Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:01 AM

126 posts, read 156,736 times

Advertisements

I moved here three weeks ago and don't really have any friends.
I'm always unsure because I think people don't wanna talk, but I tried it for the first time in the subway today and actually met someone, so I'm asking you, New Yorkers: is that "don't bother me" face real or are you actually dying to talk to someone if you're, for example, sitting at the park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 03:53 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
meetup.com

Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I think NYers are wary of striking up conversations with strangers due to the sense that anyone could be a criminal in such a large city.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I might strike up a conversation in the subway with someone sitting there quietly riding for a while, but I would definitely have my guard up on the street, where I have been approached too many times to count from someone who wanted to sell me something, scam me, or ask me for money.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM

577 posts, read 669,608 times
Best way to strike up conversation in the street is to ask a question like "do you know how to get to such and such" or "do you have the time". If you start with "Hi how are you, do you like sports?" people will think you're a fruitcake. I made a good friend in a new town (and as a result, his friends) just from asking when the next bus was due.

Chatting to people at bars is a better idea. There are plenty of people who go and sit at a bar on their own and are more than happy to speak to someone new (plus alcohol makes most people friendlier anyway).

Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswastedlife View Post
I moved here three weeks ago and don't really have any friends.
I'm always unsure because I think people don't wanna talk, but I tried it for the first time in the subway today and actually met someone, so I'm asking you, New Yorkers: is that "don't bother me" face real or are you actually dying to talk to someone if you're, for example, sitting at the park?
If you catch someone here in the right context and environment it's actually pretty easy to strike up a convo and people are actually friendly and chatty. That's the key though, if someone is busy and short for time don't bother them or you will likely get a short or even rude response.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Best way to strike up conversation in the street is to ask a question like "do you know how to get to such and such" or "do you have the time".
"Do you have the time" is too old-fashioned to be believable. Everyone has a cellphone these days and shouldn't have to ask. If I get asked "do you have the time" I either say that I don't, or I say, "It's around 2 pm" or whatever time (since I usually have a pretty good sense of what time it is without having to look at my phone). I surely don't pause for conversation or take out my phone to look.

But I get your overall point. I think many conversations start with a common experience, like not being able to understand the garbled announcements on the train.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
They will think you're thirsty or needy in some way
and look at you crazy like you have 3 heads.
That's why women don't speak anymore in public,
for the most part.

The internet and cell phone killed any chance of
public socialization we had left as a human race.

Some say headphones over humans. Another words,
no one wants to be bothered by random strangers.

It's a cold world.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
for the most part.
What exactly is it that you are saying changed that resulted in women not speaking in public anymore? How and when did you observe that women don't speak in public? This is one of the strangest comments I've seen.

Unless you mean that you're trying to speak to women who are out and about and they don't reply, but back in the day they used to. In which case...maybe it's because you got old?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:18 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
They will think you're thirsty or needy in some way
and look at you crazy like you have 3 heads.
for the most part.

The internet and cell phone killed any chance of
public socialization we had left as a human race.

Some say headphones over humans. Another words,
no one wants to be bothered by random strangers.

It's a cold world.
co-sign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: