Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 13,292 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My question is essentially, are there any academic professionals out there who can tell me if ANY colleges in the NYC area will accept an IED high school diploma?

IED diploma is Individual Education Plan diploma typically given to kids with disabilities. The long story is this...

I live in Queens and I have a family and a good career. I have a younger sister who I am trying to help. She is 27 and currently lives in a very small town in Colorado. She has no opportunities there and needs to move someplace where she can find work. She also does not have a car and she has trouble making friends. All of this combined makes me think that NYC would really be the best place for her.

She typically works in retail and restaurants although she has trouble holding those jobs sometimes. She is interested in advancing herself which is good because for many years she did not show much interest in improving her life. The problem is she has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and also has a learning disability. She is capable of learning and she is very smart but she does not do well in school.

She has a IED high school diploma and she has had trouble in the past passing the math portion of the GED. She did very well on all the other GED tests (reading, writing, history, science) but after failing the math portion several times she gave up. She is worried about going through that again. I'm encouraging her to try again to get her GED... To move to a place where she can conveniently take the GED, hold a job in retail or at a restaurant while she is doing that, and then eventually continue her education.

However, I also feel like there must be some colleges out there that will accept an IED diploma. After searching for awhile online, I'm not finding any. With this situation, I personally feel helpless. So I can imagine how helpless or discouraged she must feel. I am looking for some professional advice on the best way for my family to move forward with helping her. I am willing to help her now because as her sister I obviously want her to be able to support herself and have a fulfilling life in the long run.

Thank you so much in advance for any help or advice you think you can offer here. This is something my family has been struggling with for years and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Try the colleges that allow students without high school diplomas to start college and earn their GED and Associates Degree at the same time. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ree%20programs

Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I have to ask, would she be able to handle college level work?

If she thinks she is. I'd have her go to one of the CUNY community (two year) colleges. They're probably better able to deal with people with learning disabilities, can deal with whatever remedial classes she would need, and it would likely be cheaper than a four year college. She should get an associates, then transfer to a four year school.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 13,292 times
Thank you. I came across that option but I didn't explore it for some reason. I guess I felt that it would be hard for her. But I I will look into it because I do think that she could handle college level work, just not math, but maybe with a tutor she could. But anything is better than nothing...I think.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:22 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Many of the CUNY schools have math for liberal arts. She will have to take a math to get the degree so this class would probably be her best option.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycproblems View Post
younger sister ... is 27 and currently lives in a very small town in Colorado. She has no opportunities there and needs to move someplace where she can find work. She also does not have a car and she has trouble making friends. All of this combined makes me think that NYC would really be the best place for her.
Why would you think that someone who is struggling in a small town, would be more successful in a big city?
Quote:
I am looking for some professional advice
Free advice is worth what you are paying for it.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,923 times
Don't lose hope. I am in NYC and I am also in a similar situation with my brother. Although we are still in the process we feel hopeful. .. I suggest you get help. Never be afraid to ask questions.. Good people with good intentions don't charge for answers to questions like the ones you have. Once I find some answers.. I will be back on this post to update you. I suggest getting someone like a service coordinator to help. Programs like Yai and Vesid are extremely helpful. My brother has some learning disabilities but is extremely high functioning and does well at jobs... but he dreams of college. Our service coordinator has been helping us map out some options.. Don't lose hope.. and I applaud you for being a great older sibling. Never leave your sister's side ♡

Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,923 times
College Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City