Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:53 PM

49 posts, read 73,239 times

Advertisements

Hey.. I'm 19 and I want to visit NY. I'm from Cincinnati, OH and I've always admired the culture there in New York. I was looking online at apartments and the cheapest I seen for a one bedroom was like $1600 thats a 4 BR home every month here! Lol. I have a feeling that when I visit NY I am going to want to live there so I wanted to know how can you afford to live there? I know min wage is $8 (same here in OH) so how is it possible? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 01:08 PM

279 posts, read 521,274 times
Some people bunk with roommates. If you want to live in Manhattan and you are single, you need to make at least $60-70k a year just to live in a one bedroom, which would probably be in Upper Manhattan. The other option is to live in the outer boroughs, but you still need to make about what was mentioned before in order to live comfortably and in a good neighborhood. My salary range assumes that you don't have a car, and don't have student loans or massive credit card debt.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:08 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
Off of minimum wage? It's supposed to be $9/hr in NY state on Jan 1 I think so...

Roommate situation in far out or undesirable areas
Heavy roommate situation (like 2 to 3 to a room)
Housing lotteries
Projects

I did the second situation when I went to school up here and for a little bit afterwards. I also have friends who still do that and manage to drop rent to $200-500 per person (depending on who we're talking about). Personally though, it's a crappy way to live and am glad I'm done with school and working so I can afford my own place in quieter closer areas or a 1 room per person roommate situation close to work. I prefer roommates (1 per room) because I really need the social stimuli haha, but I digress.

I think if I had to make minimum wage in the area, I'd just move to Bayonne where you can make some really great splits at the expense of being strangely far from everyone. That or somewhere like Kingsbridge/Morris Park/Pelham Bay/Gravesend/Kew Gardens but that's pushing the budget.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:18 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times
A good strategy is striving to make more than minimum wage

Old 10-31-2014, 01:20 PM

49 posts, read 73,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Off of minimum wage? It's supposed to be $9/hr in NY state on Jan 1 I think so...

Roommate situation in far out or undesirable areas
Heavy roommate situation (like 2 to 3 to a room)
Housing lotteries
Projects

I did the second situation when I went to school up here and for a little bit afterwards. I also have friends who still do that and manage to drop rent to $200-500 per person (depending on who we're talking about). Personally though, it's a crappy way to live and am glad I'm done with school and working so I can afford my own place in quieter closer areas or a 1 room per person roommate situation close to work. I prefer roommates (1 per room) because I really need the social stimuli haha, but I digress.

I think if I had to make minimum wage in the area, I'd just move to Bayonne where you can make some really great splits at the expense of being strangely far from everyone. That or somewhere like Kingsbridge/Morris Park/Pelham Bay/Gravesend/Kew Gardens but that's pushing the budget.

I make 40k a year no car, no debt. I want to live in a safe quiet area but I also want to be able to experience the city. What neighborhood or borough would you suggest?

Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,910,603 times
Why not just stay in Cincinnati? It seems like a good city to me. Safe, not too overcrowded etc. NYC is overrated, and if you force yourself to live with roommates you'll get sick of it really quickly.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezygotdoe View Post
I make 40k a year no car, no debt. I want to live in a safe quiet area but I also want to be able to experience the city. What neighborhood or borough would you suggest?
You'd need a roommate, but a lot of Queens neighborhoods work as does south Brooklyn and somewhat upper Manhattan west of Broadway and for the most part north of 168th. Without a roommate you'd be stretching towards the upper end of your budget in a few of the nice areas of the Bronx and really far south Brooklyn.

You'd need to measure it based off of where your job is. If you made 40k working in Riverdale or something, then why not live in Kingsbridge/Van Cordlant Village. Where you'd work is beyond me though. I almost had a sweet deal in Sunset Park making 80k; could have lived near my Brooklyn-born friend in Gravesend for cheap and had the D express into Manhattan whenever I wanted!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezygotdoe View Post
You'll need to be able to make the same $40K here as you do there, which I guess means starting over, unless your job is transferable.

Living on 40K in NYC is definitely do-able with roommates.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:05 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Well, first of all, when you're 19, you don't rent a 1BR. You rent a studio. Or you have roommates. And you don't move here if you're setting your sights on minimum wage.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,706,735 times
You won't make it own your own in NYC earning minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City