Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Just avoid taking pictures with the charachters like Elmo in Times Square!
What's the deal w/ Elmo-like characters???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:45 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
What's the deal w/ Elmo-like characters???
do a search here. It has been discussed about the ongoing issues with Elmo & friends here.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
do a search here. It has been discussed about the ongoing issues with Elmo & friends here.
Wow! Who'd have thought Elmo would go down the Wrong Path? Whenever I'm in NYC I avoid Time Square like the plague - used to be turned off by all the advertising (could never see why it was regarded as attraction rather than visual blight). Now I have another reason to bypass.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson123 View Post
hi guys, i did post this in the new york section but figure i should post in the New york CITY section too so apologies if your seeing what you believe is a duplicate post ..just a few q's with regards to advice on my stay. not overly decided where to stay yet. but almost sure its gona be midtown. tryna do this on a budget . im quite street savvy and can look after myself however are there certain parts of manhattan which i should avoid with regards to muggings etc?. i intend on seeing as much of manhattan and a little of jersey across the hudson as i can in my four whole days there. (and a days travel either side from uk) so im guessin the subway is quickest way to get around? whats price of a day ticket or thereabouts? is subway relatively safe if you keep yourself to yourself? (as in most places in the world). is travelling on subway relatively safe in manhattan as oppose to subway in some of the rougher areas outside manhattan? also looking for an area with a few bars where i can have a few drinks and listen to some music where i can be relatively safe walking around in the evening. any areas particularly good for this? thanks in advance
I live in the Washington DC area and go to visit New York City often. In the past, I have stayed in Secaucus and North Bergen in the Meadowlands area of New Jersey. You can get some excellent hotel values there with skyline views and they're very close to midtown Manhattan.

As for Manhattan itself, I wouldn't worry about a thing. It is quite safe. I recommend that you take the Gray Line bus tour (or definitely check out the stops):

Gray Line New York Sightseeing Tours, Cruises & Attractions

Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I live in the Washington DC area and go to visit New York City often. In the past, I have stayed in Secaucus and North Bergen in the Meadowlands area of New Jersey. You can get some excellent hotel values there with skyline views and they're very close to midtown Manhattan.
how would tourists get to manhattan? NJT can be pricey. Cabs back & forth is very pricey. Also many trains & bus doesn't run all night to many places in NJ.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
how would tourists get to manhattan? NJT can be pricey. Cabs back & forth is very pricey. Also many trains & bus doesn't run all night to many places in NJ.
That's a good point. Some hotels in New Jersey have shuttle service to Manhattan. I usually drive to and park free at the hotel. I guess it's easier for me to stay in New Jersey since I'm coming up through the state anyway. OTOH, if someone is coming from JFK airport, it would probably be easier to stay somewhere like Long Island City.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 AM

26 posts, read 32,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's a good point. Some hotels in New Jersey have shuttle service to Manhattan. I usually drive to and park free at the hotel. I guess it's easier for me to stay in New Jersey since I'm coming up through the state anyway. OTOH, if someone is coming from JFK airport, it would probably be easier to stay somewhere like Long Island City.
im almost certain it will be Newark i fly into

Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
If you want to stay in NNJ, it is easier to stay near the PATH in Jersey City, or across the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee. You can avoid long treks on NJTransit, but with Fort Lee, you have to transition to the 1 subway to get anywhere, and it can be slow as it is a local line. And, you need a hotel with a shuttle bus, or one that is on the NJTransit bus line as the stops are short before reaching the bridge to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal in Manhattan, where you would then get the 1 train at Columbia.

LIC offers less hassle, especially if the rates are similar to those you find in New Jersey, although it will take longer to get to/from Newark Airport. You can take a bus to Manhattan, if you do not have a large amount of luggage, and then transfer to the subway to LIC. It's inexpensive, with round-trip being less than half the cab fare from Newark, but if you have large amounts of luggage, it may be too much of a hassle.

Olympia Trails | Newark Airport Express

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM

26 posts, read 32,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you want to stay in NNJ, it is easier to stay near the PATH in Jersey City, or across the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee. You can avoid long treks on NJTransit, but with Fort Lee, you have to transition to the 1 subway to get anywhere, and it can be slow as it is a local line. And, you need a hotel with a shuttle bus, or one that is on the NJTransit bus line as the stops are short before reaching the bridge to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal in Manhattan, where you would then get the 1 train at Columbia.

LIC offers less hassle, especially if the rates are similar to those you find in New Jersey, although it will take longer to get to/from Newark Airport. You can take a bus to Manhattan, if you do not have a large amount of luggage, and then transfer to the subway to LIC. It's inexpensive, with round-trip being less than half the cab fare from Newark, but if you have large amounts of luggage, it may be too much of a hassle.

Olympia Trails | Newark Airport Express
travelling light. with just one bag... ive always like the idea of staying in NJ and going back and forth to Manhattan altho as you might think i want as easier life as possible thats why midtown seemed ideal becuase ill literally be in the heart of the city... i want to be able to wake up early and start each day around 5pm out on the streets and have quick access to all points of the city. id done some research about transport from newark and a lot was mentioned on there of travel to penn street station near madison square garden.. when it comes to where i lay my head im none too fussed. just basic requirements of it being clean will do. im not bothered about noise too much so the sound of traffic is not a problem. a lot of the time i find a decent hotel but when i check the reviews 8 times outta ten the reviews will let it down. another thing im consious of is being ripped off with hotel prices when booking over here in the uk.....

Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson123 View Post
im almost certain it will be Newark i fly into
Then I recommend staying in New Jersey, since it's much easier to do than dealing with the traffic of New York City to get to your hotel on the other side of Manhattan.

This is what I do: choose a Meadowlands hotel that is near Rte 3. That route connects straight to midtown Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel. If you want to do the Gray Line bus tour, then go to the Port Authority bus terminal located at the intersection of 42nd street and 8th avenue. That area is just one block from Times Square.

I use sites like kayak.com or hotels.com to find places to stay. Once you find a hotel you like, call them up and ask what kinds of amenities and services they offer so you'll know exactly what you're getting before you book with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City