Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 PM

518 posts, read 825,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do pro gun states like Texas simply have much less armed robberies?

Also, I say this is not about gun rights, but more like the poor native NYers have no other choice but to rob the wealthier transplants at their hipster coffee shops.

This is really about economics and the plight that gentrification is causing, which in turn is about the overall issue with income and wealth disparity in this country.

Even if we let everyone have guns, the poor will still try and take from the rich if that is their only choice. And if the rich are armed to, then we will just have shootouts after shootouts.
The FBI crime stats for 2011 say Texas had 50.21 robberies by firearm per 100,000 people while New York had 23.28, less than half of the Texas rate, so it would seem that the possibility of a victim having a gun does not deter a dirtbag. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...E&hl=en#gid=10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM

725 posts, read 805,536 times
Most of Upstate NY is sensible when it comes to the right to bear arms and the second amendment. NYC is full of ignorant liberals and the biggest supporters of gun restrictions tend to be Jews who control the media and city politics.

If NYS was free of the hoards of NYC, it would be much different. Still in upstate New York it is easier to get concealed carry permits and much easier to get home and business permits.

Getting a handgun permit for the home or business can be done it is just a headache and pain. Concealed carry is virtually banned with few exceptions. It will take a lawsuit to change things. In Washington, D.C. Of all places there is a suit that was filed and a federal appeals court judge ruled dc must allow concealed carry. Dc established a restrictive concealed carry permit just like nyc and that is being challenged. Hopefully the original judge rules that that restrictive system is not in line with his ruling mandating a concealed carry permit system.

People who intend to do harm aren't going to follow the laws so all these tyrannical gun restrictions do is keep guns out of the hands of regular citizens and make them subject to the thugs with knives or guns. Part of the problem is NYC is too big and it is ridiculous that it is 5 counties. It is terrible that way of life can be dictated by people who live in a totally different neighborhood or county. If each county was separate then we could just move away from the thugs and say fu to anti white diversity

Old 11-15-2014, 10:46 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Arizona that has "Constitutional Carry" ... no permit is required to carry a handgun either openly or concealed. ... Sure there have been armed robberies, most involve the narcotics trade. ... criminals have absolutely no idea whether their potential victims are armed
Read the chart in post #11. The armed robbery & shooting rates in AZ are double those of NY, so it would appear that legal handguns have no deterrent effect in AZ.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
The FBI crime stats for 2011 say Texas had 50.21 robberies by firearm per 100,000 people while New York had 23.28, less than half of the Texas rate, so it would seem that the possibility of a victim having a gun does not deter a dirtbag. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...E&hl=en#gid=10
I am actually surprised

Is that NY, NY state or NYC compared to all of Texas.

NY State has different guns laws than NYC. You can get weapons easier on Long Island or Upstate than in NYC.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:59 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
I think in practice, I wouldn't use a gun even if I had one. Then there's also the aspect that I highly doubt I'll incur a situation where I'll be held up like this given where I live and hang out. The only situation in my family's history where this has been an issue was when my grandfather was shot down classic mob-style in '62, but this was in Chicago.

I think in the end, I don't really care as I always vote republican and they tend to go for pro-gun. I just want lower taxes. But then, I also live a very non-paranoid life, and if this were to happen to me, well, it happens I guess. If I cared more, I probably wouldn't even consider living in a city.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:50 AM

106,664 posts, read 108,810,853 times
ny is lower in almost all aspects of gun crime than texas. of course you have to wonder how much is not reported.

Gun crime statistics by US state: download the data. Visualised | World news | The Guardian

Old 11-16-2014, 04:56 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Armed robbers take down a cafe full of patrons it Ditmas park. No was in a position to confront the robber, because of the draconian NYC/NYS gun laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/ny...l?ref=nyregion

When are people in this city going to stand up to the looney left wing, and demand the right to be armed and defend themselves?
That is not the solution as I doubt that most people in NYC want to be carrying a gun with them at all times.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:02 AM

before nyc switched handgun permit types odds were most permit holders carried under the old target hunting permit system since it was only an administrative violation if you got caught..

there were most likely armed people on the train around you or on the street every day and no one knew it. there were no shoot outs like the wild west either.

those that felt comfortable carried and those that didn't did not but the bottom line was you never knew how many or whom was armed around you..

there are about 35,0000 permit holders in nyc not including another 37,000 police. .

Licenses held by retired law enforcement officers (14,809). Retired police officers are usually permitted to keep and carry a personal handgun.

Premises licenses, residential (14,439). Licenses issued to residents to keep a handgun at home.

“Carry licenses” for security guards (3,241). Licenses issued to actively employed security guards to carry a holstered handgun during their regular work shifts. The guard may carry the gun directly to or from his or her residence and workplace. At all other times, the handgun must be stored, unloaded, in a locked container, either at home (within New York State) or the workplace.

“Full carry” licenses (2,291). Licenses issued to residents who have demonstrated a specific need to carry a holstered handgun on their persons. The category includes people who have received threats or who regularly handle large amounts of cash.

“Special carry” licenses (1,046). Similar to “full carry” licenses, these licenses are issued to residents of New York State who live outside of New York City but have gone through the valid process for carrying a handgun in their home jurisdiction.

Premises licenses, commercial (872). Licenses issued to business owners to keep a firearm at their place of business.

“Limited carry” licenses (241). Similar to “full carry” licenses, except that the license carries specific conditions and restrictions — for example, carrying a holstered handgun while making a cash delivery from a place of business to a specific bank branch. The handgun must be stored at the place of business listed at all other times.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-16-2014 at 05:42 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 06:44 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Way too many idiots and hot heads in NYC for everyone to be armed. For anyone from out of state, you just don't understand. But think of when you visit as a tourist and laugh at how we honk our car horns at each other for almost no logical reasoning whatsoever. Its cultural.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 AM

why would you ever think everyone would be armed or even qualify for a permit?

anyone who wants a permit to have something at home could get one now as long as they have a clean record. do you see everyone running to get one?

first off the costs are very restrictive in nyc . so those who want one will get one any way without a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City