Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 PM

5,041 posts, read 4,916,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
One thing I recently read is that the viral load increases dramatically just before death, and it is only at that point that the patient's sweat becomes a transmitter for the virus. So if he carried her just before she died, it may be the sweat that did it.

The difference between the pregnant woman and Duncan as patients transmitting the virus is that when Duncan's viral load spiked, he was being cared for in a hospital and his family members presumably weren't touching him.

Anyway, this is just what I have gleaned from recent reading. Mostly I have more questions than answers.
I figured so too, and if this is indeed the case, ebola will have limited spreading in the US.
Then again, it mutates very fast. Even if it is well controlled this time, the risk of more outbreaks in future is likely, as it has been the case in africa. Hopefully more money will be spent on researching for drugs on ebola and by then it will be of less concern. Nevertheless, once the virus has made its way here, it is going to stay for good for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,195,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Henna, if this gets bad in NYC, you coming down to south beach with me?

Hands off, buddy. I've long ago agreed to protect her when the zombie apocalypse hits...

Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,059,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Hands off, buddy. I've long ago agreed to protect her when the zombie apocalypse hits...
Better choose a place with a cooler climate than Florida. I hate the heat and humidity

Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 PM

8,085 posts, read 6,708,039 times
Quote:
Better choose a place with a cooler climate than Florida. I hate the heat and humidity
Henna honey, I have room for you in the Blue Ridge mountains. Do you know how to cook?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,195,683 times
Quote:
Yeah see, I already knew that. This joey fella is out if his element.

We'll be taking refuge in my fully stocked, New England cottage. The leaves are beautiful right now. Was just up there checking the generators.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 PM

424 posts, read 970,987 times
Quote:
We'll be taking refuge in my fully stocked, New England cottage.
Rural New England during the fall, that sounds nice. Of course the Caribbean is always nice when the weather gets cold also.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,318,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Based on limited information, ebola is not extremely stable outside the host. But our knowegde about this virus is far too limited to serve as solid guidelunes in dealing with this virus therefore the highest level of precaution is often applied to avoid any regrets later.

what puzzles me is that duncan was said to get ebola from a brief contact with a pregnant woman. but his texas girl friend and other of his relatives who came in close touch with him were not affected at all, but two nurses are. Now let's wait and see how spencer's fiancee turns out. If she is fine after 21 days, maybe this virus is not that contagious unless during very late peak stages. If this is the case, there is not too much to worry about. the problem is that we have no clue about how this virus behaves in the US. So far it seems to be controllable but before we are obsolutely sure, do all you can to protect yourself.
Quote:
One thing I recently read is that the viral load increases dramatically just before death, and it is only at that point that the patient's sweat becomes a transmitter for the virus. So if he carried her just before she died, it may be the sweat that did it.

The difference between the pregnant woman and Duncan as patients transmitting the virus is that when Duncan's viral load spiked, he was being cared for in a hospital and his family members presumably weren't touching him.

Anyway, this is just what I have gleaned from recent reading. Mostly I have more questions than answers.
I must say I am surprised by the logical reasoning going on here since in earlier threads there was much more "lock yourself inside!!! The ebolapocalypse is coming!!!" from you two.

Anyway, it's unfortunate that he contracted ebola but I'm still not worried about it becoming any type of epidemic in the US.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,144,208 times
And Doctors Without Borders was recently crowing about how none of their people ever got infected. Oops.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 PM

5,041 posts, read 4,916,923 times
Quote:
Yeah see, I already knew that. This joey fella is out if his element.

We'll be taking refuge in my fully stocked, New England cottage. The leaves are beautiful right now. Was just up there checking the generators.
Sounds sweet. may invite marilyn, if she will, to come along...

Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,144,208 times
Glad I'm on a business trip now. If anyone's got it from the subway by Monday, I am working from home forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City