Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,830 times

Advertisements

We moved into a pre-war gut renovated building on the UES on 9/30/14. We rented what was the model unit. When we saw it, it looked beautiful. The only thing that we knew was not finished was the second bathroom but the realtor told us that would be 1-2 days at most. From day 1 there have been problems. I do not think this building is ready for tenants but there are 3 apartments rented now (out of a possible 10). The first thing we found out was that there was no gas for heat or stove. We only found that out on 9/30 when we moved in. Con Ed was working on it, supposedly. Next there was no running water, then no hot water (we had to sleep in a hotel on 9/30). They got the water issues squared away. The second bathroom is still not finished. Though it has been promised for Monday (11/10). There is still no heat. They have provided us with 3 space heaters and 1 hot plate. Also a 3-week pass to a local gym where we can shower when the water situation precludes us taking a shower (that has happened twice). The couple on the first floor rented a duplex which is not ready and they are living in the next door apartment. Workmen are still building the duplex--I hear the jackhammering all day. They promised the duplex to the tenants by Thursday but I don't think that's going to happen given their track record. They have given us a 30% rent abatement for November (which I argued for--they didn't want to give anything) and $300 towards December's rent in case we want to stay in a hotel--it will be getting very cold this weekend. I might add that when we stayed in a hotel on 9/30 it was $245 per night. I have complained, screamed, yelled and pretty much I have been asked to be patient, that I was told that this was a ongoing project which by the nature of them, could come with some delays. I am outraged. I was told no such thing. I think all they wanted was a signed contract and a month's rent and a month's security. I'm living in the middle of a construction zone. People are constantly knocking on my door to fix something. (Yesterday they had to swap out 20 electrical outlets for more energy efficient ones--yeah, right). I have asked whether there is a certificate of occupancy for this building and got no answer. I have asked when we will have heat and have just got the run around. I think they don't have enough workers on the job and there is poor communication. Any ideas on how to light the fire under these people? Any help you can give would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:53 PM

63 posts, read 115,587 times
Call 311 No one should be living there it's uninhabitable.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:08 PM

913 posts, read 2,269,597 times
That's horrible. 311 is the city so they'll take awhile before they get back to you, but since it has to do with heat and hot water - I'm sure they'll get back to you sooner.

Is this a regular walk up building or some new high rise? And is this a lottery apartment high rise or regular rent?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Hi - Thanks for your response. This is a regular 5-story walkup - Regular rent. We loved the concept of old outside, new inside. If it weren't for the fact that the property management folks can't run a project, this would be a great place to live. I think it will, anyway but it's not ready now, that's for sure.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that and clearly the units weren't ready for prime time, but they rented it out anyways. Management companies and landlords should really be held accountable for this, but instead they get alwyas get away with this kinda stuff and nobody has the money or luxury or the time for a lawyer.

Is the management company/landlord given you all these concessions to apologize?

Are you going to stick it out or leave?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:41 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,762,499 times
Whats the name of the management company/landlord.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 PM

9,001 posts, read 10,155,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriM View Post
We moved into a pre-war gut renovated building on the UES on 9/30/14. We rented what was the model unit. When we saw it, it looked beautiful. The only thing that we knew was not finished was the second bathroom but the realtor told us that would be 1-2 days at most. From day 1 there have been problems. I do not think this building is ready for tenants but there are 3 apartments rented now (out of a possible 10). The first thing we found out was that there was no gas for heat or stove. We only found that out on 9/30 when we moved in. Con Ed was working on it, supposedly. Next there was no running water, then no hot water (we had to sleep in a hotel on 9/30). They got the water issues squared away. The second bathroom is still not finished. Though it has been promised for Monday (11/10). There is still no heat. They have provided us with 3 space heaters and 1 hot plate. Also a 3-week pass to a local gym where we can shower when the water situation precludes us taking a shower (that has happened twice). The couple on the first floor rented a duplex which is not ready and they are living in the next door apartment. Workmen are still building the duplex--I hear the jackhammering all day. They promised the duplex to the tenants by Thursday but I don't think that's going to happen given their track record. They have given us a 30% rent abatement for November (which I argued for--they didn't want to give anything) and $300 towards December's rent in case we want to stay in a hotel--it will be getting very cold this weekend. I might add that when we stayed in a hotel on 9/30 it was $245 per night. I have complained, screamed, yelled and pretty much I have been asked to be patient, that I was told that this was a ongoing project which by the nature of them, could come with some delays. I am outraged. I was told no such thing. I think all they wanted was a signed contract and a month's rent and a month's security. I'm living in the middle of a construction zone. People are constantly knocking on my door to fix something. (Yesterday they had to swap out 20 electrical outlets for more energy efficient ones--yeah, right). I have asked whether there is a certificate of occupancy for this building and got no answer. I have asked when we will have heat and have just got the run around. I think they don't have enough workers on the job and there is poor communication. Any ideas on how to light the fire under these people? Any help you can give would be great.
I think you have grounds to break the damn lease.....
That sounds like a living Hell.
I have broken leases without even thinking twice-
You may not be as impulsive & quick tempered as I am though....

If you broke it, would you be able to get in somewhere else right away?
Then turn around & fight to get your security dep. back.
Just don't be homeless in the freezing cold weather......

Old 11-08-2014, 11:11 PM

It is hard and since he/she just moved in, the management company might be spiteful and chase her down for the rent since there is probably 10 to 11 months still left on the lease and when added up - it is a substantial amount of money.

What is the name of the management company?

Old 11-09-2014, 05:04 AM

I've been talking to the other tenants in the building and we are all pretty much incensed. My second bathroom is supposed to be finished on Monday (11/10). The Property Management folks told me that they'd be working in my unit on Saturday and finishing up on Monday--promising me that they would be finished on Monday. By 11:30 am on Saturday no one had started work so I texted the super to ask if anyone was coming 'cause I had to leave. He told me that no one was coming until Monday. I told him what the PM had said. He said he'd get back to me. He got back to me and said sorry, there was a mixup. Someone would be coming to my unit that day. This is the BS I get from these folks. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. The second bathroom has a sink/medicine design that is just crazy. The sink looks like a subway urinal and the medicine cabinet is installed so that if you washed your face in the sink and lifted your head, you'd bash your head on the bottom of the cabinet. I have complained about this--supposedly someone would look into it. Problem is, I think they think this is a cool design. Of course we did not see this when we looked at the apartment because this bathroom was not done. We assumed the 2nd bathroom would look like the first. When they came to install the sink first they couldn't find it (they're using some of the empty apartments to store fixtures) then they couldn't find the instructions. Then when they found them they were in another language. When I saw what they'd installed I collapsed in giggles--then I got mad.
The Property Management company is YWA Associates (Yung Woo). Mr. Woo is a young builder and I think he thinks he's hip and this was supposed to be a hip place to live--It's not. It's called The Hive (crazy name, huh?). Mr. Woo is a builder who's been spotlighted on the Million Dollar Listing NY show--He's the one who did the sky vault (a glass garage). BTW that was not delivered on time either and is a dumb concept. I knew nothing about this when I signed the lease and it means nothing at all to me--just wanted to give you some background. What I want is a complete apartment. We are paying $4700 per month and I don't need all of this aggravation. They gave us a 30% rent abatement for November, space heaters, hot plate and a 21-day pass to Asphalt Green to placate us. I'm spending an inordinate amount of money eating out because I really can't be bothered trying to cook on that one-burner hot plate. I'd like to stay because it's getting cold and I don't want to go through the hassle of moving but I want them to be done and I want heat, not space heaters. I'm afraid of what my electrical bill will be because we're using these heaters. If my bathroom is not finished on Monday and we have no heat I will be calling Con Ed first, then I think I'll get the other tenants together and we'll provide a united front to go to 311. Sorry for the length of this response...
Attached Thumbnails
New apartment issues - No heat, promises broken-10669111_10205357886496294_7321968418688564956_o.jpg  

Old 11-09-2014, 05:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,960,557 times
Certainly a MINIMUM concession should have been a return of October and November's rent...or at least one of them.
Best joke is the $300 allowance for a hotel stay...I think they forgot one of the zeros.

Quote:

Three space heaters and a hotplate
Who pays for the electricity?
(Sorry, I just re-read the last post and see that you do...yes, the next Con-Ed bill will be nuts and the one after that will be enough to cancel Christmas.) Can you plug the heaters into the hallway with heavy duty extension cords?

Can I guess that you are on the UES near Second Avenue. The new subway line-to-be has played havoc with Con-Ed's gas lines. I think they are all being replaced/upgraded. I just hope there's no explosion along the way!

I would NEVER move into an unfinished apartment even if the developer who swore everything would be hunky-dory was named ABRAHAM LINCOLN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City