Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:38 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,022 times

Advertisements

Just came back from a 7 week trip to sunny Southern California. No need for AC or Heat at bedtime so I slept like a baby.

Came in yesterday on a redeye flight and went right to bed at 7am...nice and cozy. Took little naps all day and felt great. SUDDENLY 10pm came along and I started noticing a breeze in my apartment. HEAT IS NOW OFF. An urgent reminder as to why I want to get the F out of NYC.

Anyways let the misery begin. I might just change my sleeping schedule to bedtime at 6am and stay up working all night. I work from home.

Has anybody found a decent space heater that actually warms up a room this year or are we still chewing on chinese rejects from last year ?

I've got an old Honeywell I purchased on Ebay last year. It works a little better than my hairdryer at keeping me warm...got the military issued thermals going as well. My military issued sleeping bag system should be coming out of the closet rather soon.

You have no idea how at peace I was in SoCal. At the moment I am looking for a place down there but the No Smoking Freaks are scaring me. Hopefully I find a place....and soon or else I need to leave for another two month in Jan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 03:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Nearly all heaters operating on house current (115V) are 1500 Watts. This is 5118 BTU/hour.

Buy them for convenience, noise level, and price. A $20 unit will provide the same heat as a $200 one.
Personally I like the small ceramic units maybe 9 x 9 x 6. Easy to store away in a closet.

And you are right, they give off just about as much heat as a hair dryer.

Electric heat is very expensive so I recommend an electric blanket to get the pricey heat just where you need it.

(If you feel a breeze, try to locate and seal it.)

Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I recommend an electric blanket to get the pricey heat just where you need it.
Good Idea yet the "chinese" thing comes into play again with the electric blankets. Silly question but are there any good chinese made electric blankets around ? Most reviews on amazon read like the space heaters...no heat failed miserably worked for two weeks then broke on me etc etc.

What brand and model do you use ?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2014, 03:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Electric blankets are not what they once were. It has to do with all the uber-safety requirements that result in a breakdown of the heating wires and you keep getting less and less heat. Used to be regular conductors and thermostats, then they developed thermostatic wire whose resistance increased with heat, unfortunately resistance increase with age as well.

Here's my story for a GOOD one. I bought two from SEARS many years ago and they came with a 10 year warranty. Both failed in the Ninth year, the last within months of expiration.
SEARS gave me two new blankets.
So, if you buy an electric blanket, make sure it is a well-known brand with an ironclad warranty.

Alternative is a couple microfiber blankets, cheap at Target or my old secret, shhhh, the gas stove.

Of course I now live in a place with way, way too much heat...you can't win.

But be warned, space heaters are very, very expensive to run at Con Ed rates.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-24-2014 at 03:59 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 05:11 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I have a silk blanket/comforter that I bought in China and it is really terrific for keeping me warm at night. The only problem is that my head is still cold but I sometimes use a cotton scarf for that.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:41 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,481 times
I just pick up furniture I see on the street, and burn them for heat.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Haven't a clue about space heaters as we do not require presently.

Heat is on in our building past week or so as temperatures have dipped, but we turn our steam off and open windows. It isn't *that* cold outdoors, temps are pretty much normal for autumn in NYC.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:47 PM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
After Sandy, I had to buy a couple of these for the apartment when our electricity was back on, but the heat wasn't:

https://www.google.com/search?q=comf...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Thank me later

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-26-2014, 08:31 PM

520 posts, read 600,864 times
For some reason, it seems this past week, the super is blasting the heat at night and leaving it really low/off during the day. Usually it's the reverse, no? Heat on during the day, kept low at night?

Old 10-26-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
For some reason, it seems this past week, the super is blasting the heat at night and leaving it really low/off during the day. Usually it's the reverse, no? Heat on during the day, kept low at night?
This is what pisses me off about NYC heating laws. Id prefer it this way. Cold at night never works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City