Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 10:54 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I don't think one can say that NYC is universally a bad or good choice for everyone -- even in certain socio-economic classes. Yet over and over again people seem to be implying that.

Everyone agrees NYC has changed over the past decade or two. I admit the city has lost some character, but overall I'd say it has overwhelmingly changed for the better. It's simply exciting to live in a city that's going through a boom rather than the financial bust it couldn't shake for decades.

That being said, there are some other lovely places to live and if you've got a family or need a change than you could be much happier somewhere else. Go where you are in the best position and the most happy but don't pretend that your situation applies to everyone.
I agree with you here. The city has changed in the past two decades. Don't get me wrong it has changed for the better and its character is replaced by women who dress like San Franciscans and talk like Socal Valley girls who say like and yah ten times in the same sentence like if they came straight out of a West Coast sitcom. But overall this city lost much of its flare and its not coming back if ever. Also the city has become too competitive. I know of people who used to tell me that back in the 90s their used to be postings on the wall for jobs and boom they got hired for 50k a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You are truly irrational if you think cheating on your wife solely or mostly occurs in NYC. And it has nothing to do with men of my generation, it has to do with what men (and SOME WOMEN) have always DONE.

Historically, many men have had mistresses and illegitimate kids, everywhere. It's been documented in the historical record, and this includes heads of state. What do you think Bill Clinton did with Monica, Paula, Jennifer and those other women? This was in Arkansaw and DC. Look at all the other politicians who get exposed with affairs or illegitimate children. All the entertainers who sleep with this one and that one. But this is hardly just the rich and famous. Look at those people from middle america going on Maury Povich to have dna tests because the woman has slept with two or more men and isn't sure who the father is. Cheating is not just something males do, so spare me the outraged woman attitude.

Sexually transmitted diseases are all around the world, and how do you think they are SPREAD? I don't think it's by having one partner your whole life. Divorce occurs all around the world as well. And don't go into ancedotes, there's statistical evidence.
You forgot Arnold Shawrtznegger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergrl227 View Post
I spent 9 years of my life in NYC - moved back home to Denver on 7/28/14 and honestly could not be beyond happier. The decision was not an easy one for me - I moved there at age 19 for a special opportunity at a private university, graduated with no debt, built my career there and was making about 130K when I left. I had essentially "made it" by NYC standards. But life continued to be a struggle - almost every day I was stretched the emotional and mental limit. Everything was a "hassle" - from doing laundry, getting groceries, even getting the damn landlord on the phone. Don't forget hurricane sandy when my apt lost power, heat and hot water for 8 days straight. When my ex and I finally lost it on day #7 we ended up shelling out 600$ for the cheapest hotel room available just to take a shower. I could go on and on...

You can look back at my posts from a year ago seeking advice on how to appropriately "exterminate" my roach and mice infested 300 square foot ****hole on 308 east 71st street (yeah I gave the address - and I don't care if you give a damn or not - these slumlords should be ashamed of themselves). I finally had it when I found out my ******* husband was seeing multiple women behind by back and was basically just using me for my paycheck (another reason NYC just plain sucks, especially for young single women).. My life now is beyond great! Live in a beautiful home, got a great job with about 80% less stress, met some great friends, go bike riding through the canyon on warm days. I no longer have the privilege of getting woken up out of a sound sleep on an almost nightly basis while my upstairs neighbors decide to have yet another blowout where one threatens the other with a knife. I had a steak dinner with my mom last night WITH drinks totaling less than 30$ for the total bill. I'm sure with time the bitterness and the ache I have will fade and I'll remember the good times, but for now my deteste is not misplaced.

So yeah - in a nutshell - I'd say NYC just plain SUCKS
Lol this is epic. Your ex Husband sounds like an very desirable guy? Rule of thumb for when in your in NYC. I know a woman who settled down with a very desirable guy in the looks department and it was none stop constant cheating on his part, she left him for a more unattractive guy, but she was not happy to be with him even though this 1 did not cheat. If you don't want a cheating husband make she he is not desirable by other women especially here in NY. A good looking man here in NY will pull more women than a guy who is unattractive and a millionaire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:11 PM

169 posts, read 489,902 times
OMFG you people!!!! NYC is not JUST Manhattan.

I bought myself a cute tiny condo at the height of the market in Queens....so today, it would be alot cheaper. I also managed to buy TWO new cars (financed)..one for daily driving and one for the weekend as well as go out to eat once in awhile and put a few bucks aside.

All of this on my union BLUE collar job!!! Okay, okay..all you white collar posters on here look down your noses on construction workers.

But I have NEVER had any student debt..full medical/dental...401k...really nice pension and oh yeah, I am pulling in OVER a hundred grand a year!!!!

I can NOT have this type of lifestyle down south or out west in my chosen field. And not to brag, but you people need to listen to yourselves.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM

36 posts, read 58,800 times
Quote:
Poor choices is an extrene understatement! $600 for a hotel room a night just to take a shower?

I don't even believe ANYONE could be that stupid. If I knew a friend of mine had no running water due to a hurricane, I would gladly let them come to my place to shower.

And FEMA was actually paying for hotel rooms at that night. Not sure why she didn't contact FEMA.

Even if she didn't want to go that route and wanted to do a short term rental, Airbnb and craigslist have many rooms available FAR before $600 a night.
Dude stop with your nasty insults. In case you haven't noticed - you are the only one attacking everyone on this thread - which was meant for people to share openly and honestly their experiences of living in and leaving NYC. I'm simply sharing my story and you are the only one with a problem with it. If you want to gloat about how "amazing" the city is and how "stupid" people are that left - go to a different thread.

