U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,523,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Plenty of people are getting married both in and out of NY. Speak for yourself.
Are you one of them?
Quote:
I also find it amazing how people can tell people how to run their lives. He asked for info on engineering, and gave specific reasons as to why he does not want to do medical school and dental school and yet you still push that on him. What's up with that?
Are you an engineer?
Quote:
Most people don't live until 100.
Well, you certainly won't with that attitude.
Quote:
Are you going to pay for his medical or dental school? Since you seem to have all the answers on what he should do, can you help him out financially to do it? If not, you might think a bit more carefully about dispensing advice.
No.. I'm going to have you financially help him out since that Ivy league education is getting you by in nyc. He found your advice irrelevant. You might think a bit more carefully about dispensing advice yourself.

Quote:
As for your military suggestion, you want him to spend potentially 8 years in school, then join the military for awhile to pay that off. That sounds like nothing like the life he said was interested in.
If he does go into MD or DDS, maybe he would like to give back to society and pay off the loans at the same time unless you're going to finance his education for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalystTherapist View Post
I've actually thought about ROTC as well but only if I apply to Ivy League. It doesn't make sense to commit to the military if I go to a cheap school. However, I'm quite sure MD/DDS isn't for me. I just want a safe job with little politics that's 9 to 5. It's going to be either engineering or academia in my current field.
good luck

Last edited by Dangerous-Boy; 11-25-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Engineering will leave you miserable, a low gpa, and an ugly miserable wife unless you seriously love it. Plus with civil engineering, you definitely need to get the PE license which is harder than the MCAT. Plus, you get sued if the bridge collapses.
It all depends on the particular person. I know pre-med biology students who look at my math homework and say they'd never be able to do that, and meanwhile I remember the introductory biology classes I had to take and remember all the chemical reactions going on and I could never do that.

And you can get sued for malpractice as well. That's why doctors have malpractice insurance the same way engineers have coverage.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:53 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,627,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalystTherapist View Post
BTW, can anyone suggest a good resource to reacquaint myself with all the Calculus that I need for Statics and Physics?

I graduated in 2007 and that's the last time I saw any relatively difficult math. I think I can cover Calc I and II by end of Jan, if I start now.
When I went to school years ago, I made use of the "Schaum's Outline" series of booklets, which was a very helpful resource. I don't even know if they are still published. They even had a booklet on "Lagrangian Dynamics."

Old 11-27-2014, 12:28 PM

128 posts, read 161,432 times
why dont you try going for Masters instead if you have BA already. and applying out of NYC, like PA NJ areas. NYC too competitve

Old 12-15-2014, 03:40 AM

6,909 posts, read 9,031,228 times
To be admitted into CUNY-Grove School (esp. for CE, ChE & EE), are applicants implicitly required to have already completed both high school physics and chemistry by the time they apply (ie, during their freshman, sophomore and junior year)? I notice some private schools do not teach physics until senior year and some do not offer AP physics/chem at all - not sure if it will put their graduates at a disadvantage vs. other applicants from Stuy, BSHS, Jericho when applying for engineering majors.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 12-15-2014 at 04:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or