Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,069,260 times

Advertisements

It does seem like I've heard about a few more armed robberies in that area lately. Wonder what is up. Oxcart Tavern in Flatbush robbed- NY Daily News

http://ditmasparkcorner.com/blog/cri...bed-last-night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:42 AM

37,018 posts, read 39,083,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Surprised there wasn't some mention of a new Brooklyn. Good job, NYT?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 PM

5,044 posts, read 4,922,422 times
There is an ongoing invasion of ghetto ppl from east flatbush/ocean avenue westwards into the beautiful ditmas park nabe as I noticed in the past 2-3 years. it is a pressing issue for the DP home owners to figure out how they preserve the serenity and safety of their highly valued vic houses in the middle of the rising swamp of ghetto migrants. Any afternoon you go to the parks or public playgrounds in ditmas park, you will see a lot of low lives roaming around looking for trouble. So the flatbush avenue/ocean ave barrier has been completely broken and coney island ave has now become the new boarder for the ghetto ppl to break in the following few years.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:18 AM

5,448 posts, read 5,677,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
There is an ongoing invasion of ghetto ppl from east flatbush/ocean avenue westwards into the beautiful ditmas park nabe as I noticed in the past 2-3 years. it is a pressing issue for the DP home owners to figure out how they preserve the serenity and safety of their highly valued vic houses in the middle of the rising swamp of ghetto migrants. Any afternoon you go to the parks or public playgrounds in ditmas park, you will see a lot of low lives roaming around looking for trouble. So the flatbush avenue/ocean ave barrier has been completely broken and coney island ave has now become the new boarder for the ghetto ppl to break in the following few years.
No, the ghetto people were always there. The "flatbush avenue barrier" breaks south of Ditmas, once the jewish area buffer in between Flatbush and Ocean Ave disappears. If anything, Brooklyn College is now providing somewhat a moderating influence there now.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,069,260 times
The Times covered the new trend of robberies in business establishments in Ditmas Park. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/ny...=nyregion&_r=0

The latest one was this Thursday night, 11/13/14 at the Lark Cafe when the gunman walked in on a writers group and stole all their laptops.

Still, the article says that overall crime is down. I doubt that makes people feel any safer, though, since these robberies are so public.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM

33,845 posts, read 47,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The Times covered the new trend of robberies in business establishments in Ditmas Park. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/ny...=nyregion&_r=0

The latest one was this Thursday night, 11/13/14 at the Lark Cafe when the gunman walked in on a writers group and stole all their laptops.

Still, the article says that overall crime is down. I doubt that makes people feel any safer, though, since these robberies are so public.
Interestingly enough....Ditmas Park with its big Victorian houses was always there. Flatbush was always there too with its hood buildings. Sounds like an outlash towards the new money demographic moving in.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,032 times
Thieves who killed Brooklyn man were looking for drug money: cops - NY Daily News
He should have shipped the yardie back to Jamaica (not Queens).

Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 PM

9,242 posts, read 24,021,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Interestingly enough....Ditmas Park with its big Victorian houses was always there. Flatbush was always there too with its hood buildings. Sounds like an outlash towards the new money demographic moving in.
It will be interesting to see if these kinds of brazen heists become a trend in other areas of the city that are being hipsterized in hoody areas or on hood borders. I can think of a lot of neighborhoods where this could happen and people would get totally freaked out pretty fast,as is apparently happening in Ditmas.

I find myself weirdly fascinated at the whole modus here .....it's very unusual for NY,especially these days,but is more common in other much higher crime cities.
We might be witnessing the beginning of a significant change of atmosphere .

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-15-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 PM

33,845 posts, read 47,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It will be interesting to see if these kinds of brazen heists become a trend in other areas of the city that are being hipsterized in hoody areas or on hood borders. I can think of a lot of neighborhoods where this could happen and people would get totally freaked out pretty fast,as is apparently happening in Ditmas.

I find myself weirdly fascinated at the whole modus here .....it's very unusual for NY,especially these days,but is more common in other much higher crime cities.
We might be witnessing the beginning of a significant change of atmosphere .
Ditmas Park is special in where you can literally walk across Ocean Avenue and it's night and day

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM

9,242 posts, read 24,021,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ditmas Park is special in where you can literally walk across Ocean Avenue and it's night and day
Sounds like a perfect set up for these kinds of raids.Surprised no one thought of it earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City