To answer your question - no I did not bother contacting FEMA for the money because I did not need it - I did not think a person making 130k deserved to have FEMA pay 600$ for my hotel room when so many other people needed that money so badly. FEMA was up to their eyeballs with money needed for damages. What pissed me off what the hotels were charging so abhorrent rates during that week only because they could. My aunts 1 million dollar home on Glen Cove did get completely destroyed - want to know how much she got from FEMA in the end?? Less than 5 grand. And you better believe she followed every procedure correctly ad nauseam. And let me guess - she's stupid too correct?

Last edited by summergrl227; 10-15-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post

I bought myself a cute tiny condo at the height of the market in Queens....so today, it would be alot cheaper. I also managed to buy TWO new cars (financed)..one for daily driving and one for the weekend as well as go out to eat once in awhile and put a few bucks aside.

All of this on my union BLUE collar job!!! Okay, okay..all you white collar posters on here look down your noses on construction workers.

But I have NEVER had any student debt..full medical/dental...401k...really nice pension and oh yeah, I am pulling in OVER a hundred grand a year!!!!

I can NOT have this type of lifestyle down south or out west in my chosen field. And not to brag, but you people need to listen to yourselves.
What?? You cant be serious......Of course you could afford that lifestyle or better yet even more in any city between NYC and LA.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:48 PM

615 posts, read 448,342 times
NYC is great when you're young and single, and also when you're very old.
But iffy for those ages in between, and when raising a family.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:32 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
IBut overall this city lost much of its flare and its not coming back if ever.
Flare comes from being your own place. It's not coming back in NYC or anywhere. Cities today are more and more generic and less and less being about a sense of place. Sense of place comes from being local and we don't do local anymore. More and more homogenized. NYC is not immune to this and it is happening today.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:25 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
You're just putting out propaganda at this point, dude. Unfortunately City Data is full of propagandists.

You clearly have never looked for a job anywhere.

In much of the country, there's a huge percentage of the country living in mobile homes, or partially decayed housing. Anywhere you go you get what you pay for and if your income is low, so will you living standards. People on McDonald/WalMart wages don't live well unless they are living with family or inherited their houses.

Last I checked, again medical care is not for FREE in the South or West, so there's the issue of whether your job pays benefits. Retirement benefits may be important to those not wanting to face homelessness in old age.

You even have people on welfare outside of NYC (gasp).
You're an idiot if you think a huge percentage of the country lives in poverty (by alluding to mobile homes).

22% of NYC lives in poverty and that's not adjusting for COL; how about them apples? The US is the wealthiest country in the world and that's not because a huge percentage lives in poverty.

There are F500 and large privately held corporations all over the US.
Yes, for Media, Art, Marketing, and FIRE, NYC has the best variety. Do you know what type of jobs are also abundant in NYC? Low wage, service sector jobs.

The largest privately and publicly held corporations aren't in NYC.

Fortune 500 2013 - Fortune ........ LOOK AT THE ADDRESSES.

In the Top 30, NYC has 3 companies; JPM, Citi, and Verizon. As I said, you're not too bright if you believe that a huge percentage of the country live in poverty. Furthermore, if you take large Private Corp's into account, NYC has 2, JPM and Verizon in the top 30.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 10-18-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post

You're an outlier. My father was a union blue collar worker. NYC is basically the last bastion of construction unions and in the last few years the union contracts for new hires are way less lucrative. Don't get me wrong, they're still great for blue collar work but the old days are gone for newer hires. Also, be mindful of the fact that most construction workers' careers are in the 20-25 year range. Your body just can't handle much more.

You guys are another reason NYC is so expensive. City contracts are just LOL. My father was a union construction worker for 24 years. The amount of waste and fraud in city contracts is unreal as is the amount of middle men who take their cut for doing nothing. Add to this the amount of waste regarding city workers payroll and we start to get a picture of why this city is the way it is.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergrl227 View Post
Dude stop with your nasty insults. In case you haven't noticed - you are the only one attacking everyone on this thread - which was meant for people to share openly and honestly their experiences of living in and leaving NYC. I'm simply sharing my story and you are the only one with a problem with it. If you want to gloat about how "amazing" the city is and how "stupid" people are that left - go to a different thread.

To answer your question - no I did not bother contacting FEMA for the money because I did not need it - I did not think a person making 130k deserved to have FEMA pay 600$ for my hotel room when so many other people needed that money so badly. FEMA was up to their eyeballs with money needed for damages. What pissed me off what the hotels were charging so abhorrent rates during that week only because they could. My aunts 1 million dollar home on Glen Cove did get completely destroyed - want to know how much she got from FEMA in the end?? Less than 5 grand. And you better believe she followed every procedure correctly ad nauseam. And let me guess - she's stupid too correct?
You presented your own personal situation, the fact that you were foolish enough to do certain things, including pay $600 a night just to take a hot shower, as a representation of NYC lifestyle.

But all that shows is that you had no FRIENDS who would let you come over and take a shower. You also could have rented a room far more cheaply on Airbnb or Craigslist.

I'm sorry, you just had very poor coping skills and made extremely poor decisions, if you're even telling the truth and not trolling.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
You presented your own personal situation, the fact that you were foolish enough to do certain things, including pay $600 a night just to take a hot shower, as a representation of NYC lifestyle.

But all that shows is that you had no FRIENDS who would let you come over and take a shower. You also could have rented a room far more cheaply on Airbnb or Craigslist.

I'm sorry, you just had very poor coping skills and made extremely poor decisions, if you're even telling the truth and not trolling.
To the OP: It is patently clear that this poster is simply jealous. Don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City