U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 09:16 AM

203 posts, read 152,167 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed that few New Yorkers are not discussing the latest "fare beating" incident.

"A brutal video catches an NYPD officer bash an alleged fare beater in the head with a baton, opening a gash in the man’s head and sending him stumbling around the Brooklyn subway station in a daze." See the below link:

NYPD officer smashes alleged fare beater in head with baton - NY Daily News

Why is such brutal force routinely used when apprehending young men (and women) of color? Also, whatever happened to simply issuing a ticket for "fare beating?"

Old 11-22-2014, 09:41 AM

205 posts, read 434,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
Why is such brutal force routinely used when apprehending young men (and women) of color?
The cop is black. What does this matter^^^^?

And that's only half of the END of the video. You don't see anything that happened before that. We don't know what that person did to the cop. Also, does it make sense to keep resisting arrest after you just been clubbed over the head...No. Yet, he keeps resisting. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 AM

10,695 posts, read 20,864,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post
It matters because OP and her three other usernames enjoy stirring the race pot.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I seriously doubt that he would have used the same level of force, if the fare jumper was white. Black (and Latino) cops tend to be far more brutal with people of color.

Anyhow, I'm happy that I live in an area where fare evasion is not met with such extreme force. The DC metro police spend their time focusing on real crime...

Metro fare evasion: Transit police may add alarms - YouTube

Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It matters because OP and her three other usernames enjoy stirring the race pot.
If you do not like the discussion, kindly see your way out of the thread.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 AM

205 posts, read 434,336 times
Quote:

1. I seriously doubt that he would have used the same level of force, if the fare jumper was white. Black (and Latino) cops tend to be far more brutal with people of color.

2. Anyhow, I'm happy that I live in an area where fare evasion is not met with such extreme force. The DC metro police are focused on real crime...
1. Ya...okay. sure

2. And you keep posting in this board. A NYC board. ah-hah.

Quote:
If you do not like the discussion, kindly see your way out of the thread.
If you don't like our responses kindly see your way out of our board. PEACE!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
1. Ya...okay. sure

2. And you keep posting in this board. A NYC board. ah-hah.
I enjoy highlighting police brutality.
Quote:

If you don't like our responses kindly see your way out of our board. PEACE!
She wasn't addressing the issue. I am however responding.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:12 AM

490 posts, read 610,580 times
You can't judge what really went down considering the video edited out everything that led up to the clubbing. If you think this is how all fare-beaters are treated, then you are fool. But more likely, as someone has already mentioned, you are just trying to stir the race/police brutality pot.

You're no better than this country's tabloid media who rush to point fingers and reach for the most shocking headlines. Keep your junk on the D.C forum please.

A lot of these kids I see on the subway deserve a knock or two in the head. Too bad the NYPD has to do it rather than their ignorant parents.

Quote:
I'm amazed that few New Yorkers are not discussing the latest "fare beating" incident.

"A brutal video catches an NYPD officer bash an alleged fare beater in the head with a baton, opening a gash in the man’s head and sending him stumbling around the Brooklyn subway station in a daze." See the below link:

NYPD officer smashes alleged fare beater in head with baton - NY Daily News

Why is such brutal force routinely used when apprehending young men (and women) of color? Also, whatever happened to simply issuing a ticket for "fare beating?"

Old 11-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
You can't judge what really went down considering the video edited out everything that led up to the clubbing.
The video clearly shows the police officer attempting to arrest the suspect. Shortly after trying to get him to put his hands behind his back, the officer decides to strike him over the head with a baton.

The police officer should have asked for his ID and attempted to issue him a ticket. If he didn't have any ID, then he should have made an arrest, and used mace or a taser gun, if he needed to subdue the suspect.

Quote:
If you think this is how all fare-beaters are treated, then you are fool. But more likely, as someone has already mentioned, you are just trying to stir the race/police brutality pot.
There is a very long history of the NYPD using brutal force on low income inner-city black/brown people. You're a fool if you believe otherwise...

The black officer should not be exempt from facing police brutality charges, just because he is black. This is about using excessive force against an unarmed civilian.
Quote:

A lot of these kids I see on the subway deserve a knock or two in the head. Too bad the NYPD has to do it rather than their ignorant parents.
Many of them do not have any parents, or they have the wrong parents who didn't set a good example. But irrespective of the circumstances, I don't believe the officer needed to use such force. Surely mace would have done the trick.

Last edited by Claire_Springs; 11-22-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 AM

10,695 posts, read 20,864,352 times
Quote:
I enjoy highlighting police brutality.
She wasn't addressing the issue. I am however responding.
Actually I was addressing the issue...which is that you now have 4 screen names on the forum, all of which you have used to stir the pot when it comes to racial issues. Maybe you should contact a moderator if you don't understand how to use the forum. Part of the reason people are only allowed one screen name is so they don't engage in troll behavior. Using 4 screen names to engage in race baiting would qualify as trolling. Look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or