Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 PM

100 posts, read 137,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
Anyone familiar with this situation?

I got an email yesterday saying I had been rejected from a housing lottery and that a letter is coming in the mail which will explain why and detail the appeal process. I had never been in contact with this building before, so I’m guessing they rejected me based on the income on my initial application, which was too low. I now fall in the lowest income bracket for a 1 bedroom for two people. Will this be my only chance to appeal? What are my chances here? What would even be the next step from here?
I’m worried they won’t hold the apartment during the appeal process.

Appeal with documentation of your current income(last 6 paystubs). They will reinstate your application at the appropriate position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:02 AM

8 posts, read 10,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydoll75 View Post
I thought people were given log numbers then called in number order. Today I was told that everyone gets a number then the lottery is held. Once the lottery pulls out application those are the applicants that will be called in number order. That means the list skips. Smh, they should really clarify how the actual housing lottery and selection is done.
I'm confused. So what is the point of giving the application numbers and posting them on Housing Connect website if these are just preliminary numbers without any meaning.
I have a number 180+ in one of the lotteries. Still, I may not be called...

Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 PM

100 posts, read 137,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydoll75 View Post
I thought people were given log numbers then called in number order. Today I was told that everyone gets a number then the lottery is held. Once the lottery pulls out application those are the applicants that will be called in number order. That means the list skips. Smh, they should really clarify how the actual housing lottery and selection is done.

You just stated exactly how it's done. It wouldn't be a lottery if they just called everyone in order of # given.

You are assigned numbers according to when you applied
Then applications are chosen randomly
Those numbers are put into 2 categories
1)Disability-CB - Municipal employees
2) Everyone else

Then the numbers that were chosen are put into each category as it applies, filling up category 1 first
Those people are contacted for an interview.
If you are eligible you then go in the order of the chosen numbers in your category

Exp: I have #8** for a neighborhood that I fit in for category #2 . I am eligible. there has been only 1 person to sign a lease and the agency told me I'm #2.

If there are only 4 units and 6 people become eligible then they go by the lowest # first

Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 PM

186 posts, read 267,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherFowler View Post
You just stated exactly how it's done. It wouldn't be a lottery if they just called everyone in order of # given.

You are assigned numbers according to when you applied
Then applications are chosen randomly
Those numbers are put into 2 categories
1)Disability-CB - Municipal employees
2) Everyone else

Then the numbers that were chosen are put into each category as it applies, filling up category 1 first
Those people are contacted for an interview.
If you are eligible you then go in the order of the chosen numbers in your category

Exp: I have #8** for a neighborhood that I fit in for category #2 . I am eligible. there has been only 1 person to sign a lease and the agency told me I'm #2.

If there are only 4 units and 6 people become eligible then they go by the lowest # first
Please Explain what you mean by "You are assigned numbers according to when you applied"
Applicants are not chosen randomly ! there is a process that they must follow that is in keeping with Log #
and one of the reasons that a few developments had to pause to be audited recently as the New marketing handbook states . maybe you are privy to some information that we aren't aware of ! that would kinda be all types of wrong if they do it that way .

Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 PM

26 posts, read 15,606 times
The log number you get when you apply correlates to when you applied? That doesn’t make much sense, they wait until the application period is complete before assigning log numbers for a reason.

The handbook says they have to call people in order of their log number, not randomly. The only deviation is for preferences. So I assume CB or municipal employees or another preference are separated out and then called by lowest log number within that group. At least that’s how it’s supposed to work according to the handbook. Not sure the City is properly auditing the process though.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 AM

133 posts, read 130,303 times
I received an email that states my application is in process, can anyone shed any light as to what that could mean? How far in limbo am I with the "in process"?

Old 07-24-2018, 09:05 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1451 View Post
The log number you get when you apply correlates to when you applied? That doesn’t make much sense, they wait until the application period is complete before assigning log numbers for a reason.

The handbook says they have to call people in order of their log number, not randomly. The only deviation is for preferences. So I assume CB or municipal employees or another preference are separated out and then called by lowest log number within that group. At least that’s how it’s supposed to work according to the handbook. Not sure the City is properly auditing the process though.
This is not rocket science. No, the log number doesn't correlate to when you apply. When the lottery closes, a computer automatically and randomly generates a log number for everyone.

If you are number 1, with CB preference, you will receive the first call. If you are number 1 without CB preference, you will get your call as soon as everyone with CB preference is called - or better yet the percentage of CB's that is indicated on the advertisement. Same applies with municipal and disability. After they get their calls, you, as number 1 - without any preference will get yours. If you are number 49,000, you will be the 49,000th person they will contact after CB, disability, and municipals are called, etc.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:19 AM

26 posts, read 15,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This is not rocket science. No, the log number doesn't correlate to when you apply. When the lottery closes, a computer automatically and randomly generates a log number for everyone.

If you are number 1, with CB preference, you will receive the first call. If you are number 1 without CB preference, you will get your call as soon as everyone with CB preference is called - or better yet the percentage of CB's that is indicated on the advertisement. Same applies with municipal and disability. After they get their calls, you, as number 1 - without any preference will get yours. If you are number 49,000, you will be the 49,000th person they will contact after CB, disability, and municipals are called, etc.
Right, that's all basically what I said. I was responding to the above poster who said that the log number is based on when you apply/when your application is received.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:59 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,073 times
Haven't read through every post, and someone else probably answered, but when you apply on Housing Connect, whether it's the first day of the lottery or the last, has no relationship to what log number you get. Don't know how that misconception got started. They don't draw the numbers until the lottery is closed. Someone else probably answered this. Maybe I even misread the post. Other things determine when you get called by the marketing agent (there are certain preferences, etc., which are described in the guidelines).

Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,910 times
Does anyone know if you sign a lease through the affordable housing program, if you can apply to another lottery? Or are you ineligible to move until your lease is up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery