Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 05:09 PM

100 posts, read 175,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
@hopeful1,

I have heard they are now requesting that. It is ridiculous. No one can remember transactions for years ago. To be clear, most people should just be having their job direct deposit coming in and nothing else. I can understand if you make a withdrawal of $100 and only use $60 so you deposit back the unused $40. What they are asking for is ridiculous, but they want to verify one has NO other source of income except their main employer.

@CityGuy99 - CREDIT CARD payments are deductions since funds are being used from the checking account to pay them. If you are having CREDIT CARD money refunded to your DEBIT CARD/Checking account - that would raise a RED FLAG WITH ME.
It wasn’t credit card money being refunded. It was a credit card payment . The money was being deducted from my checking account but the city worker reviewing my application thought my credit card account was a checking account and that I was moving money (depositing) from one bank account to another. The transaction on my bank statement clearly saids “credit card payment” but I guess they did’t read that carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 PM

32 posts, read 54,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
First, is your lottery section 8, low or middle income lottery?

NYC Housing is going to call more than 25 people to come in for the 2 bedroom because when you or anyone else applies, no information is verified. All the information is verified after someone is called in to supply documentation (i.e. pay stubs, drivers license, tax return, etc). Remember that not everyone that gets called in will get an apartment because sometimes the person called in doesn't met the credit score requirements, was employed when they applied and is now unemployed, lied on the application, or the background check did not go through. These reasons will get some rejected. So if 25 people get called in and all pass then you are out of luck unless you were part of the 25. If someone on the 25 has issues and they decided to decline that person then you are in luck because they'll move forward with you assuming everything checks out fine on your part.

This whole process is NOT smooth. Also remember that just because you applied doesn't guarantee you'll get asked to come in because the computer randomly selects people as this is a "lottery"". They told me the computer randomly selects people. So lets say for your lottery had 50,000 people apply, but the building only has 200 units, the computer will randomly select people to come in. Of course, the computer will select more than 200 because not all 200 applications that are selected in numeric order might meet the eligibility requirements because of what i stated above about things not checking out.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions and good luck.
I have a question, please help me!
I don’t have paystub, the boss paid me cash, she gave me payroll, That are different? Do I need a notarized letter from her?

Old 02-24-2018, 09:46 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hml111 View Post
I have a question, please help me!
I don’t have paystub, the boss paid me cash, she gave me payroll, That are different? Do I need a notarized letter from her?
Or maybe a company letter head with your boss signature. You may want to check with the marketing agent first.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 PM

243 posts, read 309,950 times
@HML111,

If you have a cash paying job, you maybe getting yourself in trouble by entering this process. Should you get selected and they proceed with the background check, or even before, they'll find it odd that you get paid in CASH and get no PAYROLL taxes or deductions of any kind.

You maybe doing yourself a disservice and possibly get a call from the IRS. This is America and NYC, and everyone wants a piece of the $$ pie. Uncle Sam is waiting.

@HopeFul1 - Yes, for low income, they do inspections and annual verification of income and auto-adjust rents based on income. They don't want to award someone a luxury studio in a doorman building for $350 a month and all of a sudden Tyrone and Shaniqua move in and they split the rent 3 ways and everyone is paying $110 a month. They surely will NOT stand for that. You know people are always trying to GAME the system.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Or maybe a company letter head with your boss signature. You may want to check with the marketing agent first.
Thank you for you help !
I work in a small company, if I want that letter , my boss will give me.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
@HML111,

If you have a cash paying job, you maybe getting yourself in trouble by entering this process. Should you get selected and they proceed with the background check, or even before, they'll find it odd that you get paid in CASH and get no PAYROLL taxes or deductions of any kind.

You maybe doing yourself a disservice and possibly get a call from the IRS. This is America and NYC, and everyone wants a piece of the $$ pie. Uncle Sam is waiting.

@HopeFul1 - Yes, for low income, they do inspections and annual verification of income and auto-adjust rents based on income. They don't want to award someone a luxury studio in a doorman building for $350 a month and all of a sudden Tyrone and Shaniqua move in and they split the rent 3 ways and everyone is paying $110 a month. They surely will NOT stand for that. You know people are always trying to GAME the system.
Thank you for your help!
I work in a small company, my boss paid those taxes,I got cash after taxes, just no check. Her accounteant will give me payrolls. OMG ,I will get trouble?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times
I'm confused by your situation.

Are you paying income taxes on the cash? Or is somehow your boss paying the taxes? Did you file a tax return for 2016 and 2017? Do they show the cash income?

Two things set off alarm bells for the marketing agents. We've seen it here time and again. First thing: overtime. Second thing: cash income.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Another thing that's problematic during this process is to have various deposits going into your checking or savings accounts. A previous poster pointed this out and gave very good advice: The only thing going into your accounts should be your salary. Period.

So avoid doing things like putting a dinner for yourself and 10 friends on your credit card (to get mileage or points, let's say).

When those people pay you back, all of those checks and QuikPay, PayPal and Venmo deposits that appear in your bank account will be scrutized.

So when you start applying for these lotteries, simplify your financial situation. Close any dormant bank accounts, and think twice before accepting something as innocent as a check for your college graduation. It won't disqualify you, but you will have to account for it.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-25-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I'm confused by your situation.

Are you paying income taxes on the cash? Or is somehow your boss paying the taxes? Did you file a tax return for 2016 and 2017? Do they show the cash income?

Two things set off alarm bells for the marketing agents. We've seen it here time and again. First thing: overtime. Second thing: cash income.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Another thing that's problematic during this process is to have various deposits going into your checking or savings accounts. A previous poster pointed this out and gave very good advice: The only thing going into your accounts should be your salary. Period.

So avoid doing things like putting a dinner for yourself and 10 friends on your credit card (to get mileage or points, let's say).

When those people pay you back, all of those checks and QuikPay, PayPal and Venmo deposits that appear in your bank account will be scrutized.

So when you start applying for these lotteries, simplify your financial situation. Close any dormant bank accounts, and think twice before accepting something as innocent as a check for your college graduation. It won't disqualify you, but you will have to account for it.
Thank you for your help!
My boss paid the taxes , I have W2 every year. I did the tax return . This is small company, I know my boss goes to see accountant every three month ,I think she paid the taxes every three month.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
Hi! I haven't interviewed for a lottery in years and wondered: last time, they asked for six months of checking statements and one months of savings. Is that still the case, or are they asking for six months for both? Thank you.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:02 PM

174 posts, read 311,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hml111 View Post
Thank you for your help!
My boss paid the taxes , I have W2 every year. I did the tax return . This is small company, I know my boss goes to see accountant every three month ,I think she paid the taxes every three month.
Kind of sounds like your boss was paying estimated taxes quarterly. W2 or 1099?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery