to have to drive everywhere all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:39 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If your finance is an American citizen, then you shouldn't have problems getting a green card eventually.

You mention working for a law firm. Well if you have foreign law degree, it will not be usable in the USA. So you might want to consider getting some retraining in another field.

In order for anyone to give you a reply about possible living options one would need to know what your housing budget would be at the time that you actually plan on moving here.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 AM

4 posts, read 4,369 times
Yes she is an American citizen. We are most likely going to apply for one straight away when we are married but I really have no idea how long the process takes. Possibly a year after applying?

I don't have a law degree I am working in the debt collections department. I think my best option is probably wait to see if I could get employed in a bank. I do have a few friends in banks in Midtown at the moment so I might be able to get some help that way. Otherwise I will retrain if needs be.

I would say roughly speaking budget would be at around 2k give or take for a 1 bedroom apartment. As I said areas like Greenpoint will probably be out of reach in a few years but in areas like Bushwick rent will maybe be at where Greenpoint was a year or two ago. I am trying to gauge how quickly rents are rising.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Currently for 2k one can get a one bedroom apt. in a few good areas in Queens with reasonable commutes to Midtown Manhattan. I would assume the same situation to be true in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: