Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Go to the link and read the original article.
The entire article is quoted in the OP. Thought that violated the ToS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,647 times
Wonderful extract from your forthcoming book. Who is your literary agent, please? When will your book come out? How much advance did you get? When is your book tour?

[quote=Mistertee;37005461]In the opening scene of the 1973 movie “Serpico,” I am shot in the face—BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
[quote=urbanintllctl;37009116]Wonderful extract from your forthcoming book. Who is your literary agent, please? When will your book come out? How much advance did you get? When is your book tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
In the opening scene of the 1973 movie “Serpico,” I am shot in the face—BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I know the cops suck. Cops are pigs. Cops run around hunting men of color. 50 years from now all you cop haters will still say the same crap. All I know is that over the years I helped thousands of NY's over and over again. I am proud for what I did for the city and the people. I helped out every race. I didn't care who you were. You showed me respect and I respected you. I am no exception though. The men and women that I call my brothers and sisters did the same thing as me. I don't care what you cop haters tell me the corrupt heavy handed guys are the exception and not the rule. There is nothing I can say that will change the cop haters mind. There is also nothing that a cop hater could say that would change my mind!

This isn't about you unless you feel guilty for doing something wrong or criminal. There are many good, hardworking, law abiding cops out there but this article brings up some valid points. Good cops get lost in the system because the system wont or doesn't clean itself up. That needs to change.

Last edited by Mistertee; 10-24-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 09:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Serpico, in his delusional way, is trying to remain relevant in his waning years. Policing today is nowhere near as violent or corrupt as it was in his time. More than likely, he'd be considered corrupt by today's standards.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Serpico, in his delusional way, is trying to remain relevant in his waning years. Policing today is nowhere near as violent or corrupt as it was in his time. More than likely, he'd be considered corrupt by today's standards.

I think policing has decreased its violence and corruption but there is room for lots of improvement. However, the biggest difference that keeps the number in check somewhat is the use of technology. Cameras and other recording devices are big game changers in this era of policing.

Standards can change, but enforcement of those standards is the key issue which hasn't changed much. Serpico corrupt? Are you kidding me? That's the problem in America.... we attack the whistleblowers, take the focus off the issues that need to fixed and let the real criminals get away.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Quote:
This isn't about you unless you feel guilty for doing something wrong or criminal. There are many good hardworking law abiding cops out there but this article brings up some valid points. Good cops get lost in the system because the system wont or doesn't clean itself up. That needs to change.
I don't feel guilty about anything. I was trying to make a point. Again 50 years from people will still bring up the same bs. It is what it is. The vast majority of cops do an unbelievable job. Show me a profession that has 100% of its members that are perfect. Please show me. Do me a favor go to 30 stressful jobs day in and day out. Do that for years on end. Deal with CCRB,,IAB,,,Inspections,,,DA's ,ICO's,,Inspector General. Show me how you supposedly clean up your imaginary cesspool of corruption. There is more oversight on the NYPD than any other organization in America. Its amazing that the members go out and do any work at all!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I don't feel guilty about anything. I was trying to make a point. Again 50 years from people will still bring up the same bs. It is what it is. The vast majority of cops do an unbelievable job. Show me a profession that has 100% of its members that are perfect. Please show me. Do me a favor go to 30 stressful jobs day in and day out. Do that for years on end. Deal with CCRB,,IAB,,,Inspections,,,DA's ,ICO's,,Inspector General. Show me how you supposedly clean up your imaginary cesspool of corruption. There is more oversight on the NYPD than any other organization in America. Its amazing that the members go out and do any work at all!

There is always room for improvement and ACCOUNTABILITY. Look at how some cops tried to protect and support that RAT who squealed on IAB? Cops nowadays got it so good. Police standards have to be and should be the highest. Comparing it to other professions is not the criteria that should be used because this is one of the very few professions that deal with the safety and lives of citizens every single day.

NYPD just got its first Inspector General after considerable pushback from police unions. The Unions trying to protect the perps in force! The same reasons why they are against body cams on cops 24-7!

NYPD gets first inspector general

Imaginary cesspool of corruption? I think you need to stop being blind to the facts. There are many, many examples. Re read the article, Serpico makes some great points on how to make the police force better. Don't worry, there is a long line of new potential recruit ready to take the spots of those who don't want to work anymore. The salary and OT, pension, sick days, medical, 20yrs to retire, 60 credits of college (doesn't matter your major is and very little college debt), etc ensures a ready supply of new candidates everyday!

Last edited by Mistertee; 10-24-2014 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
He also labeled pretty much every white cop as racist from their upbringing. He's an old fool, nothing more.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Serpico ... More than likely, he'd be considered corrupt by today's standards.
God help him, if he ever asked to have a parking ticket dismissed in the Bronx!
Quote:
there is a long line of new potential recruit ready to take the spots of those who don't want to work anymore. The salary and OT, pension, sick days, medical, 20yrs to retire, 60 credits of college (doesn't matter your major is and very little college debt), etc ensures a ready supply of new candidates everyday!
Have you seen the range of current rookies? 5 foot 1, 90-pound Latinas! People who get 5 extra points on the exam for speaking a foreign language, but have difficulty with English!
More people apply to be garbagemen in NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City