Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:13 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times

Advertisements

Armed robbers take down a cafe full of patrons it Ditmas park. No was in a position to confront the robber, because of the draconian NYC/NYS gun laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/ny...l?ref=nyregion

When are people in this city going to stand up to the looney left wing, and demand the right to be armed and defend themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
BBMW:
Quote:
because of the draconian NYC/NYS gun laws. When are people in this city going to stand up to the looney left wing, and demand the right to be armed and defend themselves?
I hate to say it but it will never happen. The state and local governments in both of those entities do not trust the people to "bear arms" for the purposes of self defense as most other states do. But it goes deeper than that, Cuomo's comments about those who do not think like him not being welcome in New York State goes to the heart of the issue. Those who do not think like him tend to support the 2nd Amendment. New York's draconian gun laws are designed to oppress Cuomo's and those who do think like him's, political enemies. It's governmental oppression pure and simple. There is no other rational reason for it. It protects no one except those who are determined to inflict harm on other innocent people. These are the types of people that "Progressives" sympathize with and constantly make excuses for. Criminals will always have guns and have the upper hand in states such as New York in spite of their tough gun laws. Do they actually think that criminals will be deterred by these laws? In New York State and City the inmates are truly in charge of the asylum. Want proof of the types of people they support:
Quote:
Undocumented immigrants in New York City who are arrested will no longer face the threat of being deported or held at Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) centers for undetermined periods of time.--www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall
To really add insult to injury DeBlasio is refusing to enforce federal immigration laws. Do you think that the justice department will come down on him like a ton of bricks as they did to Arizona and others for trying to enforce federal immigration laws which the federal government refuses to do? I won't hold my breath.

I feel for you, sometimes the best alternative is to just get the hell out of there as I did and never look back.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-15-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 01:38 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,103 times
in NYS, you're required BY LAW to flee. You're not allowed to protect yourself - only as a last resort, and God help you if you kill the perp. You better have have big $ and lawyer up.

pathetic

Old 11-15-2014, 05:58 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
When are people in this city going to ... demand the right to be armed and defend themselves?
I'm not sure we need shootouts in coffee shops. Armed robberies still occur in states that permit open carry, or issue concealed carry permits like library cards.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:18 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
bigjake54:
I live in a state, Arizona that has "Constitutional Carry" status, meaning as long as you are not prohibited by law no permit is required to carry a handgun either openly or concealed. Alaska, Vermont, and Wyoming also have similar laws. Sure there have been armed robberies, most involve the narcotics trade. I can assure you that many people out here carry handguns as they go about their daily business. They don't have to deal with all of the bureaucratic nonsense that states such as New York does. I have yet to hear of any shootouts occurring while out in public places by those who are lawfully armed. You will note the word lawfully. The difference out here and in other states that do not restrict the lawful bearing of arms is that criminals have absolutely no idea whether their potential victims are armed and know how to use those weapons efficiently. Chances are in states such as ours where guns are a way of life it's a good bet that the intended victim knows how to use that weapon and use it well.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,744,253 times
[quote=bigjake54;37288228]I'm not sure we need shootouts in coffee shops. Armed robberies still occur in states that permit open carry, or issue concealed carry permits like library cards.[/QUOTE]

And there's nothing wrong with that!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
Do pro gun states like Texas simply have much less armed robberies?

Also, I say this is not about gun rights, but more like the poor native NYers have no other choice but to rob the wealthier transplants at their hipster coffee shops.

This is really about economics and the plight that gentrification is causing, which in turn is about the overall issue with income and wealth disparity in this country.

Even if we let everyone have guns, the poor will still try and take from the rich if that is their only choice. And if the rich are armed to, then we will just have shootouts after shootouts.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,030 times
NYC has always been a ******* city. You basically give up your second ammendment rights here, and in return you recieve:

higher taxes, crowded streets, racism, filth, stench, traffic, $16 bridge tolls, packed subway cars, noisey neighbors, second hand weed smoke, cops that look and act like rikers inmates, broken road surfaces, people who can't drive or park, overpriced real estate, roaches, bedbugs, rats and people who refuse to do the job they are paid for.

There tends to be a lot of people who train martial arts when gun laws are so strict. I think what the NY government actually wants people to do during the course of an armed robbery is punch and kick and grapple with the bullets of an armed suspect.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:13 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do pro gun states like Texas simply have much less armed robberies?
The answer to that would be a big NO.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The answer to that would be a big NO.
please back up your claim with data.

anyone can type the word no on the internet.

provide proof...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City