Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think you're becoming confused, KK.

There's nothing Pollyannaish about what I said. If there's an outbreak there will be an outbreak means there's nothing that we can do on this internet forum to stop an outbreak if one were to occur. In short it's pointless to weep and wail about events not within your power to control.

But 3 people in the US getting Ebola is not an outbreak, it's not even a statistic. If more people get it, it will be dealt with as it happens.

And again, you have redefined SILLY ASSES POLLYANNAS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not realistic. Because West Africans can still fly to other countries and people from those countries can fly into the US.

The nature of the way business is conducted around the world means we have a highly mobile populace.
You can do some temporary restrictions involving visas.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
My cat has ebola. What should i do?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Intresting.Forget quarantines.Looks like Australia has decided to institute a complete travel ban from all Ebola affected countries,despite all the "evidence". It will be interesting to see if any other Western "1st world" countries do the same.

Australia bans travel from Ebola-hit countries; U.S. isolates troops | Reuters

Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Intresting.Forget quarantines.Looks like Australia has decided to institute a complete travel ban from all Ebola affected countries,despite all the "evidence". It will be interesting to see if any other Western "1st world" countries do the same.

Australia bans travel from Ebola-hit countries; U.S. isolates troops | Reuters
That's not how I read it. What I read it that Australia has a travel ban against the citizens of ebola affected countries. So if you're not a citizen of one of those countries, it seems you could still travel into Australia.

This might explain it better:

The Australian government announced on Monday that it was cancelling non-permanent or temporary visas held by people from the affected countries who were not yet travelling, and that new visa applications would not be processed.

BBC News - Ebola outbreak: Sierra Leone angry at Australia visa ban

Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And again, you have redefined SILLY ASSES POLLYANNAS.
You're getting irrational and showing that you are incapable of discourse on the issue, since all you can do is resort to name calling and since you cannot be bothered to even consider any evidence that contradicts your fears.

There are always new diseases breaking out. In recent years it's been SARS, Swine Flu (I got that, but I'm still here), and now Ebola. Big deal. There will be more in the future. But we have doctors, and oh, the nurse who had Ebola in Texas (Amber) has recovered. Other people with Ebola with proper treatment have lived as well.

This is FACTUAL.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
ebola outbreak in america has not even started yet, what is the point of doing the death counts now? it is way too early to dismiss the threat of ebloa. if we can draw any conclusion for now, it is that ebola is now officially here and waiting to attack whenever it is ready.

It's a virus. Don't make it what it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
BAN West African flights and people from coming in. Racist ? I hope not.
Are there even any flights that come directly to the US from Africa? Or rather, that part of Africa? And what's to stop someone from flying from West Africa into, say, France, and then flying here. We haven't and most likely will not be banning all flights from France anytime soon.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:40 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Interesting.The CDC is finally admitting that you could become infected with Ebola from the sneezing of someone or even from touching a doorknob….just like any other virus.This after assuring everyone from the beginning that it is not "airborne."

CDC admits droplets from a sneeze could spread Ebola | New York Post

As long as the CDC keeps handling this whole thing the way they have been,the paranoia and panic will continue.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Took the CDC long enough to admit the truth.

And yes, the more lies the CDC tries to spread about the disease, the less they will be believed.

Ebola IS an airborne disease and anyone with common sense has known this from the very beginning.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
The CDC didn't "admit" anything. Read the article. The Post is just making things up as usual.

We don't have much experience with Ebola in the West. All of the medical literature going back to the 70s suggests it isn't airborne the way a cold or flu is. If that's part of some kind of government conspiracy, they've been setting it up for a very long time, with the help of the entire medical and scientific establishment everywhere.

I'll change my tune quickly if there's ever a single Ebola case in the U.S. in a person who hasn't been in close contact with another Ebola patient. But it's not gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City