Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM

8 posts, read 10,839 times

Advertisements

Yes near Second Avenue - Actually between York & East End. I'm afraid this is going to be a very costly lesson and, quite frankly, I'm an old dog. Haven't been in the rental market or lived in New York for 35+ years. Moved here to live with my daughter (who's only lived here 4 years). We had a double tragedy in our family at the beginning of the year which took us to our knees (Husband and son died within 5 weeks of one another). This is really not helping....Thank you all for your help. Looks like we'll be calling 311 and getting the other tenants together--I smell a revolt brewing--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 10:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriM View Post
Yes near Second Avenue - Actually between York & East End. I'm afraid this is going to be a very costly lesson and, quite frankly, I'm an old dog. Haven't been in the rental market or lived in New York for 35+ years. Moved here to live with my daughter (who's only lived here 4 years). We had a double tragedy in our family at the beginning of the year which took us to our knees (Husband and son died within 5 weeks of one another). This is really not helping....Thank you all for your help. Looks like we'll be calling 311 and getting the other tenants together--I smell a revolt brewing--
If you have enough tenants on board with you, maybe it would be worthwhile to pay for one lawyer together? I am sorry to hear about the hassles you are going through after all the personal tragedy. It's not fair, and especially not fair when you are paying so much money to live there!

Btw, the sink looks like a joke. It's more like an ashtray than a sink.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:05 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,191 times
Is the bathroom still being remodeled?

Old 11-09-2014, 04:35 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,022,525 times
You're paying $4700 a month in rent to be treated shabbily.

The landlord, realtor and property managers are LIARS.

I think you still have time to get out of your lease, if you want to.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:35 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,191 times
Marilyn220, what are her consequences going to be should she exit her lease before it expires? If she has 10 months left, that's 47K. Chances are for that kind of money, the management company might deem it worth wild to chase her down and take her to court.

Marilyn220, from your experience or from what you read is going on with the original OP, what should she do to save her life and not burn money in the process and not ruin her credit as well?

Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Keep track of everything - in writing.

Do not expect 311 calls to resolve the problems, although you should keep calling for the record.

File in housing court if you want compensation, sooner rather than later.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,771,520 times
GERRIM, check your private messages.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Gerri,

Have you noticed the garbage dump going in behind Asphalt Green? They call it a recycle center and it should have a steady stream of garbage trucks running 24-7-364 (I assume they might stop on Xmas.)

<East End Avenue is lovely, as you know.>

Did Mr. Woo ever suggest providing temporary quarters in one of his FINISHED units while he finished yours? Perhaps at least for sleeping, bathing and a closet or two?

I know hindsight is worthless but did you consider saying at day one that you would not move in or pay anything until it was finished? (I know when you time a move, any wrench in the works is a nightmare.)

Did you not realize the stupid bathroom design before you signed the lease?

Perhaps your answer is to bite the bullet and spend the next 10 months looking for something more suitable. With $4700 to toss each month, you have a lot of options.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 AM

624 posts, read 982,113 times
I would stop paying rent and get the hell out of there ASAP. Don't trust them to fix all of the problems. Even if they do, do you really want to be renting from such people?

Maybe you can sue to get your brokers fee refunded as well. The whole thing sounds like a scam. I would talk to a lawyer.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:03 AM

8 posts, read 10,839 times
Thank you all so much for your input. The tenants will be getting together this evening to discuss our options. When my daughter and I saw the apartment, we really didn't consider it "not finished". The only thing we saw not done was the 2nd bathroom and we were told not to worry. it would take 1-2 days to complete. We saw the stove sitting where it belonged in the kitchen and just assumed it was working. We did not know that there was no gas until the day we moved in! Also, the building looked almost done. I mean there were inspection certificates all over the front door of the building but many NY apartment buildings have those stickers on and people are living inside so we didn't worry. There was no broker fee, thank God, so there is not that money to recoup. We didn't know the 2nd bathroom design. the plan we saw (marketing materials) didn't show that level of detail. We assumed it would look something like the first bathroom, though we knew it would be smaller and we were aware that there would be a shower--no bath tub. I keep thinking I own this apartment and told them the design was stupid but they're not going to change out the sink--because "that's the design". They will fix the medicine cabinet because I've gone on record saying that the way it's placed (non-recessed) is a safety hazard. Their fix? the fill remove the medicine cabinet and place just the mirror flush to the wall--they have to do it this way because they can't recess it because there's a big pipe behind the area!!!
So, I sent out an email to the other tenants--we will meet tonight and decide what we want to do as a group. We're all in the same boat here--actually the family on the first floor is worse off because they promised them a duplex and they are still building it--the family is living in the other first floor apartment until it's ready--they have been here, like us, since October 1st.
Folks, it's getting cold. It took a lot of energy and money to move here. I really don't know where to go and I don't have the energy to look and move again. Unless I really have to, I want to stay. I do, however, have the energy to fit for my rights. So I will do that!! Any suggestions for a good lawyer? How does fee structure work? Do we have to pay now, or when we settle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City