U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2014, 04:22 PM
 
58 posts, read 122,820 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Civil engineering is not the occupation for you if you're looking for a career with less demanding hours.
In my first two years, I was putting in an avg of 70hrs (In at 5:30am Pacific to get ready for the market open and leaving around 8pm) and then going home and scouring the internet for the financial news I may have missed that could help me...at work. I'm willing to bet that the avg CE job is far less stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's definitely going to be more than 3 years away....
Yah, at my undergrad school Calculus 3 was Multivariate Calculus and "Calculus 4" was Vector Analysis. I just lumped it up into "one year." The course description link on CUNY's website isn't working. I've seen the course matrix but it doesn't list prerequisites. I'm actually taking Physics and Chem this Spring via the City College. I reached out to faculty about taking Statics at the same time (because I already have all the math) but I haven't received word back. Also, I already have all liberal arts requirements but you're right, it will be a 3 yr commitment. That's a small price to pay considering the alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2014, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,341 posts, read 32,834,705 times
Reputation: 7661
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalystTherapist View Post
In my first two years, I was putting in an avg of 70hrs (In at 5:30am Pacific to get ready for the market open and leaving around 8pm) and then going home and scouring the internet for the financial news I may have missed that could help me...at work. I'm willing to bet that the avg CE job is far less stressful.
That's a bet you'll lose. I'm in the architecture/engineering industry. My project managers work about 60-70 hours a week on average. 8 AM - 8 PM is a normal Tuesday.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 04:48 PM
 
58 posts, read 122,820 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's a bet you'll lose. I'm in the architecture/engineering industry. My project managers work about 60-70 hours a week on average. 8 AM - 8 PM is a normal Tuesday.
Now, this is news to me! Please do consider that I'm a layman with respect to engineering but every time I see someone surveying either at Secaucus Junction Station or any highway, the engineers look so relaxed! Is there a difference between private sector and public sector engineering jobs (I'd guess 'yes')? So, my aim of 9 to 5 isn't possible if I work for the MTA? The type of job I'm looking for would be akin to a someone working at the power plant or water treatment facility - last resort for budget cuts. Someone wrote on the first page that the CE jobs in the City are low stress, implying exactly this.

Last edited by AnalystTherapist; 11-22-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,319,701 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalystTherapist View Post
Yah, at my undergrad school Calculus 3 was Multivariate Calculus and "Calculus 4" was Vector Analysis. I just lumped it up into "one year." The course description link on CUNY's website isn't working. I've seen the course matrix but it doesn't list prerequisites. I'm actually taking Physics and Chem this Spring via the City College. I reached out to faculty about taking Statics at the same time (because I already have all the math) but I haven't received word back. Also, I already have all liberal arts requirements but you're right, it will be a 3 yr commitment. That's a small price to pay considering the alternative.
It should say Pre or Pre/Co to indicate which classes are prereqs and coreqs. So for instance, for statics it says the following:
CE 23100
Structural Mechanics
Pre: Phys 20700 (C min.),
Math 20200 (C min.)
& CSc 10200 Pass All

So for statics, you need the first term of calculus-based physics, integral calculus, and a computer programming course. (Obviously, you have the calculus already)

Then for something with a coreq, you have structural analysis. So in this case, you need to have Mechanics of Materials and Site Planning already completed, and then Computational Methods and Linear Algebra/Vector Analysis either completed, or taken at the same time. (Same thing as far as the math goes).

CE 34000
Structural Analysis
Pre: CE 33200, CE 20900
Pre/Co: CE 33500 & Math 39200
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 07:14 AM
 
58 posts, read 122,820 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It should say Pre or Pre/Co to indicate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 AM
 
249 posts, read 264,949 times
Reputation: 462
try posting on the work and employment forum, more info, less trolls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,503 posts, read 17,233,695 times
Reputation: 2043
I was in the ce program when I attended ccny. Checkmatechamp nailed it. I wasn't able to pass statics, and ended up just switching to applied math, which I was able to graduate from. The ce program in ccny is very difficult. Much harder than other schools. I was in class of 25 students in statics, of which 13 dropped out, 6 failed, and only 6 passed. I had a friend who was doing ce in stonybrook, averaged 3.4 in his ce courses , transferred to ce in ccny where he had to retake the same courses and was unable to pass. Had another friend who was denied entry to the ccny ce program, went to city tech, and is averaging 3.5 in his courses.

Moral is that ce in ccny is unlike any other. I got all the way up to statics with prof Jin, prof lin and data analysis with prof mahani. Decided against finishing.

Question to checkmate, say I wanted to re apply for a 2nd bachelors in ce at ccny or elsewhere. Would all my prereqs transfer? Id only have a few engineering courses to take. I have physics 207, 208. Math 201,202,203 etc basically everything.

Or would i start from scratch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 10:40 AM
 
58 posts, read 122,820 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The ce program in ccny is very difficult.
What makes the program so difficult? According to the first post by jobaba I should have the quantitative preparation but are there other factors? Is it that the math isn't hard but there's a very unfair distribution of scores - done on purpose to make the program seem more competitive by statistics alone? For example, if you get a 90, will there be a curve that takes your grade down to an 80 because the Department has decided there can be no more than a certain % of As (I hated this about University)?

Consider the statement "math at Columbia is hard." I would respond by saying "math at SUNY, University of California/Texas/wherever is hard due to the nature of the subject." What is it about CUNY that makes the program more difficult than others? Maybe I need to check out a book on Statics to see exactly what you're talking about because I had no problem at all with Vectors, Greene, and Stokes. And that class was full of engineering students.

I read a similar account of the difficulty of the program here:
City College (CCNY CUNY) Grove School of Engineering - Page 2 - College Confidential
One summer I took a Themodynamics course and met 4 Columbia University EE students attempting to take this course at 'lowly' CCNY to get credit for their Columbia Degree. Guess what ?only one survived, the rest withdrew from the course.

Last edited by AnalystTherapist; 11-23-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 AM
 
58 posts, read 122,820 times
Reputation: 55
BTW, can anyone suggest a good resource to reacquaint myself with all the Calculus that I need for Statics and Physics?

I graduated in 2007 and that's the last time I saw any relatively difficult math. I think I can cover Calc I and II by end of Jan, if I start now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,319,701 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Question to checkmate, say I wanted to re apply for a 2nd bachelors in ce at ccny or elsewhere. Would all my prereqs transfer? Id only have a few engineering courses to take. I have physics 207, 208. Math 201,202,203 etc basically everything.

Or would i start from scratch?
All the courses would transfer. There's a girl in my Data Analysis class who has a bachelors in applied math from Hunter, and is going for a second bachelors in CE. So for her, she already has the required math courses (I think she's taking statics as well, so she has the required physics course, whatever is equivalent to 207 over at Hunter).

So yeah, even if you decided to go to another college (like StonyBrook or something), everything should transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalystTherapist View Post
BTW, can anyone suggest a good resource to reacquaint myself with all the Calculus that I need for Statics and Physics?

I graduated in 2007 and that's the last time I saw any relatively difficult math. I think I can cover Calc I and II by end of Jan, if I start now.
Try KhanAcademy or PatrickJMT.

CCNY also has their own videos, which are pretty good: Department of Mathematics, CCNY --- Calculus Video Lessons

Also, for what it's worth, there isn't too much calculus in either physics or statics. For Physics 207 (which is the mechanical physics), I remember having to solve 1 integral in the whole class, and it was really simple. For statics, same thing. (A lot of dot products and cross products, but I wouldn't really consider those to be calculus)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top