Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM

203 posts, read 191,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Report the sexual verbal assaults to the police and hire a financial planner (You can afford it).
The police won't do anything about verbal assaults, unless they witness it, and chances are most guys are not going to harass a woman right in front of the police.

Also hiring a financial planner won't help, because there's just no way of getting around the exorbitant housing costs in NYC, unless one gets a room-mate. However, most adults who are over the age of 29 are uninterested in that type of living arrangement, (especially if they have the means to live w/out a room-mate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
If I was working 80hrs a week I would have like 0 hours to spend money not to mention being too tired.
I think it's a fact of life for many people, who often have to work two jobs, but working that sort of schedule ultimately leads to many negative health outcomes. Also, as you pointed out, the person will have little time to do much of anything...

Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I consider leaving at times. I make 90K a year but feel poor. My rent is obscene, this is in Rego Park, Queens btw. I know I'm most likely never going to make more than 130-150K IF I am even that lucky. I contribute very little to my retirement because I simply don't have it. After paying rent, groceries and health care costs I am lucky to go out even a few times a month. I work more than I should for what I have. Like 80 hours a week. Which is why I haven't posted recently. I go home every night exhausted and lately have been wondering what's the point in staying? The men have been terrible as well. Abused in my last relationship as well as cheated on. He literally told me I was lucky he even dated me and that he was doing me a favor giving me the time of day. Men of previous generations did not talk to women this way I don't think. I know because I talked to my grandmother about it and she said she had never heard of something so awful and vulgar. I am also verbally harassed in the streets by similar such men on a routine basis irregardless of how I dress. Telling me how fun it would be to try and get me pregnant. That I look like I'd be an 'awesome f**k'. That my butt is magical. This does not happen in other parts of the country I have lived, nor is it acceptable in any way.
I also live in Rego Park and only make 50ks....rent is not obscene in the area...it is pretty average... $1400 for a 1 bedroom is the average rate here. I also have money put away into my pension since I'm a city employee and have $560 monthly child support as well as $200 monthly for a car. ..granted I have savings to work with. ...not sure how you can possibly feel poor making $90k.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I also live in Rego Park and only make 50ks....rent is not obscene in the area...it is pretty average... $1400 for a 1 bedroom is the average rate here. I also have money put away into my pension. ..granted I have savings to work with. ...not sure how you can possibly feel poor making $90k.
Perhaps she has student loans to pay back. Also, averages are often meaningless. What is the median rental price for apartments in Rego park...

Old 11-19-2014, 08:12 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
I also live in Rego Park and only make 50ks....rent is not obscene in the area...it is pretty average... $1400 for a 1 bedroom is the average rate here. I also have money put away into my pension since I'm a city employee and have $560 monthly child support as well as $200 monthly for a car. ..granted I have savings to work with. ...not sure how you can possibly feel poor making $90k.
I totally agree with you. Obviously a large amount of her money is going somewhere other than rent, but it's non of our business whether she divulge on the details. Having no money as a single person making 90k living in Rego Park doesn't sound reasonable for someone with modest spending habits.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
Perhaps she has student loans to pay back. Also, averages are often meaningless. What is the median rental price for apartments in Rego park...
Didn't find any figure from googling...but average 1 bedroom is $1700-1800k. Rent has gone up since the new malls have been built in the area, but even that figure is not obscene as she put it considering (especially for someone making $40k a year more that what I make) what the rest of the rental market is like in nyc.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Didn't find any figure from googling...but average 1 bedroom is $1700-1800k. Rent has gone up since the new malls have been built in the area, but even that figure is not obscene as she put it considering (especially for someone making $40k a year more that what I make) what the rest of the rental market is like in nyc.
But factor in taxes. A single person making 90K w/out dependents and sizable deductions will pay a lot of money in taxes. Also, as I pointed out, we don't know whether she has student loans...

Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
It's probably not because she has poor money management skills. Let's just be honest, NYC life is very expensive, there's just no way around it.

And 80 hours a week is just too much time to spend at work. I'm not sure of her skills and education, but there are other less expensive thriving cities that offer a better quality of life.
At 90K and single, it's not that expensive. It all comes down to money management skills. If she is living beyond her means, etc.. Also, she might be joking.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34300733-post58.html

I made almost 100K last year and live in a studio in the outer boroughs. Most of my money goes into a ROTH IRA, savings for purchasing property, and global stocks with a diversified portfolio. In 20 years these things will be worth something to me. A ritzy apartment I had back in the day will mean practically nothing. I allow myself a few luxuries in the form of an annual vacation, a few bags, etc. But the really essential things I stay frugal on, for good reason.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
But factor in taxes. A single person making 90K w/out dependents and sizable deductions will pay a lot of money in taxes. Also, as I pointed out, we don't know whether she has student loans...
We all pay taxes, she pays 3% more for anything over $89350 she makes. Like i said I make $40k less than her...i also have monthly fixed costs of $760 going towards my car and child support. $1800 for a 1 bedroom is not obscene...rent is high all over nyc...even the shady areas.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I make 90K a year but feel poor. I contribute very little to my retirement because I simply don't have it. After paying rent, groceries and health care costs I am lucky to go out even a few times a month. I

You have poor money management skills...
Health care is expensive though....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City