Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:53 PM

30 posts, read 43,409 times

Advertisements

Last month I moved into a Basement apartment in Brooklyn. There is only one window and it is connected to a shaft that enters onto the floor of a small adjacent building. The other building is not 'finished' yet. There are large containers of enamel, joint compound and other building materials within. The fumes are going right down the shaft and into my apartment. When I first moved in I thought the smell was the paint and caulking used to fix up my apartment after the other people moved out. But when I got my internet connection put in I saw where my window actually went to.

I have told the management company about this last week and they said it would be taken care of 'right away' but it has not. A second email to them has so far been unanswered.

Other than this problem I like this apartment. I had a hard time finding a decent place in my price range. I'd like to stay but I don't want to DIE.

I have been getting light headaches and feeling weak for the past couple of weeks. I can't be 100% sure it is caused by the fumes.

What if they do nothing?
Should I contact the Dept Of Buildings?
Or a lawyer?
These things would obviously ruin my chances of getting my lease renewed next year, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Call 311
and go see a Doctor ASAP.

good luck

Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 PM

57 posts, read 57,100 times
File environmental complaint with NYDEP.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:

There is only one window and it is connected to a shaft that enters onto the
floor of a small adjacent building.
I don't quite understand...do you want to amplify?

DO you think this is a legal apartment? A single window certainly cannot legally be only to a shaft from which you cannot escape. And it certainly cannot have egress only into an adjacent building.

Call 311 if there are flammable items being stored outside your "window."

Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 PM

I don't know if it is legal or not. Yes it is a single window going to a shaft that I cannot escape.
Still no response from the management company. If nothing happens by the end of the week I call 311.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:45 PM

576 posts, read 1,547,536 times
Here are rules for renting a basement. Can I rent out my basement as an apartment? | City of New York

Last edited by meemsone; 11-17-2014 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 PM

This is not a one or two family dwelling. Its a building with 3 floors and 6 + apartments.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
if the apartment is filled with toxic fumes, it's an emergency. Call the management company and tell them to send someone right now or you're going to call 911 and a hazmat team will condemn the apartment and slap them with fines

Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 PM

I called 311, they sent the complaint to DEP who apparently "investigated" it on the very same day (I was told they would contact me within 5 days but they did not). They didn't come to my apartment. If they looked at the outside of the building they couldn't see anything, unless they somehow found the super's number, called him and had him come and unlock the building next door...
The DEP apparently sent the complaint to the "Bureau of Environmental Compliance" for further action. The service request is now "closed".

Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Gowanus, are you near the canal?

The Gowanus Canal is the most toxic waterway in America.
MOVE NOW !!!

do not file reports, or call 311. move, move, move. do not live in a basement, ever !

To me, this sounds like an ILLEGAL basement that was turned into an apartment.

you need 2 types of egress, you don't, it is illegal, I'm almost certain of it. One window opening to a shaftway, cannot be legal.

do not live in a basement, it isn't healthy.
basements were not meant to be habitable.

read up on "Love Canal", eye opening read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: