Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
I agree. A masters degree is the new bachelor's degree.

The most important thing to do is NETWORK. The workplace is a similar to a high school environment.
Bingo! Repped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Heh, well I considered myself middle classed when I lived in NYC and I didn't make six figures. It's called buying your home when prices were low (thereby keeping your housing expenses low) while your income goes up. It's called being willing to commute 30-40 minutes and maximizing your dollars. Having no dependents or other encumbrances. I had disposible income, with enough to save and travel. I travelled a lot when I was younger, single, and without children.

While I live markedly better where I'm at now, life in NYC wasn't a grindhole. But NYC is losing its middle class and I can easily see why. High five figures here can support a family in a stellar school district. You get paid less but you are taxed less. I can't quite explain the differences financially at the moment other than they're compelling enough to make me say that leaving is not going to be an option anytime soon.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:12 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Heh, well I considered myself middle classed when I lived in NYC and I didn't make six figures. It's called buying your home when prices were low (thereby keeping your housing expenses low) while your income goes up. It's called being willing to commute 30-40 minutes and maximizing your dollars. Having no dependents or other encumbrances. I had disposible income, with enough to save and travel. I travelled a lot when I was younger, single, and without children.

While I live markedly better where I'm at now, life in NYC wasn't a grindhole. But NYC is losing its middle class and I can easily see why. High five figures here can support a family in a stellar school district. You get paid less but you are taxed less. I can't quite explain the differences financially at the moment other than they're compelling enough to make me say that leaving is not going to be an option anytime soon.
Very sad with what's happening to NYC. Neighborhoods once filled with large families are disappearing. Take a walk around Brooklyn's Park slope or Windsor Terrace. NYC is becoming like San Francisco. Wealth, Dinks, Gay Couples, Yuppies, and poor. Then when you do find a traditional area, The Government will try to destroy it. (Homeless Shelters, Methadone Clinic, Aids Hospice, Woman's Battered Shelter, or some sort of socialized living facility)

Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
For all the hue and cry about gentrification, NYC has never truly been friendly to the middle class in a long time. Certainly the Daily News can't truly believe the city was more middle class friendly in the 1970s and 1980s when the trains were unsafe, schools crumbling and jobs were fleeing left and right. Create a better business environment for job growth and fix the schools and we'd be alot further along.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
There is a huge surplus of immigrants here of all incomes. Don't let the stats fool you because most of these immigrants aren't even counted because they don't pay income taxes. Paying income tax is the job of the rich and middle class.

I keep seeing tons and tons of immigrants here in NYC both rich and poor ones in the city.

Unfortunately the middle class does pay a heavy burden compare to the rich usually have other incomes that are taxed at a lesser rate.

You'll find lots of CEOs here make under $100,000 but their money is all tied into stocks and capital gains is taxed at a much lower rate. How fair is that right?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 PM

118 posts, read 201,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
I agree. A masters degree is the new bachelor's degree.

The most important thing to do is NETWORK. The workplace is a similar to a high school environment.
I wish I knew that in 2009 when I graduated... Actually, no one knew that the job market was going to change so drastically in terms of hiring requirements and dickishness by those who came before us. I have yet to work full time in either of the fields I have my two degrees in (Management and Marketing) and have survived only doing retail and freelance gigs.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
For all the hue and cry about gentrification, NYC has never truly been friendly to the middle class in a long time. Certainly the Daily News can't truly believe the city was more middle class friendly in the 1970s and 1980s when the trains were unsafe, schools crumbling and jobs were fleeing left and right. Create a better business environment for job growth and fix the schools and we'd be alot further along.
I disagree respectfully. Unemployment under this presidency in The Boro of The Bronx was over 15%! A boro of mostly people of color who voted overwhelmingly for this current potus. Areas were more family and middle class. Park Slope was a middle class/ working class hood. That's now a hotbed of wealth/yuppies/transplants. I know there is gonna be disagreement with my 3/4 posters but my old hood had a higher income ratio compared to today. My question is what's middle class? Let's say a family of 4? 150K? 175k?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:59 PM

118 posts, read 201,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Very sad with what's happening to NYC. Neighborhoods once filled with large families are disappearing. Take a walk around Brooklyn's Park slope or Windsor Terrace. NYC is becoming like San Francisco. Wealth, Dinks, Gay Couples, Yuppies, and poor. Then when you do find a traditional area, The Government will try to destroy it. (Homeless Shelters, Methadone Clinic, Aids Hospice, Woman's Battered Shelter, or some sort of socialized living facility)
Unfortunately the shrinking middle class is being pushed out of any middle-class-like neighborhood and into areas and buildings that were built as tenements in the turn of the last century, to say nothing of being forced to room together.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There is a huge surplus of immigrants here of all incomes. Don't let the stats fool you because most of these immigrants aren't even counted because they don't pay income taxes. Paying income tax is the job of the rich and middle class.

I keep seeing tons and tons of immigrants here in NYC both rich and poor ones in the city.

Unfortunately the middle class does pay a heavy burden compare to the rich usually have other incomes that are taxed at a lesser rate.

You'll find lots of CEOs here make under $100,000 but their money is all tied into stocks and capital gains is taxed at a much lower rate. How fair is that right?
Very excellent post. Unfortunately , You have the left which wants zero borders. More immigrants the better. They will vote democrat so that better then watching out for Americans. Then you have a segment on the right that wants to capitalize on cheap labor. Watch who does construction work?

Old 10-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
I wish I knew that in 2009 when I graduated... Actually, no one knew that the job market was going to change so drastically in terms of hiring requirements and dickishness by those who came before us. I have yet to work full time in either of the fields I have my two degrees in (Management and Marketing) and have survived only doing retail and freelance gigs.
Yes, I agree with both of your posts. Hours will continue to shrink as corporations and small business looks to get out from the upcoming Obama care. A lot of people have seen their hours shrink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City